ID seed/seedling

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

ID seed/seedling

Post by PWC »

So I decided I would collect some seed and have a go growing them. I know I should have taken more care and labeled them and I might have if I knew what I was collecting. Whenever and where ever I saw seeds I would grab them for later use, I reckon I have some Chinese Elm, Maple of some kind,Hawthorne,Ash, Callitris, Banksia and Pinus radiata.

I have had reasonable success so far but would appreciate some help identifying the ones pictured.

[/attachment]
IMG_1247.PNG [attachment=0]IMG_1249.PNG
Seedlings
IMG_1248.PNG
IMG_1245.PNG
The seeds below are green as collected( just the round ones not the winged) and black after planted for 2 months. So far three have germinated out of 20 seeds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: ID seed/seedling

Post by TimS »

Top one looks like a maple, perhaps Acer negundo? hard to be certain but they seed like crazy
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Hi PWC,
The seedlings look like Koelreuteria paniculata (golden rain tree) to me. If they came from those black seeds, then I would be more confident. When you collected them green, were they in a papery sort of seed pod?

Other than that, all I can see are maple seed (the winged ones). Chinese elm seed is flattish and papery. Ash seed is also very distinctive as is Callitris. If you have photos, post them and someone will be able to help you
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

terryb wrote: August 18th, 2019, 12:05 pm The seedlings look like Koelreuteria paniculata (golden rain tree) to me. If they came from those black seeds, then I would be more confident.
TimS wrote: August 18th, 2019, 12:00 pm Top one looks like a maple, perhaps Acer negundo? hard to be certain but they seed like crazy
TerryB,
Thanks mate I think you got it, they are both from the black seed.

TimS
Thanks for your feed back they both are from the same batch of seed. I know at that age they can be difficult to identify and you can get genetic variation from seedling to seedling.
Peter.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”