Advice for Collecting Hawthorn

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Ballarat

Advice for Collecting Hawthorn

Post by HeyLuke »

Hi,

This is my first time posting after lurking for a while. I have learned much from this site already, for which I am very grateful.

I have my eye on a couple of Hawthorns on my property and I would like to dig them up. One is smallish and I have already cut down a couple of large branches. The other is bigger with a great twist at the boottom of the trunk. I only cleared the scrub around that one a couple of days ago.

I've been watching lots of videos from folks such as Harry Harrington annd Tony Tickle in the UK. They collect at the end of winter and I have been taking note of techniques such as the bagging to help humidity.

Could those of you who successfully collect Hawthorn please share some advice about digging these up and caring for them?

I'm located near Ballarat, so the climate is on the cooler side. There are larger tree in the area, but as I'm new to collecting, I'd prefer to start smaller and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Luke.

Tree 1 in autumn before branch cutting:
2022-05-10 15.45.01 - Copy.jpg

Tree 1 as it is now:
2022-06-24 16.42.12 - Copy.jpg

Tree 2:
2022-06-24 12.47.58 - Copy.jpg
2022-06-24 12.48.22 - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HeyLuke on June 26th, 2022, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Advice for Collecting Hawthorn

Post by treeman »

They should move ok but try to get some fine roots as these are what keep the tree going until it gets established.
Also, if you can heal them in in sand or sawdust (after washing off all the soil) before planting in a pot (or better back in the ground) they will send out plenty of roots very quickly.
Mike
HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HeyLuke »

treeman wrote:Also, if you can heal them in in sand or sawdust (after washing off all the soil) before planting in a pot (or better back in the ground) they will send out plenty of roots very quickly.
For how long? Until they start sprouting new growth? So, straight into damp sawdust after washing the roots?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HeyLuke »

I also wanted to ask if the plastic bag method is recommended for increased humidity?
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

HeyLuke wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:58 pm I also wanted to ask if the plastic bag method is recommended for increased humidity?
I have good success with hawthorn (down here in Adelaide) when digging in April/May and leaving them in a mini 4-tiered greenhouse (I think the one I have is $29 from the big green shed) until spring.

Some people advocate for a black plastic bag to block out light. I tested this last year (with a sample size of 1) - two hawthorns collected at the same time, with roughly the same amount of roots - one was put in the greehouse which has a clear plastic cover, the other was covered with black plastic. Each had similar growth by the time spring rolled around.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Double post
Last edited by greg27 on July 1st, 2022, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Triple post?!
HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HeyLuke »

greg27 wrote:
HeyLuke wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:58 pm I also wanted to ask if the plastic bag method is recommended for increased humidity?
I have good success with hawthorn (down here in Adelaide) when digging in April/May and leaving them in a mini 4-tiered greenhouse (I think the one I have is $29 from the big green shed) until spring.

Some people advocate for a black plastic bag to block out light. I tested this last year (with a sample size of 1) - two hawthorns collected at the same time, with roughly the same amount of roots - one was put in the greehouse which has a clear plastic cover, the other was covered with black plastic. Each had similar growth by the time spring rolled around.
Thanks. What soil mix are you using for newly dug trees? Any other aftercare tips?

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hawthorns transplant really easy. There's no need to be worrying about special care, bags or other techniques. Just dig the trees, chop roots, shake off as much soil as possible then plant in a container with whatever potting mix you use in your other pots.
Water when required.
Avoid strong afternoon sun.
Leave them alone for a year or more until growth is strong again.
No problem.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HeyLuke »

shibui wrote:Hawthorns transplant really easy. There's no need to be worrying about special care, bags or other techniques. Just dig the trees, chop roots, shake off as much soil as possible then plant in a container with whatever potting mix you use in your other pots.
Water when required.
Avoid strong afternoon sun.
Leave them alone for a year or more until growth is strong again.
No problem.
Great, thanks.

greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

HeyLuke wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:29 am What soil mix are you using for newly dug trees? Any other aftercare tips?
Just premium potting mix, nothing special - whatever's cheapest with the red standards ticks. Nothing special for aftercare either, just put them in the little greenhouse and water as needed (whenever the soil doesn't feel damp).

I have found I have a better success rate with the greenhouse than without, but that's not through any formal statistical analysis!

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”