radiata pine air layer

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

radiata pine air layer

Post by PWC »

I have this Radiata pine that was one of those ones that I shouldn't have got. It was straight with no taper and no low branches, but it was healthy. My initial thought was to reduce it by 30 cm to it's current height as it had a small bud low down I was hoping to promote as a potential new leader. Unfortunately that didn't eventuate and I was left with a shorter straight tree with no taper and no low branches.

There was a strong shoot emerging from just below the cut that became the focus of my attention. The plan was to air layer the top and have a smaller tree. I seem to have better results using the plastic pot method as opposed to the bag method, so I made the cut at around 30 degrees to gain some lower trunk movement.

I had a quick look today and was happy with the results so far, the layer has been on about 3 months and I hope to remove it after the pot fills with roots. I would appreciate any feed back on when would be the best time from anyone who has done this successfully.
IMG_2519 (Large).JPG
IMG_2520 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Re: radiata pine air layer

Post by rodm »

Well done PWC. Tried the same type of thing with a JBP a few years back. All went well even after separation,but I got too eager and started development to early :palm: and lost both :cry: I put it done to impatience and inexperience. Great idea to let it fill the pot with roots. I’d be incline to separate in early to mid autumn :imo:
Cheers RodM
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

rodm wrote: December 5th, 2020, 11:57 am Great idea to let it fill the pot with roots. I’d be incline to separate in early to mid autumn
Good to hear of you success on the layer, I have been down that overwork to early path as well with the same result as you. I will take your suggestion on board.
Thanks
Peter.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

I took the layer off late December as I moved a lot of my plants up to Brisbane in preparation for a permanent move this year. I am not sure if I should do some initial root work now or leave it in the pot for one more growing season as the roots will not have filled the pot as yet. As you can see there was plenty of roots, should I be reducing the number of roots around the circumference of the trunk as well as the heavy roots that no doubt will have developed?

IMG_2591 (Large).JPG
IMG_2592 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

That's some great roots on the layer! Well done. Can't say much about pines as I am new to them, but others i have left root work for the repot after two seasons or more. Just being safe. More knowledge people will chime in.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”