Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Post by Promethius »

Some new friends to get me through lockdown came last week. An interesting trident, a redwood (and a birch hitchhiker), a JBP and a shimpaku. Also a number of smaller trident seedlings that have gone into group plantings.

These came via mail from Shibui. They made it through the trip unscathed. Perfect timing for repotting to give them some more room. All are budding nicely. Small stock, but that's how I like 'em.

I've had some small bonsai for years (the poor things) but have spent winter reading books and blogs and am going to be more ambitious this year. I actually lost sleep out due to excitement at their impending arrival.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Promethius wrote: August 25th, 2021, 7:30 pm Some new friends to get me through lockdown came last week. An interesting trident, a redwood (and a birch hitchhiker), a JBP and a shimpaku. Also a number of smaller trident seedlings that have gone into group plantings.

These came via mail from Shibui. They made it through the trip unscathed. Perfect timing for repotting to give them some more room. All are budding nicely. Small stock, but that's how I like 'em.

I've had some small bonsai for years (the poor things) but have spent winter reading books and blogs and am going to be more ambitious this year. I actually lost sleep out due to excitement at their impending arrival.
Nice!
Hope they go well for you… and welcome to the forum!
:beer:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Lock down has been extended so I'll need this now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

That's perfect, Watto. :D
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

MMmmm ... it appears I may be developing a problem.
That's OK - I'll just blame CoVid, lockdowns and the need to try and alleviate some of the boredom... :tu:
A couple from Marie Hewartson (Crescent and larger pot on the right), a Walsall Studio in front and a Tony Remington (in the Marie Hewartson). All from Elaine at Bonsai Island, truly a pleasure to deal with if you're after some new pots.
AL_RP AB_02.jpg
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 2:37 pm
A couple from Marie Hewartson (Crescent and larger pot on the right), a Walsall Studio in front and a Tony Remington (in the Marie Hewartson).
Very nice selection. I really like the Walsall - is that for any tree in particular?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

greg27 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 3:43 pm Very nice selection. I really like the Walsall - is that for any tree in particular?
That's an incredibly good question because buying with purpose/intent is very important ...

... the answer is no. :palm:
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Cos we all need 20kg of chicken poo in our life.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Not necessarily an impulse as i'd been looking at this pot on and off for a week or so now but decided to take the plunge.

love the tea-brown colour glaze with the blue highlights in it. As per my usual modus operandi i have no tree for this pot at the moment :palm:
20210819_150656.jpg
20210819_150644.jpg
20210819_150623.jpg
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

TimS wrote: September 16th, 2021, 7:24 pm Not necessarily an impulse as i'd been looking at this pot on and off for a week or so now but decided to take the plunge.

love the tea-brown colour glaze with the blue highlights in it. As per my usual modus operandi i have no tree for this pot at the moment :palm:

20210819_150656.jpg

20210819_150644.jpg

20210819_150623.jpg
Murrumbung? Has the hallmarks of Sue McFarland but I’m happy to stand corrected if I have that completely wrong.
Great pot whoever it is from!
:beer:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

100% correct Ryan, this will be my first SM pot, my other 3 or 4 murrumbung pots are all TF, so I’m very keen to get my hands on this one and check it out.

No idea even what species I’ll put in it, let alone which tree of my current options.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

TimS wrote: September 16th, 2021, 7:24 pm Not necessarily an impulse as i'd been looking at this pot on and off for a week or so now but decided to take the plunge.

20210819_150656.jpg

20210819_150644.jpg

20210819_150623.jpg
In the words of bonsai Confucius - “what came first the bonsai or the pot?”
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Had a bit of time today before the grand final which i won't really watch because im sure Geelong will romp it home and pull Sydney's pants down which is pretty boring to watch, so went to a nursery in hunt of another shishigashira maple for air layering & future bonsai use.

Found a good shishi which isn't always easy given their growth habit, but also found tucked away this Goshiki Kotohime with some good size to it. Since watching Corin Tomlinson from Greenwood Bonsai Sudio working on these (his are Kotohime so not sure if it's the same as Goshiki Kotohime) i've been interested in giving them a try, but never see one at all for sale, let alone with some size about it. So what the hell it went in the car too. Has a similar growth habit to shishigashira from what i understand (ie small dense leaves and strongly upright growth.

Lots of potential air layer material there
goshikotoa.jpg

Bit of a sense of size next to my hand indicating somewhere good for an air layer just below the fork for a twin trunk. The trunk on the lower left side behind my hand has big section of die back and half rotted trunk from a historical trunk chop, might for shits and giggles layer it as well, given maples with damaged trunks are taboo i kind of like the idea of going against the grain of accepted styles.
Goshikotob.jpg
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

TimS wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:56 pm Had a bit of time today before the grand final which i won't really watch because im sure Geelong will romp it home and pull Sydney's pants down which is pretty boring to watch, so went to a nursery in hunt of another shishigashira maple for air layering & future bonsai use.
Nice pickup. I've noticed a bunch of shishigashira at my local nursery but the grafts are bloody shocking. I don't understand why they graft them so rough. Do they do well if you airlayer and grow them on their own roots?
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Keels wrote: September 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm
TimS wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:56 pm Had a bit of time today before the grand final which i won't really watch because im sure Geelong will romp it home and pull Sydney's pants down which is pretty boring to watch, so went to a nursery in hunt of another shishigashira maple for air layering & future bonsai use.
Nice pickup. I've noticed a bunch of shishigashira at my local nursery but the grafts are bloody shocking. I don't understand why they graft them so rough. Do they do well if you airlayer and grow them on their own roots?
Pretty much all grafts on everything is rough as old badgers from what i see. I've been wanting to get into Japanese White Pines for a long time but my god the grafts are abysmal, to the point there is no point even giving it a go. I guess the only consideration is the financial one ie: get as many grafted as possible and who cares how well it's done.

Shishi air layer easily, I've done a fair few before, but they have variously been sold off, so wanting to do one for myself now. They grow very well on their own roots from my experience with them. The difficulty with them is the strongly upright growth habit not really suiting traditional bonsai as easily as other cultivars, not to mention they are slow AF to develop/ thicken/ ramifiy. But if it was easy it would be boring in my opinion!

AFL update: So far proving me right, not sure why Sydney are even on the field at the moment given how nowhere they are.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”