Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Re: Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Post by BirchMan »

At the Bonsai Workshop monthly last month we had tens of jades raffled off from an old past member who had passed on. I didn't anticipate being drawn into bidding but many of them were really cool - I picked up two so let's call them impulse buys.
IMG_2453.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Abarnes93
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Jbp
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Abarnes93 »

TimS wrote: May 11th, 2023, 8:31 am
Abarnes93 wrote: May 9th, 2023, 7:01 pm My latest purchase was this shimpaku from Neil from shibui bonsai. Great branch structure and trunk. Hopefully I can trim and wire it to do it justice
Did you pick it up at the Northwest show? I grabbed a few prunus there with the same SB code and assumed it was Neil's including a nice purple leaf plum with a good little twin trunk

When you've given it a trim and wire post up the results, looks like a good start for a great mini tree in future

I’m definately keen to get into this one. Have been looking at it for a while trying to figure out what I want to do. I have given it a tidy up and will hopefully do a wire in the next couple of days. I’ll post what it looks like after. I don’t have too many skills tho I hope I can do the tree justice.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Did you pick it up at the Northwest show? I grabbed a few prunus there with the same SB code and assumed it was Neil's including a nice purple leaf plum with a good little twin trunk
Great to hear that some more Shibui Bonsai trees have gone to good homes.

You don't have to wait for the BNW show to get good Shibui Bonsai trees. Just order direct. That's how Aiden got the best shimpaku.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

shibui wrote: May 15th, 2023, 8:29 pm
Great to hear that some more Shibui Bonsai trees have gone to good homes.

You don't have to wait for the BNW show to get good Shibui Bonsai trees. Just order direct. That's how Aiden got the best shimpaku.
I'll drop you a PM a little closer to the time to get your address and opening hours, but i've taken a week off at the end of August, and i plan to make a trip up to Moon Gate and also up to you Neil to pick out some more mature/ advanced material in person and get out of Melbourne for a while.

Super happy with the little plum for you though, glad i got there at opening time to fight through the crowd for it. Plants were flying off the tables left right and centre. Also grabbed a small flowering cherry that would have come from you too, do you know what cherry specifically it is Neil, or a seedling from which it came? just curious. The guy ahead of me got a weeping one, this was just labelled as flowering cherry.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

All the Shibui Bonsai cherries were seedlings. They volunteer under the weeping 'Snowfall' cherries and I just dig them, pot up and offer for sale when they have recovered from transplant.
Some are fully weeping, some intermediate and others grow upright. I guess that's pretty standard for seed grown trees.
Flowers are small, single, white with pink blush. The seedlings that have flowered so far have had similar flowers.

Shibui Bonsai is only open by appointment to suit all our other activities and commitments so try to give me plenty of notice before deciding to drive all the way up here.
I try to have all the grow beds dug by end of August so you'll be able to check out new stock bare root before they are potted up.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

shibui wrote: May 16th, 2023, 4:04 pm All the Shibui Bonsai cherries were seedlings. They volunteer under the weeping 'Snowfall' cherries and I just dig them, pot up and offer for sale when they have recovered from transplant.
Some are fully weeping, some intermediate and others grow upright. I guess that's pretty standard for seed grown trees.
Flowers are small, single, white with pink blush. The seedlings that have flowered so far have had similar flowers.

Shibui Bonsai is only open by appointment to suit all our other activities and commitments so try to give me plenty of notice before deciding to drive all the way up here.
I try to have all the grow beds dug by end of August so you'll be able to check out new stock bare root before they are potted up.
Thanks for the info on the cherry, i wasn't sure what it was a seedling from with such small buds on it so it's good to know what i'm dealing with. Definitely an upright habit on this one

I'll definitely let you know well in advance once my leave is approved, but certainly it will be during the last week of august into September so i can also work around what is convenient for you during that week.
Tom88F
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples are up there
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: None at this time

Post by Tom88F »

This was my latest impulse buy. Ryuga tool set complete with its on box.
Picked it up from Bonsai Environment.

Cheers,
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Made my way out to the YVBS show today and met up with David (SuperBonsaiSaiyan), good day out and great to catch up again

Picked up some of Mike (treeman's) small stuff then set to looking for a pot for the Sharp's Pgymy which is at the point it deserves a nice pot. Picked up a matte white Walsall studios pot (thanks Elaine from Bonsai Island) for it which i'm chuffed with, then this big Walsall pot took my fancy for the 62 year old maple thats in a rebuild phase for when it has had maybe 3-5 years more development. Not a usual choice to go with a pink/peach blush colour pot, but something about it appealed and it ended up coming home with me.

This is the white pot for the sharps pygmy
small pot.jpg
The larger pot for the old maple
large pot.jpg

Here's a teaser of what the tree will look like in it down the track. should be a good/ unusual winter display pot
WS.jpg
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Bought three plants from the YVBS event. It was great to catch up with TimS and chat bonsai - + there were a few people at the event exhibiting trees who were all too happy to chat as well and tell me more about their trees.

I ended up buying a Sekka Hinoki (I've been yearning for one ever since I saw Bjorn's video), a White Pine on it's own roots, and a styled Shimpaku. Was also thinking about getting a Shimpaku Blue (smaller foliage than typical Kishu), but wasn't impulsive enough and it got snapped up.

Not wanting to hurt the little Sekka, I searched the internet for info and found this gem of a channel: https://www.youtube.com/@chasaokoidesbonsaich3571

The Shimpaku was very heavy, so I assume it was a much bigger tree before the styling. Can't wait to repot it come August.

I was also enamoured with the Walsall pots, but I don't have anything ready to go into them yet so I didn't impulsively buy any of those either, but I'll be checking them out at each time Elaine brings them out from now on.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:29 am I ended up buying a Sekka Hinoki
Nice score. I've been looking for a couple to start developing myself.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Keels wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 12:10 pm
SuperBonSaiyan wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:29 am I ended up buying a Sekka Hinoki
Nice score. I've been looking for a couple to start developing myself.
Worth dropping Mike a PM to see if he can send you some? He's where that one and the one I have came from
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:29 am Bought three plants from the YVBS event. It was great to catch up with TimS and chat bonsai - + there were a few people at the event exhibiting trees who were all too happy to chat as well and tell me more about their trees.

I ended up buying a Sekka Hinoki (I've been yearning for one ever since I saw Bjorn's video), a White Pine on it's own roots, and a styled Shimpaku. Was also thinking about getting a Shimpaku Blue (smaller foliage than typical Kishu), but wasn't impulsive enough and it got snapped up.

Not wanting to hurt the little Sekka, I searched the internet for info and found this gem of a channel: https://www.youtube.com/@chasaokoidesbonsaich3571

The Shimpaku was very heavy, so I assume it was a much bigger tree before the styling. Can't wait to repot it come August.

I was also enamoured with the Walsall pots, but I don't have anything ready to go into them yet so I didn't impulsively buy any of those either, but I'll be checking them out at each time Elaine brings them out from now on.
Started watching the Sekka videos - what’s potato silica?
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I understand it to be a rooting hormone that they can get in Japan. I did a google search and found it on Amazon.jp in 500g bags.

I think our local rooting hormone would do the same job, but probably much stronger (and more expensive).
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Picked up a little juniper yesterday. I don't have many of these (just 2 other that are shimpaku) but I'm going to be sure to make this one into something a bit special hopefully... you don't see ones like this every day!!
:yes:
JUN_IT 0523.jpg
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Itoigowa?

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”