QLD small leaf fig

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Clint
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 3

QLD small leaf fig

Post by Clint »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum so this is my first time posting. I recently bought this fig from a sale and I'm pretty sure it's in desperate need of a repot. Is it ok to repot this time of year in QLD (Brisbane) and should I use a bigger pot. Thank you in advance for your advice
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0355.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: QLD small leaf fig

Post by shibui »

Your fig is lucky to have a new owner. Looks like it has been pretty well ignored for quite a while so not really healthy at the moment.

Winter is not really a good time to repot figs. You might get away with it in Brisbane but I think it could be worth waiting until warmer weather as this one does not look real strong. Wait for some better local knowledge from one of your local growers rather than accepting a southerner's word for what's right and what's not.
In the meantime I would feed well to try to get it a little stronger. You could also top up the pot with some fresh mix as a temporary measure.

When you repot you can also prune the long branches to try to get more shoots and ramification.

Pot size looks fine for the tree. When you repot you will remove 1/2 - 2/3 of the roots and give it plenty of fresh soil so there will be plenty of room in the pot for new roots.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clint
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Clint »

Thank you
Leeroy68
Favorite Species: Aussie natives
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Leeroy68 »

Gday Clint, did you end up repotting?
I am also fairly new to bonsai but I have a number of figs and also live in Brisbane. Repotted my Port Jackson about 6 months ago and it’s kicked on really well. With regards to repotting timing I did read earlier today that it’s best done when night time temps are above 12-15 C so if you haven’t repotted already you’ve only got a few weeks (maybe a little more 😊) to wait.
Good luck with it.

Edit: here is the link to the reference I made above
https://bonsai.asn.au/timely-tips/topic ... repotting/
Last edited by Leeroy68 on June 20th, 2021, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clint
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Clint »

Hi Leeroy,
I haven't yet, I decided to wait. Just added some extra soil to cover the exposed roots.
Thank you for the link and the comment.

Return to “The Menu”