Allocasuarina Torulosa

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

rayfam5
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: callistamons
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: yarravalley bonsai society

Allocasuarina Torulosa

Post by rayfam5 »

HI folks I have this Allocasuarina Torulosa (corky bark) which I think is about 12-15 years old. has a great trunk but would love some comments and suggestions on when and how to prune it? Advice and/or opinions on it. I'm in Melbourne so its Melbourne conditions its under.
bonsai 012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayfam5 on July 25th, 2009, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Allocasuarina Torulosa

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi Rayfams,
you can finger prune the tips weekly to stimulate back budding. They make admirable Bonsai but i have found they are quite thirsty and like a feed regularly.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
rayfam5
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: callistamons
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: yarravalley bonsai society

Post by rayfam5 »

Wiring the branches is very difficult due to the delicate corky bark, but you notice one branch jutting out. I would like to prune it back but it would leave a nasty cut at the top of the branch, and suggestions please.

thanks
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi Rayfams,
yeah the one branch on the left hand side i would cut to the first secondary and then gently wire that into place. You can wire them into where you want them if you just do a little bit every day. Even if they break they still heal and set. the only problem i have had with mine is that the scars left from big branch removal dont heal well mine havent after 2 years. Maybe i need to be more patient.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I hacked into mine in a Do or Die episode since it had been sitting on the bench for several months and doing sweet FA. Within a short space of time the tree was budding everywhere and within months I had the future shape and it was filling out like crazy. I have lately potted it for the first time and since I bare root it had a tough month but while there is a lot of foliage dieback the budding is intense so in a month there will be no indication that the tree was 'attacked'.

I have not had enough experience to comment on slow healing of scars but I would cut back, feed up and then once the buds developed into branchlets start working on your style and cut more to the new buds.

You can wire on new branching and slowly on older branching. it is a lovely species. I'll post a photo of mine once the spring growth sweeps away the repotting dieback. I found the ideal pot at Bonsai South... oval with the drum studding but ochre/green colouration, matt glaze... suits the colourations of the tree ideally.

I'm being optimistic but I am hoping to send it to Canberra in November for the All Native Show. It was a 1.5 metre tree last November. I cut it back hard and it had two or three spindly branches when I started in November. This is how well it develops. Once I started shortening the existing foliage it seemed to take the bit in its teeth and get on with it.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

looking forward to seeing it melaquin. at 1.5 metres it must be an impressive tree. I think i am jealous

Return to “The Menu”