Water Gum. Found a difficult subject

PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Water Gum. Found a difficult subject

Post by PeterH »

I have had this Water Gum since 2004. Because of its lack of taper and poor roots,it has been difficult to do anything with. It needed some support around the lower part of the trunk. In the past I have tried to use a rock to support it which was not successful. I was thinking of building a look- a- like rock. Then I thought I'd try sticking a lot of rocks together.
This is the result of a few hours work. It has made it look better but there is something that is still not right.

Regards,

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PeterH on January 19th, 2014, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Water Gum. Found a difficult subject

Post by kcpoole »

Nice improvement and nice colour in the rocks :yes:

good solution to a difficult issue as the other option would be to airlayer and lost the movement and shari in the lower trunk section.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

That's a very good solution for the base, it all sits very well now. "Something still not right" might be the three low left branches balancing the one on the right - maybe the middle one can go? Hard to tell from photos of course.

Something that draws my eye is the relatively straight trunk after the shari. The first part of the trunk is complicated, the next bit is straight. Would you consider bringing some foliage over the trunk at this level just to break it up a bit?

I personally would think of leaning it over further to the right, so the straight bit is a bit more dynamic, but I'm no good at standing-up-straight trees anyway, it's probably just me.

Thanks for posting,

Gavin
Ces
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus tereticornis
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Ces »

Really nice solution peter. I really like that tree. It also really evokes the feeling of the red country for me. However, I dont know where water gum are found naturally. Anyway... I just like it.

if you wanted to change it because you're not satisfied, I would shorten the left hand branches and lengthen the one's on the right (as you look at the picture).

but I like it as is too.

thanks for posting.

cheers,
Ces.
Last edited by Ces on January 19th, 2014, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

Thanks for the feed back.

Gavin,

The straight bit is a problem and yes some foliage masking will help.

Ces,

I will be making those adjustments to the left and right side over time.

Rocks are iron stone collected out near West Wyalong.

Regards,

Peter
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

My 2c.

I think the style is a bit too triangular.
I believe that natives may look better with a more bulbous look.
While a fantastic tree I think it is merely the style that is not a convincing representation of the species.

I certainly wouldn't lose the Shari and interest in the lower section.

Thanks for paying yet another fantastic tree of yours.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

GavinG wrote:That's a very good solution for the base, it all sits very well now. "Something still not right" might be the three low left branches balancing the one on the right - maybe the middle one can go? Hard to tell from photos of course. Something that draws my eye is the relatively straight trunk after the shari. The first part of the trunk is complicated, the next bit is straight. Would you consider bringing some foliage over the trunk at this level just to break it up a bit? I personally would think of leaning it over further to the right, so the straight bit is a bit more dynamic, but I'm no good at standing-up-straight trees anyway, it's probably just me.
The straight part of the trunk catches my eye, too - it is a bit "out of character" after the lower section movement and detail - I would suggest possibly continuing the dead wood up the trunk for 1/2 to 3/4 of the straight section to visually break up the trunk line there, with a bit of movement in the live bark/ dead wood intersection lines to give the illusion of more movement to that area of the trunk.

I also agree that I would be inclined to remove or reposition the second branch up on the left side to reduce the bar branch appearance and open the tree up to give a more rugged gum tree look.

I love the contrast between the white bark and red stone - a very central Australian waterhole look. The pot is just ideal to my eye and the white bark / silver wood in the lower trunk are a real prize.

A beaut little gum, how tall is it?

Jan.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Beautiful tree Peter.

I think the shari could come up a bit too to make the straight section more in keeping.
Boics wrote:I believe that natives may look better with a more bulbous look.
Although I agree with Boics in regards to natives in general, Water Gums tend to grow near water ways and have multiple trunks from close to the base. You definitely wouldn't find them near rocks of the sort you have placed with it. Your tree is far removed from that with a more classical style. However I still think it works and is a great Bonsai.

Funny how we tend to say our natives should have a more natural look and yet the more classic bonsai subjects and the styles we adhere to with them are mostly vastly different to how they grow naturally.

Cheers Dan
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
kate
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: native
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by kate »

i have a water gum i love them as bonsai and mine sits in water all year round they love it the bark is flaking off now and an awsome pink undernaeth so purserver and give it moe water.
kate
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: native
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by kate »

you should take a look at water gums growing they love to live near water we have some growing in the main street where i live and they look great the fpowers are little yellow things but omg they smell awsome .

Return to “Tristaniopsis Laurina”