How to attach quotes

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

How to attach quotes

Post by Paul W »

Can anyone point me in the right direction on a tutorial on how to attach quotes to threads on this forum,I have clicked on the quote button but it never appears in a colour background like it does for everybody else also how to you attach multiple quotes on a post.I have looked in this forum but cannot find a tutorial.
Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: How to attach quotes

Post by Bougy Fan »

Can anyone point me in the right direction on a tutorial on how to attach quotes to threads on this forum
Are you dropping the cut section in between the two quote words in brackets ?
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Not sure how much of a geek you are Paul. You have to highlight and copy what you want to quote. The click the quote tab and the words quote will come up the brackets around each word. Place your cursor in between them and click paste. See how that goes :tu:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Paul W »

Thanks Tony, I aint no geek at all, that is the problem, :lost: I will try it when I get an hour or two to spare,that why I thought there might be some instructions or a tutorial on how to do it,someone else must have asked i aint the only bloody idiot around am I. :?: :reading:
Last edited by Paul W on February 3rd, 2013, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A. A. Milne
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Paul W , mate i'm a novice with things these boat anchors can do , but i hit the quote tab and delete the words i don't want . I only cut and paste when hanging wallpaper , otherwise i would be on here all the time :palm: .

Cheers Alpine
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

How to attach quotes

Post by kcpoole »

alpineart wrote:Hi Paul W , mate i'm a novice with things these boat anchors can do , but i hit the quote tab and delete the words i don't want . I only cut and paste when hanging wallpaper , otherwise i would be on here all the time :palm: .

Cheers Alpine
when you look at a post, you can either reply or quote.
Hit quote and like Alpine, delete what you do not to include

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

kcpoole wrote: when you look at a post, you can either reply or quote.

Ken
Yep, easy peasy, just hit the "Quote" tab up there in the top right hand side of the post and add whatever it is you want to say as usual, after the [/quote] bit. If you don't do that your reply will form part of the quote.
kcpoole wrote: when you look at a post, you can either reply or quote.

Hey that is easy peasy, isn't it.

Ken

If you want to comment on different parts of a post, simply put the {/quote] at the end of the sentance you want to comment on before putting the [*quote=" "] before the start of the next sentance and carry on with the rest of the post.

kcpoole wrote: when you look at a post,
I am looking
kcpoole wrote:you can either reply or quote.
Well so I can
kcpoole wrote: Hit quote
Ken
And there, your done.
If you want to multi quote different people, or the same person from different post, simply copy and paste the additional stuff you want to mention.
Alpine wrote:Hi Paul W , mate i'm a novice with things these boat anchors can do , but i hit the quote tab and delete the words i don't want . I only cut and paste when hanging wallpaper , otherwise i would be on here all the time .
Cheers Alpine
Just like that. Just remember if you copy and paste any additional quotes to your post, you will have to put in the "quote" prompts, just like you will see them done in your original quote reply - if that makes sence. If you dont, the quote will just come up like so,

Hi Paul W , mate i'm a novice with things these boat anchors can do , but i hit the quote tab and delete the words i don't want . I only cut and paste when hanging wallpaper , otherwise i would be on here all the time .

Cheers Alpine

One of the interesting things about quoting people is you can change what they said in their quote as well and it still works. ;)
Alpine wrote:Hi Sweetie, i'm a complete nong with things these boat anchors can do, but i get the kids to do all the quote stuff and they delete the words i want , otherwise i would never get off here .

Cheers Alpine
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Graeme on February 3rd, 2013, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Paul W »

f you want to comment on different parts of a post, simply put the {/quote] at the end of the sentance you want to comment on before putting the [*quote=" "] before the start of the next sentance and carry on with the rest of the post.
Has it worked, Thanks guys I hope the above has worked.
A. A. Milne
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Paul W »

Alpine wrote:Hi Sweetie, i'm a complete nong with things these boat anchors can do, but i get the kids to do all the quote stuff and they delete the words i want , otherwise i would never get off here .

Cheers Alpine
Just testing again seem to be getting it .
A. A. Milne
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Graeme »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :yes: :worship: :hooray: :tu: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Love it when a plan comes together.
Graeme
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Graeme , altering the content of someones reply or suggesting someone do so would not be in keeping with the "Spirit of Intent" here on Ausbonsai , if you scroll down to the bottom you will notice the site is protected by a Copyright 2008 - 2013 that means you cant alter or change what has been quoted without the consent of the copyright holder .

Cheers Alpineart
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Paul W »

Love it when a plan comes together.
Thanks Guys Gee there are a lot of helpful people on this forum,I like the way you have only got to ask the most basic questions and help comes from everywhere. :clap: :hooray: :tu:
A. A. Milne
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hey Paul, if you want to do multiple quotes from different posters, when typing your message scroll to the bottom of the message page and you will find the thread repeated...use the mini scroll to find the relevant post, and use the quote button next to the post you wish to quote (as per usual procedure). Repeat this and you can do multiple quotes without cut n' paste within the same message/reply.
If you wish to comment on different aspects of a post, press quote to get the post up and type your reply directly into the quote just after the part you wish to comment on. Then highlight that with the cursor (as you would when using cut n' paste), then press the "font colour" tab at the top of your message/reply and choose the colur you wish to use in order for your comment to stand out within the post.
Repeat this pocess untill finished commenting on various portions of the post.
This stops you having to press quote tab multiple times and having to delete the portions of the post that are not relevant to your reply/comment.
Can still continue message if you have anything further to ad at the bottom of the post after the last
section.
EG:
alpineart wrote:Hi Paul W , mate i'm a novice...me too...with things these boat anchors can do , but i hit the quote tab and delete the words i don't want...me too...
I only cut and paste when hanging wallpaper... funny bugger... , otherwise i would be on here all the time :palm: .
Cheers Alpine
Hope that made sense Paul?
Many ways to do essentially the same thing :tu2:
Cheers, Dario.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Good ol' BBCode :) Can be quite confusing at first

If you want, here is a link to a 'how to' on BBCode. There is a lot of stuff you can do with it... a lot more then the buttons would lead you to beleive :P

Clicky
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Graeme »

alpineart wrote:Hi Graeme , altering the content of someones reply or suggesting someone do so would not be in keeping with the "Spirit of Intent" here on Ausbonsai , if you scroll down to the bottom you will notice the site is protected by a Copyright 2008 - 2013 that means you cant alter or change what has been quoted without the consent of the copyright holder .

Cheers Alpineart
Sorry mate, forgot the tongue in cheek Smilie for that bit didn't I. Was only included as a bit of fun actually. I think if anyone actually changed the context of a post it would be in total bad taste and should never been contemplated by anyone. If anyone was so stupid as to do something such as that, my guess is their time on the forum would be very, very limited - and so it should be.
Graeme

Return to “The Menu”