Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Post by Daluke »

Seahawk 24 piece Cloner - 12000 BTUs
F6390842-CF84-474B-BACC-7AD91D718591.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

One of several tokoname pots i've imprudently been buying of late

a Tachibana pot, roughtly 30cm x 25cm so a good general size. What attracted me was it's not a usual kind of glaze (greens and blues being quite common though i did buy one of them too) and it seemed like a good winter display pot for a maple or other deciduous.
tachibana.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

My love for Koyo/Kouyou (depending on spelling preferances) pots was reignited a few weeks back and had to pick it up. Less of an impulse buy, and more of a think about it for a few weeks before taking the plunge buy, but very happy none the less. Love the dark grey clay used on this one similar to the big tray my trident forest comp trees are in, all the others i have owned have used a very light colour clay, so nice point of difference.

As per usual modus operandi i 100% do not have a tree for this pot, so it goes in the garage with the other pots to collect dust until i stumble over/ grow a tree for it. More of a pot for a show than a pot for growing in anyway.

Again they appear sideways in the forum, but once you click on them they are the correct way up :lost:
IMG_8119.jpg
IMG_8120.jpg
IMG_8121.jpg
IMG_8122.jpg
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Nice score Tim, love the second one. Need to get yourself a maple for the first one ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

KIRKY wrote: December 18th, 2022, 9:25 am Nice score Tim, love the second one. Need to get yourself a maple for the first one ;)
Cheers
Kirky
You know what, i think i might now have a tree in mind for that 'winter pot' for the future :shifty: :shifty: :tu:
Joshua
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club Montpellier

Post by Joshua »

Just ordered some chinese elm Ulmus Parvifolia seeds. Hopefully they remain viable for a while not sure I can plant them yet.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Chinese Elms are very hardy and don’t need much encouragement to sprout. Your current temps are a bit low, but you could get a head start and plant some inside on a windowsill. Just a thought.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Again not an impulse buy but one i have had my eye on for weeks.....actually one i could not stop thinking about due to the glaze colour. Deep square Koyo/ Kouyou depending on preferred spelling in this deep forest green with lighter green areas. I think it would set off a JM with the old grey bark in winter an absolute treat.

I have no tree for this (surprise surprise) and was actually looking for a pot for a maple i do have, the sharps pygmy ex MJL to whom i am still grateful for selling me that beauty. Nothing was leaping out at me in the smaller sizes that would be suitable for the Sharps, but i stumbled over this and couldn't take my eyes off it. I have been back over and over arguing that i don't have a tree for it, and what the hell would i ever use it for?

In my head i have always wanted to grow a semi cascading maple a-la Bill Valavanis' Kiyohime. To me the colour of the pot looks very 'grounding' and 'solid' for lack of a better way to describe it, and the quietness of the colour also lends itself to supporting a semi cascasde at least in my mind. Once it arrives undamaged i guess i'll have to get around to finding a suitable starting tree for that job to one day go in this pot. The size is quite large and the photo is decieving. It's something like 250mm x 240mm x 105mm

koyo square.jpg
koyo square 2.jpg
Last edited by TimS on February 26th, 2023, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Now this one actually was an impulse buy.

Off on a jaunt to my usual JM cultivar haunt nursery i was thumbing my way through the usual suspects when this caught my eye. It's labelled as Osakazuki, and i have my doubts for several reasions.

1: i have never seen Osakazuki have yellow immature bark, and all the other Osakazuki there had the usual dark green/ purple colour immature bark.

2: While the leaf shape is right for Osakazuki, the leaf size by and large was very small where Osakazuki tends to be quite large. There were a few larger leaves maybe 3/4s the size of what i think of with 'usual' osakazuki, but the vast majority were small. I thought maybe the tree had been at the nursery so long that it was root bound and thats why the leaves were much smaller but i knocked it out of the pot and it's not even close to being root bound.

3. Its the vibe of the thing, it's mabo, its just the vibe of the thing

So yes, pulled the trigger and it gets added to the crop of Spring air layer material
Osakawhut.jpg
Osakawhut2.jpg
Osakawut3.jpg
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by gnichols »

TimS wrote:Again not an impulse buy but one i have had my eye on for weeks.....actually one i could not stop thinking about due to the glaze colour. Deep square Koyo/ Kouyou depending on preferred spelling in this deep forest green with lighter green areas. I think it would set off a JM with the old grey bark in winter an absolute treat.

I have no tree for this (surprise surprise) and was actually looking for a pot for a maple i do have, the sharps pygmy ex MJL to whom i am still grateful for selling me that beauty. Nothing was leaping out at me in the smaller sizes that would be suitable for the Sharps, but i stumbled over this and couldn't take my eyes off it. I have been back over and over arguing that i don't have a tree for it, and what the hell would i ever use it for?

In my head i have always wanted to grow a semi cascading maple a-la Bill Valavanis' Kiyohime. To me the colour of the pot looks very 'grounding' and 'solid' for lack of a better way to describe it, and the quietness of the colour also lends itself to supporting a semi cascasde at least in my mind. Once it arrives undamaged i guess i'll have to get around to finding a suitable starting tree for that job to one day go in this pot. The size is quite large and the photo is decieving. It's something like 250mm x 240mm x 105mm

koyo square.jpg
koyo square 2.jpg
Wow, that's a gorgeous pot. Do you source them directly from Japan?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Thanks G-Nic, I just received it and it’s a cracker of a pot for sure. Might be the last show pot I buy for a while as I have too many show pots without good enough trees to go in them, and too many trees not good enough for show pots so i will have to correct that imbalance.

I source from Japan yes, nothing complex though, I 99% of the time go through the eBay seller tokonamejp who is excellent. Always packed impeccably and very fast shipping. He only does new pots not antiques, but my budget doesn’t run to antiques anyway. I just keep an eye in his inventory and if there’s an interesting or unusual glaze i tend to go for those.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Bought these from the bargain corner - thought it could be something I play around with and be a little experimental in my design.

The bushier one is a Juniperus Sargentii. The flatter one is a variety of Juniperus Sabina.

The Sargentii appears to keep juvenile foliage a lot more than Shimpaku. I am starting to understand why Shimpaku is so favoured for bonsai now.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: March 6th, 2023, 8:43 am Bought these from the bargain corner - thought it could be something I play around with and be a little experimental in my design.

The bushier one is a Juniperus Sargentii. The flatter one is a variety of Juniperus Sabina.

The Sargentii appears to keep juvenile foliage a lot more than Shimpaku. I am starting to understand why Shimpaku is so favoured for bonsai now.
Nice score.

I've been on the lookout for more "straight" junipers after stumbling across a lovely creation on youtube last week.

What has that meant, I've finally bought some jin pliers
Jin Pliers.jpg
Not necessarily for creating jin (although I've finally starting to work on a Juniper that I am growing), but to help create something...

Not quite in the impulse purchase yet... but looking at buying this swampy...
swampy.jpg
, in order to go the look I'm after.
--
No idea what I am doing…
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

Bobbie, on my trip out to Ray Nesci's over the weekend I spotted a new section of reasonable sized swampies. I didn't catch a price, but might be cheaper than getting something that's been developed :2c: just a suggestion (maybe give them a call if you have to travel out to their area).

So, I finally jumped on the pine band wagon. Because it's the first one I've owned I'm not quite sure where to step next.
pine.jpg
This is a seed grown Yatsabusa. So, no graft. I'm quite happy with the price because I haven't spotted anything JBP related under $60.

I'm definitely interested in looking at propagating either through layering or from candles. I had plenty of success with everything else this growing season. But if anyone has any updated advice... although there are quite a few threads worth of content I'm looking forward to reading through :tu:

In the past I would have jumped in and started working on a base design and branch selection. But rather than waste what I'm cutting off I'm trying to consider, along with timing, how I can do pruning/air-layering and propagating in some sort of coordinated way.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

TimIAm wrote: March 7th, 2023, 7:53 pm Bobbie, on my trip out to Ray Nesci's over the weekend I spotted a new section of reasonable sized swampies. I didn't catch a price, but might be cheaper than getting something that's been developed :2c: just a suggestion (maybe give them a call if you have to travel out to their area).

So, I finally jumped on the pine band wagon. Because it's the first one I've owned I'm not quite sure where to step next.

pine.jpg

This is a seed grown Yatsabusa. So, no graft. I'm quite happy with the price because I haven't spotted anything JBP related under $60.

I'm definitely interested in looking at propagating either through layering or from candles. I had plenty of success with everything else this growing season. But if anyone has any updated advice... although there are quite a few threads worth of content I'm looking forward to reading through :tu:

In the past I would have jumped in and started working on a base design and branch selection. But rather than waste what I'm cutting off I'm trying to consider, along with timing, how I can do pruning/air-layering and propagating in some sort of coordinated way.
Thanks

I might make a trip in a few weeks.

I was actually on a hunt for a developed-ish ficus when I came across the swampy. I have managed to hold myself back so far. It isn’t something I have ever considered, before but it would have fitted the style I was after developing (for another tree, not the ficus).

The hunt for the ficus has been interesting. Hard to find anything online or what there is is ridiculously priced for what it is and the bonsai nurseries are all away from where I am, which is conveniently equidistant from them all, which means close to none!!! 😂. And as I started this hobby in lockdown I have no idea which places to try.

As to the pines. Good luck!
--
No idea what I am doing…

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”