No Fuss Propagator

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

No Fuss Propagator

Post by Jan »

I've been using these home made no fuss propagators made by recycling plastic bottles for many years now with excellent results.
2009-05-15_Propagator.jpg
On the left is the basic unit, a bottle cut off at about two thirds of it's height,
invert the funnel shaped top third to become the new "pot",
cut holes in the lid to allow drainage and to wick up water (I use a hole punch,) and
you can add a wick if you like - I use venetian cord,
cover the holes in the lid with a single thickness of newspaper (to stop the mix from falling out).
Cut a hole in side of the lower 2/3 of the bottle, so the screw thread top of the inverted funnel/pot is below the water level(this insures that the water level in this "water well base" does not get too high)
Fill the lower 2/3 of the bottle, the water well, with water.
Fill the "pot" with potting mix to within a finger width of the top (I use seed raising mix).
As you can see from the image I also sometimes use a cut off bottle (lid removed) as a "humid house" for some cuttings or in the case of this image for some seeds. These are celery seed that I started for the vegie garden.

I've used this method for years with excellent results for both cuttings and seed sprouting. The water well base insures that the mix stays at just the right moisture level and it only needs checking occasionally, and with the hole in the side of the base it can't be accidently over watered - great for those cuttings that can take ages to strike.

Happy propagating,

Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp

Re: No Fuss Propagator

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Jan.
I often forget to give good care to cuttings this could be very handy.
I am looking for a heat mat this year but came accross an idea of using the warmth from a tv or fridge to warm up the soil a little. I haven't figured out how to do this with a flat sceen tv :roll:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Nifty idea! I use old terrariums that i have lying around. I have used a simpler/less effective version of a bottle propagator in the past.

Brett, I have used the lights from a fish tank/terrarium before to heat soil. Fluorescent tubes don't produce much heat and its perfect for many things, until they sprout and need light, then they need to be under it. I have heat mats for my python, but he uses them and i don't think he wants to share. They can be bought for about 25 dollars from a good pet store. The fridge is free (assuming you already have one) and allows more space than your flat screen :P But you cant be choosy about the location, and your fridge top probably doesn't receive much light.

JayC
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Brett, I use white foam boxes (fruit & veg stores have some at times) to stand the propagators in, in the cooler months. This insulates them from the cool air rising in the evenings. You can even apply a "tent" cover made of builders plastic (cheap at hardware stores) to keep the temp more even. Cuttings strike all year for me, even when we get snow in winter!

Adding a large water filled bottle painted black (to absorb heat from the sun during the day like a camp shower) to the box with the propagators could help too, or simply invest in a heat pad from the pet shop as JayC suggests and put it in the box. (I can't do this - no power in the shade house)

Let us know how you get on with them,

Jan
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a couple of the foam vegy boxes. I was planning on planting stright in the foam box with glass over the top. I was thinking I could even use the foam lid during winter. My thoughts are if people put thier trees in the garage for over wintering(wich would have no light) then the cuttings won't need sunlight while not in leaf either?

I am trying to fit a heating pad into the budget :|
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

that is brilliant jan thankyou so much for sharing this. in the spring this will help with the junipers project big time. and the birds cant digm up. :lol:
Regards Antonio:
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

My cuttings often have leaves (reduced if they are large or numerous) so I like to allow them light.

I've been considering wraping a strip of black plastic (inexpensive & available from hardware shops) around the water well section of the propagator and securing with an elastic band to use sunlight to warm the air and water in the water well and hopefully the soil in the "pot" section. I'll try it this winter....more trial and error learning.

Should work well for your juniper cuttings - it did for me.

Let us know how you get on or if you have any improvements on the idea,

Jan
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

hey Jan,
thats a great idea, Iv'e seen a commercial version of this propagator in certain shall we say hardware places for about $90.00. I ended up walking out humming "If I were a rich man".

Thanks,
Mac
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Here is a bit of an update on my propagator that I have setup.
cuttings.jpg
cuttings2.jpg
cuttings3.jpg
With the foam surround and a heat pad that I got of ebay I have been able to get the soil temp mostly around the 23 degree mark which is what is meant to be best. I have started to put the lid on at night and open it up during the day to let light in and moderate the heat.
Had to much around a bit with setup so will just wait and see how this goes for now but as I get better I should be able to get some good stuff going all year round.
At the moment I have Manchurian pear hardwood cuttings from 2mm upto about 50mm thick.
Not really a no fuss propagator but I thought I should update here :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Brett is HOT

Post by Steven »

Nice set up there Brett!
That's some great self promotion written in the green paint in the first picture :lol:
S.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

:lol: That was meant to be subliminal now you've stuffed it :?
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

I've also made propagators like this using large fruit juice and water bottles for "grand" cuttings. Most of my gaarden started this way. This might be of use with the swamp cypress cuttings in another recent post,

Jan
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

My Mint Bush cuttings have the cheek to flower.

With their good roots visable through the clear plastic I gues it is time I moved them on to larger pots :D
20210926_140859 Mint bush.jpg
20210926_141013 Mint Bush.jpg
20210926_141141 Mint bush.jpg

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”