Watto's 2021 Dig Trees

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Watto's 2021 Dig Trees

Post by Watto »

What better way to start the new year than to go and dig a tree?
I would have preferred to wait about ten months or so but beggars can't be chooses and so I had a day to decide if I would or wouldn't, and I decided on digging. Its a Callistemon (probably Captain Cook) but unfortunately it was grown in a garden bed that was lined and topped with black plastic and not only did that have an adverse impact on the health of the tree but also made it very difficult to dig. A plea from a mad digger, please don't put black plastic in your gardens!
I only give this about a 25% chance of survival because of the damage to the roots caused by the black plastic and extraction from the ground but I will be keeping my fingers crossed. :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Watto's 2021 Dig Trees

Post by PWC »

Good luck with it, looks healthy above the ground, hopefully the roots can recover :fc:
Peter.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”