Air layering an air layer

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Oliver Syd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Air layering an air layer

Post by Oliver Syd »

Hey guys,

Got an air layer going on a lilly pilly and seeing first signs of roots, happy days!
I will likely cut it down end of summer, please tell me otherwise, and as there is a fair bit above im considering doing another air layer rather than chop. Would I be able to separate the original air layer, pot it up and immediately do another air layer?
I would still chop the top down a lot above the second air layer as there wont be the root system to support that much tree.

Thoughts much appreciated!
Thanks
Oliver

Umm, wont let me attach photos....
Ill try in a reply
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Air layering an air layer

Post by shibui »

Photos need have file size under 1Mb to load on Ausbonsai. You may need to reduce quality or otherwise reduce the file size of your photos before trying to upload them.

You should be able to do another air layer on a recently potted layer. It is believed that leaves drive root growth so having plenty of leaves seems to get layers to root faster. Layering your recently potted layer may slow down root development of both sections but should still work, especially on an easy to root species like lily pilly.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oliver Syd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Oliver Syd »

Thanks for the response.
Sounds good, I'd like to try as it will be quite a waste otherwise, and Im all about doubling my bounty!

Not sure how to reduce file size on my phone. Pics are over 8mb! Im guessing id have to download third party software or do a work around and get it to my computer and then edit it. Strangely it hasnt seemed to of been an issue before. Nevermind, you've given me the confidence anyhow!

Cheers!
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

You could also very simply air layer it now when it is attached to the mother tree and cut off two air layers, might have to delay when you do it. I had simultaneously air layers a plum and jade three plants from one in one season. All doing well since..
Oliver Syd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Oliver Syd »

Hi Akhi,

I would do, but the current layer is at the highest reaches of my ladder! I’ll have to have a go once it’s cut.
Thanks

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”