Kunzea collection.

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
ACooke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Kunzea collection.

Post by ACooke »

I was hoping/wondering if anyone has any advice on Kunzea collection; semi-specifically Kunzea Ambigua but I would think that much of what's been learned collecting some of the mel's and lepto's could potentially hint at how to successfully collect Kunzea.

Just judging off of how many collected Kunzea I've seen photos of, and at shows, it seems that they may be at least reasonably collectable.

Anyway, I have a couple I'm ok to collect before they're landscaped to heaven at some stage (probably within the next year or so).

My plan - based on little other than dribs and drabs I've read/heard, mainly with other species would be:

- Collect in very early spring.
- Keep as many roots as I can and at least a decent amount of soil (obviously circumstantially dependant).
- Keep a good amount of foliage - reduce/balance it somewhat with the root ball collected.

- Keep it moist/wrapped until planted in a wooden box asap.
- Substrate????? I think I read something about Hugh Grant using 100% 1mm Diatomite? I was going to use some sort of Pumice, Perlite mix. Not yet sure.

I'm less sure (which means extra-extra unsure) about further after care.

Should I keep it mostly in the shade for a period? I'd think it'd do best with some full sun?
Should I mist the foliage daily? twice daily?
Does using a greenhouse (i could knock up a mini tent) vastly improve results. I'm not sure it'd be worth the hassle with these particular tree's unless it was a substantial improvement?

Any other dribs and drabs?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

I have successfully collected a Melaleuca quinquenervia (I believe) previously which went well, but were pretty easy circumstances.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Kunzea collection.

Post by boom64 »

Hi ACooke,
Let me first say a fantastic species for bonsai and yes relatively to collect. I have collected at all ties of the year and for me summer has been the best time .They seem to bounce back quicker.
Substrate ,I usually use a good quality native potting mix with a little grit thrown in. Small scoria even blue metal in a pinch. Once potted up i place in a semi sunny area and definitely keep the water up to them.
Good luck
Cheers John
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Please make sure the native trees you are collecting are really endangered. It is very easy to justify stealing plants because they MAY be in the way of development.
You should also seek permission from the land owner or may be liable to fines and/or jail.

Late spring and summer seem to be much better time to collect many natives where I live but others in warmer climes report that any time of year is OK.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACooke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ACooke »

Thanks Boom; I'm glad they sound relatively straight-forward; and yes I've seen some incredible examples - the trunk and branch lines they so often naturally take, along side the deadwood they seem to create and retain well leads to some very very interesting material. The foliage looks to be very workable too ----- and as a bonus they smell great haha.

Thanks Shibui. No these 2 are actually on my work-mate's residential land. It's a larger block that hasn't owned for long and hasn't yet got around to landscaping/clearing. They're not the most desirable of landscaping/garden plant/tree so he'll (and now I) will definitely be clearing them in the coming year or two.

I have no opportunity/links to any other land or potential areas where I could collect as far as I can think. One day I'll hopefully find somewhere where it's possible and desirable; but it seems like the few trees he has on his property are probably it for me, at least for the near future. Seems like a good chance to simultaneous have some fun, learn some things, and end up with some decent material I can work on for many years to come.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”