Tims 2019 propagation hit list

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Tims 2019 propagation hit list

Post by TimS »

Over the last few months I have been on a mission to reduce the amount of plants i have no use for, and over the last few months i have:
- Chucked the maple seedlings that got powdery mildew
- Thrown away about 100 fuchsias i grew 'just because'
- Sold off some of the weeping maples
- Given away half a dozen ex-nursery maples that were piling up around the house.
- Planted or thrown out all 300+ dianthus superbus 'fringed pink' i had laying around the house.
- Sold off or traded my pines for other species i do want to grow

I have rationalized my plants down to an amount nearer 'slightly too many' rather than 'unquestionably foolish in number'. My fingers were getting itchy for some more propagation, and it wasn't just the thorns of the Pyracantha causing it. This time there had to be some actual plan to it, rather than just grow things to be thrown in the bin later. I determined that i should only propagate that which i either want more of for my own use, or is in some way potentially desirable in the bonsai community. I came down to the following list:

- Prunus Mume / Flowering Apricot
- Chojubai / Dwarf Flowering Quince
- Pyracantha aungustifolia/ Firethorn with orange berries (a late inclusion)
- Japanese Maple 'Shishigashira' airlayers for a forest (also a late inclusion)
- Japanese Maple 'Arakawa' airlayer

Starting with Prunus Mume:
While visiting the Botanic Gardens i saw 'Alboplena' in flower, and determined to track a plant down. Low and behold, a nursery near me got a handful or 1.5m tall ones in for a rediculously cheap price and i snapped one up. Later they would get in Double Pink as well for a similarly cheap cost and i jumped at that too! I had done some reading on propagation of Prunus Mume, and the agreed method advocated taking semi-hardwood cuttings in Autumn, sticking them and keeping them in a humid environment until Spring when they should leaf out. Totally ignoring this advice, i cut back my 'Alboplena' after flowering and stuck all the cuttings into a pot of old bonsai soil, did not cover them, and whacked them on one of my benches that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Despite full exposure to cold nights, they are already leafing out and (i have checked gently) are beginning to root. I also took P. Mume Double Pink cuttings but they are a little further behind. Always worth trying something even if it seems like it won't work.
prunus mume alboplena.jpg

Pyracantha aungustifolia/ Firethorn:
Only recently i purchased a young Pyracantha, after having been keen to try one as bonsai for some time. It was wildly overgrown, and being unable to cut a plant back without propagating the cuttings, i did a few dozen cuttings rather than waste the off-cuts. I don't know if there is much of an interest in young Pyracantha cuttings, but to this stage they don't require much of an outlay of cost or space. Literally only just taken so i have no updates on these yet and how they good as hardwood/ semi-hardwood cuttings. I have stuck them into sphagnum moss in a mini green house, the kind you pick up for $20 at Bunnings, so it's another of my deeply technical methods.
pyracantha.jpg

Chojubai/ Dwarf Flowering Quince.
Recently, in a roundabout way, traded one of my pine trees for a a chojubai clump. Having never grown them before i got stuck into my research. It seemed appropriate time to cut the new growth back for the first time, so i stuck all the cuttings just in case. So far it looks like the majority will not root, but one or two look like they may end up working. Ordinarily rhizomes would be used, and cuttings do sometimes take. Will update if they work out. I have also tried ground layering some of the longer branches too, to see it they will naturally root :fc:
chojubai.jpg

JM 'Shishigashira' air layers:
My favourite Japanese Maple variety; I have been fighting a battle with myself not to air-layer everything off my large garden tree shishi, but i will try to take a handful this year and make a start on a forest perhaps. Over the coming years i can keep taking more and keep adding to it if needs be. Last year i found that the single trunk layers work well, and multi-trunk ones not so much, so i'll stick to the single trunk ones. I have not started them yet as the foliage seems a little tender still.
shishigashira.jpg

JM 'Arakawa' air layer
My layer from last year ended up failing. I think the sphagnum was too wet and the roots didn't like it very much. I'll try again, and use a good thick trunk this time. The plant is still young enough not to have the rough bark to damage, so i have time to do it now without it looking totally ridiculous. Not yet started as i want the leaves to harden off further before i go ahead.
Arakawa.jpg

I had planned to also do cuttings of straight species Japanese Maple to add to my forest, but there are definitely different genetics in there already, and I've got at least 7 straight species of different trunk thicknesses kicking around i can just add in come re-potting time next year instead of needed to keep one specific genetic in there.

Anyway, that's the plan for this year and i'll be excited to fill the garden with more plants once again.......... :whistle:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Re: Tims 2019 propagation hit list

Post by SquatJar »

Wishing you luck. I'd be keen to buy Chojubai, Arakawa, Shishi and Mume cuttings if they strike
Life's too short for boring pots
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Chojubai/ Dwarf Flowering Quince.
Recently, in a roundabout way, traded one of my pine trees for a a chojubai clump. Having never grown them before i got stuck into my research. It seemed appropriate time to cut the new growth back for the first time, so i stuck all the cuttings just in case. So far it looks like the majority will not root, but one or two look like they may end up working. Ordinarily rhizomes would be used, and cuttings do sometimes take. Will update if they work out. I have also tried ground layering some of the longer branches too, to see it they will naturally root :fc:

chojubai.jpg (110.71 KiB) Viewed 52 times

Hi Tims . Try early summer cuttings 3 parts sand 1 peat mix ,put them in a clear storage box in an no direct sunlight position . Keep moist not wet .
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

"I have rationalized my plants down to an amount nearer 'slightly too many' rather than 'unquestionably foolish in number'. My fingers were getting itchy for some more propagation, and it wasn't just the thorns of the Pyracantha causing it."
:lol:

:lost: I am not sure how "fingers itchy for more propagation" doesn't end up with you having "an unquestionably foolish number" again. ;) I think it resolves like this ... you have more plants of a species that you actually like - which is a good thing - and you support your addiction and free up more space by selling the offspring of your efforts. Yep, seems like a sustainable addiction.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Sno wrote: September 28th, 2019, 9:00 pm
Hi Tims . Try early summer cuttings 3 parts sand 1 peat mix ,put them in a clear storage box in an no direct sunlight position . Keep moist not wet .
Thanks very much for the tip, i’ll definitely give it a go
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

MJL wrote: September 29th, 2019, 8:39 am
"I have rationalized my plants down to an amount nearer 'slightly too many' rather than 'unquestionably foolish in number'. My fingers were getting itchy for some more propagation, and it wasn't just the thorns of the Pyracantha causing it."
:lol:

:lost: I am not sure how "fingers itchy for more propagation" doesn't end up with you having "an unquestionably foolish number" again. ;) I think it resolves like this ... you have more plants of a species that you actually like - which is a good thing - and you support your addiction and free up more space by selling the offspring of your efforts. Yep, seems like a sustainable addiction.
That’s it, just shari my focus from anything and everything over to a few more specific things. Also, importantly, manage to sell them this time! To be fair, the death rate of the weeping maples has made it hard to sell the with a clear conscience. If you want more to make up for those you lost Mark, let me know.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Tim,

No need to replace any weeping maples. Most have survived and are flourishing - all good. Plus I knew that I was taking on sensitive seedlings anyway. All fine. :yes:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

I find chojubai painfully slow!
Good luck, go get em!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

No luck with the chojubai, they all just dropped leaves and shriveled up sadly. I'll wait for more consistently warm weather and try some more.

The Prunus mume Alboplena on the other hand were doing beautifully, until the snails got at them last night :palm: My own fault being too slow to cover the new shoots. There are undamaged buds, so i've covered them all now and taken some more cuttings. Almost every Alboplena had either rooted or calloused really nicely so i'm really bummed at my own lack of awareness to get them covered sooner. Ah well, we'll see what happens. Virtually all the cuttings were taken as heel cuttings of young branches that were crossing on the mother stock tree. I've done some normal ones in the next batch to see if there is a difference in rooting between a normal nodal stem cuttings and a heel cutting taken directly from the trunk or primary branch. I suppose to call them heel cuttings is not quite accurate; there is a swelling at the base of the shoot where it attaches to the branch/ trunk so i removed this circular swelling with the shoot, rather than actually removing tissue that extends down the trunk with the cutting.
p mume albo roots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”