Is it the wrong time to air layer japanese maples?

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
alexm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Is it the wrong time to air layer japanese maples?

Post by alexm »

I have two japanese maple bonsai and would like to grow more. Is it the wrong time of year or too hot in Sydney at the moment to do air layers?

Also, one of them was sold to me as a bloodgood variety - are air layers successful on them?

Cheers,
Alex
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Is it the wrong time to air layer japanese maples?

Post by TimS »

I would say it’s probably too late now. if you did it now it will likely sit there until next Spring anyway so you may as well just wait and do it then IMO.

My layers that are successful in one season are generally the ones done in Spring, after the first leaves have hardened off. It does depend on other factors too like different cultivars and thickness of the stem too (thicker seems to work better in my experience.

I don’t know about Bloodgood, I don’t grow it, but give it a try and see what happens next Spring
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
alexm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Is it the wrong time to air layer japanese maples?

Post by alexm »

Thanks TimS for the advice. I will wait till next spring and then give them a go because I need to cut the branches off anyway to get some taper.

Much appreciated,
Alex

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”