Digging Kunzea

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 23

Digging Kunzea

Post by Max Jenkem »

Hi all,
I've had a couple of Kunzea ambigua growing in my native garden for a few years and am redesigning a section this year. They have some potential for bonsai and was wondering what success people have had collecting them from being ground grown?
My soil is quite clay based but we've had a shitload of rain this year and a milder Winter so wondering if it'd be worth trying to collect them now rather than mid-Summer?

Cheers
Sydney
NSW
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Digging Kunzea

Post by dansai »

Pretty sure Hugh Grant collects Kunzea in September from quite poor soils and has very high success rate.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
TimJ7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by TimJ7 »

I have had success with Kunzea in August and September, I kept them out of frost and wind and did not lose any.
Well worth a try.
Good luck
TimJ
Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 23

Post by Max Jenkem »

Forgot Hugh was on here, I remember him joining around the time I did before losing access to that email address and subsequently every online account affiliated with it. Is he still around?
Sydney
NSW
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I don't think he checks in here much anymore. He is still active in the community though. You can find him at treemakers.com.au and on instagram. He uses a mix of potting mix and pumice or perlite to pot up into a fairly small pot, leaving some original soil in close to the trunk. Generally leaves them for a year then either replaces the outer edge with new bonsai mix or the centre removing original soil. Styling can them happen 6 months later, and following spring will replace the other half of the soil not done the first time.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”