Casuarina cuttings?

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Casuarina cuttings?

Post by Hornet »

Joel wrote:Interesting Matt. I did not realise a cutting chad the ability to not "come true". I recently germinated a bunch of Corymbia ficifolia seedlings. One in particular is prostrate whilst the rest are fastigiate. I wish to graft that onto C. gummifera or C. intermedia if I can find the stock. I'm even considering buying a grafted one and removing the scion just for the root stock as I think this could be a special plant. Would hate to do that to have it return to normal growth though.

Joel
Its possible that these forms that dont grow true from cuttings are not genetic. Only way i see them reverting. As you know a number of factors can cause mutation so these may have been caused by other means
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

John, that had been my thoughts when the nursery was telling me, however I have seen the parent & there is nothing I can deduce that could be the cause, they have 4planted along the fence, only one is prostrate & its in the middle of the line!?!

Joel, grow it on for a while on its own roots so you dont loose the original tree. I would most certainly be interested in a prostrate Corymbia, maybe finally be able to grow a cascade gum :tu:

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Plant Mutations
As many gardeners may have noticed, plants grown from cuttings don't always look like the mother plant, despite what you would expect. International research published in the journal 'Current Biology' helps to explain why. It turns out there are alot of genetic mutations in the new or cloned plant, many more than in the original, which may explain an oddly shaped leaf, for instance. But why or when these mutations occur is a mystery.
Given the course of this thread I was amazed to find the above in this months Gardening Australia, Pg29, NEWS. Now to track down a copy of the original article...

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Matt, I think that is just how genetics work. Nearly all mutations during meosis result in death. Some don't effect survival at all and very few actually increase the likelihood of maturing to a sexually reproductive age. These ones push the species forward evolutionarily speaking.

With mitosis, the sort of mutation that comes secondarily, a similar thing happens. In humans, it could be cancer. In plants, it could be gall. It could, however, be something better for the plant. If humans like it, we will propagate it and therefore increase that genetic material. But it still mostly unstable. Hence variegation often reverts and camellias change colour etc. It is generally less stable than the parent because one mutation can affect many things - all things that were obviously successful the way they were for the parent to be alive. No matter how many ways you can improve something, there are millions of ways you could make it worse.

That is my understanding anyway.

Joel
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Back on topic, On the strength of the hints in this thread i tried some Alocasuarina verticilliata cuttings this year. Last week there was a root coming out the bottom of the pot so it can work!
Alocasuarina verticiliata cuttings.JPG
Alocasuarina verticiliata cuttings rooted 1.JPG
Some have not formed roots yet but have well developed callus so back into the cutting mix for a bit longer.
Alocasuarina verticiliata cuttings callus.JPG
The cuttings were 10-15 cm long from unbranched stems (usually referred to as 'needles' on allocasuarinas). dipped in Rootex G gel. Medium is 50/50 coir peat / medium perlite. Cutting bed has auto intermittent mist to maintain humidity but no bottom heat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses

Post by Hornet »

Congrats on the cas success :) Might have to have another go myself, how long did it take to see the roots?
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

From the pic above...8 weeks to today, so I guess maybe 7 weeks?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Well picked up scott, A picture does say 1000 words, especially with the date stamp on!
Cuttings set 28-11-11. Roots showing at the bottom and potted up 19-1-12. -makes it about 8 weeks at this time of year.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”