Collecting a Callistemon

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Collecting a Callistemon

Post by SueBee »

Can I cut back and later collect this Callistemon?
It is growing in one of my garden borders and I was going to give it the chop until I realised I may be able to collect it for Bonsai.

As you can see I have a problem with English Ivy growing up it, but am working on that whole border problem that I inherited from previous owners -slowly getting it in hand but wonder if I will ever get rid of it.I don't use poisons in my garden so it is pull and chop,pull and chop- and birds do spread it .

The Callistemon was going to be chainsawed to the ground but now I wonder if I cut to the lowest growth and spade around it until next winter- will it have a chance to survive?
Advice on what to do to give it the best survival chance will be appreciated.
Thanks from Sue
Last edited by SueBee on November 24th, 2017, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Collecting a Callistemon

Post by shibui »

most callistemons will sprout from a bare stump so you can cut back as far as necessary and it should sprout new shoots.
Callistemon and many other natives transplant best in warmer months. I am currently digging banksias and callistemon from my grow beds.
Your tree may not be really healthy and vigorous after the ivy competition so it might pay to cut back now, keep the ivy back, feed and water well then dig it late next spring.
Pup in Perth says he can collect callistemon and mels any time of year and that may work for you down there too because it will be much warmer than here.

Cut the roots if you wish. Most people overestimate the size of a root ball and cut too far out from the trunk so when it is dug the roots still need to be cut shorter to fit into a pot so is there any point to it? it is also more difficult than you think to cut roots with a spade.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I with Shibui in that now is a good time for digging bottlebrush, but that is my area. Its difficult to tell form the photos if it is healthy or not, but if it is, now would be OK for digging.
Last edited by Watto on November 24th, 2017, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

There is heaps of new growth on top and it is just coming in to flower, but lower branches have been hacked and died back in the past. All new growth seems to be higher up but that may be because of ivy and other plant competition in the border. I will take your advice thank you Shibui, and cut it back after flowering and dig it next Spring...giving me time to eradicate that darn ivy. Most ivy is gone now from around and off the trunk as I pulled quite a bit yesterday but rain last night will have it shooting again I guess.
Cut the roots if you wish. Most people overestimate the size of a root ball and cut too far out from the trunk so when it is dug the roots still need to be cut shorter to fit into a pot so is there any point to it? it is also more difficult than you think to cut roots with a spade.
yes I found that with the Lillypilly, fortunately my soil is nice and friable so I can dig to half a metre quite easily when it is also damp.

I notice that most experienced Bonsai growers use grow boxes- I do not have access to them, so will half plastic 100 litre barrels do the job half filled with growing medium? ( have plenty of these) Or should I hunt up some polystyrene boxes from the greengrocer? (Hate the way they deteriorate in the weather -so have always avoided them in the past). (The image shows an example of a whole barrel upside down over my bore pump on left)
2009-04-28 03.01.33 (Copy).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Just as an aside, Ivy makes an interesting bonsai too, if it's got a nice gnarly base...
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Really !! I had no idea. I am sure there are some gnarly rooted pieces- all are over five years old except the new seedlings...will go and have hunt..What fun- thanks Melbrackstone!!
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Those half plastic barrels should make good growing boxes Sue. Maybe cut them a bit shorter than half to get a shallower root system. You can use anything that will hold potting mix. Put plenty of drain holes in the bottom so it drains well and you will need to put them up on bricks or something to stop the roots escaping into the ground underneath.
Polystyrene boxes are good for grow boxes. They are just about the right size for most medium sized bonsai. I think they insulate the roots a bit so plants do grow well but you are correct about them breaking down and leave white stuff on clothes whenever you brush past. No one really talks about the byproducts and leftovers after they have disintegrated. Also chooks love to eat them so if you have any free ranging chooks the box soon disappears from around the rootball. Painting the outside helps to stop the deterioration. They are not used much in the fruit and veg industry now so are getting harder to find.

If the Callistemon is growing well up top it should sprout Ok after pruning. It probably won't grow buds down low while the top is growing well - apical dominance so you will need to chop it to get results. Sounds like it would be OK to chop and dig now. I dug the last of the banksias and Leptospermums today. All the ones I transplanted over the last few weeks are looking good.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

That sounds great Shibui. I usually find the blue bins sink to about halfway after a few months so I will just start them at halfway- then the sides will add wind protection..I use home made compost with worm castings but will add some bonsai mix (home made).

Back to the Ivy- here is one I just dug- is it gnarly enough ? - the rock is opal matrix and I hope it will eventually cling to it. Most Ivy I have dug so far are like this - not found any thicker yet - the rest are soaking in the Seasol tub until I hear back as to whether it is a go. The pot is 6 inches long x 2.5" wide (15x7cm). I just did this quickly to get an idea if the ivy is suitable - it won't stay in that pot. I don't have a lot of pots yet.
Ivy1.jpg
Ivy2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SueBee on November 26th, 2017, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Do a search for Ivy bonsai and you'll get a bit of an idea what people have done with it. I can't grow it well enough here in the sub-tropics, but I've seen some pretty specimens online. I think you've got a good start there! Even just as mini plants they're sure to be interesting, imho.

You're only limited by your imagination. :)

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”