Where to look for Yamadori

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
bubba92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 1

Where to look for Yamadori

Post by bubba92 »

Hi guys, I'm just looking for some hints or tricks on where to start searching for Yamadori. I live in Ipswich Queensland, I'm just wondering what kind of possible Yamadori I'll be able to find around here and where should I start looking?

Do you guys look for certain attributes in an area to search for trees? Do you head to spots with the purpose of searching for trees to collect, or mostly do people just collect trees they happen to spot while going about their day?

There's and abundance of pine forests around SEQ, would they be a good place to have a look?

And lastly, legally, where and what am I allowed to collect..

greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Where to look for Yamadori

Post by greg27 »

There's a recreation park not too far from me that has stacks of feral olive trees (welcome to Adelaide) - I emailed the ranger there if I could collect some and he pretty much said go nuts. So invasive weed species are a good place to start. You might be able to find a list of invasive species in the pine forests near you on the council / state govt websites and then go from there if there's anything with potential.

I've grabbed a couple of things from areas that are going to be cleared for housing estates. Legally this is a bit suss but in practice who's really going to care about someone digging out a plant that's about to get dug out and thrown away?

I've also grabbed a Callistemon stump that I randomly spotted; it was on private land but had been chopped down and was growing back from the leftover trunk. Again legally a bit suss, but again nobody is going to care.

And don't forget to tell your friends and family to give you the heads up before they remove anything from their garden!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

You can only legally collect with the permission of the land owner or manager. That means working out which department manages which its of public land - local shire, roads department, forest company/manager, DAF or other state gov dept. Many bureaucrats find it far easier to deny any applications that to work through any possible issues so permits can be hard to obtain. There is a very real fear of backlash if someone causes an accident or some other damage or gets injured while on their land.
Much easier to get permission from private landowners.

Much depends on what you want to collect. Most native plants are protected and can't be taken without a permit. Some are even protected on private land. Feral, weedy species are easier as they have no environmental protections.
Our local club has made connections with our district landcare groups. We offer to help by removing invasive species from areas the landcare groups are working to clean up and revegetate.
Pine forest managers won't be happy with someone digging up their trees and are usually worried about possible injuries or damage. Pines tend to be tall and straight so not worth collecting. Some self seeded trees growing on rocky or steep banks may be worth looking at.

Your other option is to collect without permission and hope no-one finds you. Wear hi-vis workwear and look like you are supposed to be there.
Wherever you collect, make sure you don't do any damage or cause problems, fill in all holes, etc. and remove rubbish so you, and the rest of us, don't get a bad name.

I find that private gardens are a far better source of trees for bonsai and you may find your energy better directed there than to the bush. They tend to be easier to dig, have a much higher rate of survival and often have better bonsai characteristics. Suitable species include: azalea (any time of year) Callistemon, melaleuca and banksias (warmer months), privet, plums, cotoneaster, pyracantha and many more. Tell family, neighbours, friends and work colleagues that you are a crazy bonsai person and would love to help when they need trees/ plants removed when someone is cleaning up a garden or building, etc. many will just think you are mad but sooner or later you will hit the jackpot.
Could also be worth making contact with local garden maintenance people and arborists. You may need to remind them a few times as they won't understand what you are after at first.

I think most finds are just random luck - being in the right place at the right time. Driving past council workers digging out callistemons to make way for a drain. Also much easier because they will have a machine to do the digging for you :tu:

I've found that the vast majority of trees I've looked at are not worth taking home. Bonsai really need taper and some trunk movement which very few wild plants have. I usually look at many hundreds before digging 2 or 3 of the best. A few weeks later I usually wonder why I ever bothered to bring most of those home.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

I had dreams of collecting yamadori from the mountains when I first started seeing it on YouTube and other media streams afew years back. I tried getting permits and permission but it's always a drama.

My hot tip is just to advertise on Gumtree for select species and let ppl come to you. I've had success in the past.

My local club has started organizing dig days again. So looking at joining a local club is very beneficial. I find that you can get better bargains at the local club meets then you could out looking for yamadori.

Anyway good luck with it mate
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I find that private gardens are a far better source of trees for bonsai and you may find your energy better directed there than to the bush. They tend to be easier to dig, have a much higher rate of survival and often have better bonsai characteristics. Suitable species include: azalea (any time of year) Callistemon, melaleuca and banksias (warmer months), privet, plums, cotoneaster, pyracantha and many more. Tell family, neighbours, friends and work colleagues that you are a crazy bonsai person and would love to help when they need trees/ plants removed when someone is cleaning up a garden or building, etc. many will just think you are mad but sooner or later you will hit the jackpot.
Could also be worth making contact with local garden maintenance people and arborists. You may need to remind them a few times as they won't understand what you are after at first.
Agree with Neil here, in Ipswich there are plenty of old gardens, and I'd bet if you wandered around offering help to anyone gardening you'd find lots of interesting stuff. You just need to ask, generally!

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”