Garden palmatums

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Garden palmatums

Post by shibui »

These 2 Acer palmatums were both seed grown and appeared to have dwarf characteristics - short internodes and smaller leaves and slow growth. I offered them to the head gardener for a couple of spots in the garden. :D
They have slowly grown and now the head gardener has decided both were getting a bit too big for the space allocated so they had to go. I volunteered to remove them for her :shifty:
P1220254.JPG
It took nearly 30 min to get the larger one out of the ground
P1220258.JPG
Trunk is actually a fair size now
P1220259.JPG
And roots are reasonably good for a tree that has newer been root pruned before
P1220260.JPG
Long roots are shortened and downward roots reduced even more then excess top growth is removed
P1220262.JPG
The other one is a bit smaller so may possibly be even more dwarf.
P1220265.JPG
Few fine feeder roots this time, just a few larger roots heading down. I've still shortened them substantially so I can fit it into a pot.
P1220266.JPG
The first of these trees has 2 distinct growth patterns. Some shoots have very short internodes and compact growth
P1220256.JPG
but other areas have normal long internodes
P1220257.JPG
:lost:
I have also noted that after pruning this one dies back around the pruning sites worse than many other palmatums and seems to go into the short internode dwarf growth for a year or so around pruned sites.
Not sure how that will affect its suitability for bonsai but I'll work with them to see what happens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Garden palmatums

Post by Jake fowler »

Looking forward to seeing these progress mate 👍
Jake

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”