Dwarf Jade Yamadori Tips?

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
KevDog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Dwarf Jade Yamadori Tips?

Post by KevDog »

Hey Guys,

I got these two dwarf jades that i am going to collect soon. Any suggestions or tips in keeping them alive once dug up? Will i need to water them hard once potted or just trim back most of the unusable branches and water sparsely like jade plants usually need?

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Best,
KevDog
9397058F-A1CA-49A9-A162-CCEE251C1D43.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Re: Dwarf Jade Yamadori Tips?

Post by Stu »

I would think dig as much root as you can, use very open soil mix, water in well and then water sparingly afterwards. Keep in the sun. They would probably survive without any roots, just like large cuttings, but no sense taking more risk than necessary. :2c:
Stu
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Hi Kev

Are you sure that is a dwarf jade? Portulacaria afra? Looks more like a Crassula ovata too me. Stu mentions some good tips to get it to survive the digging process but they are pretty tough plants. I've never seen Crassula ovata used as Bonsai only Portulacaria afra type. Not to say you can't use them just that i haven't seen them used. The Portulacaria afra make really cool little bonsai and really easy to create too. Good luck :tu:
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Kev,

Keels is right, that’s not what we usually call a dwarf or small leaved jade.

Dig it up when it’s hot and into an open mix, give it one big drink then hold off until you see new growth.

If you cut off any large branches, pot them up too and you’ll soon have a backyard full of them.

I don’t think Crassula ovata are anywhere near as good as Portulacaria afra for bonsai but they’re still worth a try.

Matt.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”