Why do you grow bonsai

What AusBonsai is all about and how the forum works.
If there is anything you want to know, you will find your answers here. If not just ask the waiter.
How to: attach a file, resize a picture, bookmark a topic, navigate the site, rename pictures.

mrbradleybradley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 37

Why do you grow bonsai

Post by mrbradleybradley »

I would be interested to hear WHY you grow them.

BB
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Why do you grow bonsai

Post by MelaQuin »

Basically because we have a short circuited wire between the ears. Otherwise because there is something very satisfying working outdoors with growing things where artistry is demanded as well as sound horticultural practices. It is one thing to 'want' a tree to grow a certain way to make a bonsai but we have to work with, for and against nature to achieve some of our goals. There is a quiet and serene excitement when a tree starts developing from an ugly duckling to the dawn of a bonsai to an actual bonsai that you can put on the bench. And then the short circuit hits when growth gets away from our wishes and we have to gently try to direct nature as we see it. It is a great big daily balancing act and absolutely wonderful for all that. If you have to ask it doesn't sound as tho you have been hooked. Try a couple of trees and see if it grabs you, floats your boat, rocks your cradle, any or all of the above. And when you are stressed, taut, tired and otherwise irritated, walk around your trees and imagine yourself reading a book on the ground under anyone of them and then ask that question as to why we grow them. Why??? Because we love them.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

MelaQuin wrote:Basically because we have a short circuited wire between the ears. Otherwise because there is something very satisfying working outdoors with growing things where artistry is demanded as well as sound horticultural practices. It is one thing to 'want' a tree to grow a certain way to make a bonsai but we have to work with, for and against nature to achieve some of our goals. There is a quiet and serene excitement when a tree starts developing from an ugly duckling to the dawn of a bonsai to an actual bonsai that you can put on the bench. And then the short circuit hits when growth gets away from our wishes and we have to gently try to direct nature as we see it. It is a great big daily balancing act and absolutely wonderful for all that. If you have to ask it doesn't sound as tho you have been hooked. Try a couple of trees and see if it grabs you, floats your boat, rocks your cradle, any or all of the above. And when you are stressed, taut, tired and otherwise irritated, walk around your trees and imagine yourself reading a book on the ground under anyone of them and then ask that question as to why we grow them. Why??? Because we love them.
very well said. my bonsai are my release, they take away my stress, they give me a feeling of peace when i look at them, they give me something to do and think about when i feel down or have to much on my mind and they clear my head. my love for my little trees is something that you can only appreciate when you have nurtured and loved them for so long to see something develop from a stump, cutting or bush into a miniture lifelike artistic form of life, just like our kids, you watch them grow and go through stages of life and try and guide them the right way to bee good people. just like we guide are stumps cuttings and bushes into beautiful trees! :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

walk around your trees and imagine yourself reading a book on the ground under anyone of them and then ask that question as to why we grow them. Why??? Because we love them.
It's very calming i have found I just let go and want to be under that tree reading "Bonsai With Australian Native Plants" Becouse it's considered by many to be the Bible of Oz native Bonsai. The story told by Dorothy and Vita Koreshoff.

well said jamie you saved my typing :D :D
Last edited by Chris on September 7th, 2009, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO TREE IS SAFE
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Post by Chris H »

For me it is because I love the variety of life that comes with having something that takes a lot of attention and patience and lets me sit still for an hour or so.
In my other life I have a nonstop whirlwind.
Bonsai for me is peaceful and I enjoy the artistic side as well. We each have our own style to our trees.
I really love that feeling of turning a tree around on the turntable and finding the trees natural movement. Just as exciting is remembering why I twisted it that way two years ago and then applying the plan again. It is this discovery that holds me back from drafting plans for my trees, I prefer the rediscovery as the tree develops. Im sure Id get better results with an organised approach but it would take away some of my fun.
Last edited by Chris H on September 7th, 2009, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Because we CAN
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Hartos wrote:For me it is because I love the variety of life that comes with having something that takes a lot of attention and patience and lets me sit still for an hour or so.
In my other life I have a nonstop whirlwind.
Bonsai for me is peaceful and I enjoy the artistic side as well. We each have our own style to our trees.
I really love that feeling of turning a tree around on the turntable and finding the trees natural movement is just as exciting, remembering why I twisted it that way two years ago and then applying the plan again. It is this discovery that holds me back from drafting plans for my trees, I prefer the rediscovery as the tree develops. Im sure Id get better results with an organised approach but it would take away some of my fun.
a tree is something that is constantly growing and changing, this is one of the challenges we face. its great! :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Jester »

When I read the Pocket Encyclopedia of Bonsai I was hooked. I had fallen in love with a Fukien Tea tree and that was it. For me, it was the ability to express myself by sculpting a living thing whilst feeling completely relaxed and experiencing what I call "Moments of clarity". To think that I can down-scale a tree that would ordinarily be 40 metres high to a size no bigger than my hand!!!

Think about this, if you like art then it is highly likely that you would appreciate a work of art such as the Mona Lisa. To many it is the pinnacle of art.......or should I say STATIC art. Graffiti is also static art, and so are mosaics, pieces of pottery, woodwork and so on. Now consider that through Bonsai, you have the opportunity to work on a LIVING piece of art. It constantly changes.... and in fact never reaches an end point. I would even go so far as to say that they even have their own personalities. There are trees out there in the thousands that in terms of their beauty would leave the Mona Lisa looking.....well... looking the way she does I guess!!

Enough said

P.S. I also use it as an excuse to eat dynamic lifter
Last edited by Jester on September 7th, 2009, 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Bonbon »

I agree totally.

Its the joy of watching them grow, evolve and improve. The time of budding and flowering still amazes me. I get up one hour early every morning recently just to look at the swelling buds and new leaves. It makes me feel so calm and peaceful.

Base on my own experience, I always think Bonsai artists should be peaceful, calm and patient. But unfortunately, it is not true. I did notice someone who have years of experience in Bonsai but still an "ego" with a "red-neck". Their attitude clearly deviate from the nature of Bonsai. Don't know why? :oops:
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Bonbon wrote:I agree totally.

Its the joy of watching them grow, evolve and improve. The time of budding and flowering still amazes me. I get up one hour early every morning recently just to look at the swelling buds and new leaves. It makes me feel so calm and peaceful.

Base on my own experience, I always think Bonsai artists should be peaceful, calm and patient. But unfortunately, it is not true. I did notice someone who have years of experience in Bonsai but still an "ego" with a "red-neck". Their attitude clearly deviate from the nature of Bonsai. Don't know why? :oops:
not a clue on that, but i think this is a great idea for a topic :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Post by Chris H »

Bonbon wrote:
That is just the nature of people, it takes all types.
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

bodhidharma wrote:Because we CAN
YEAH! :P :lol:
Regards Antonio:
Kelv
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: EVERYTHING!!!

Post by Kelv »

Just love trees really, the imagery a tree can evoke is very enchanting at times. Trees of all shapes, sizes and styles.
Shohins cause its sublimity of nature packed into 6 inches, or when you stand in front of a bonsai tree about a meter high and two meters wide... you face NOTHING but an organism of wood, water and chlorophyll fashioned into a style that replicates the majesty of an ancient tree that stood strong for many ages.
Love it how bonsai can create a range of emotions.

Oh, and its something unique I reckon, being different is special =D
Melbourne, Victoria.
15 years of bonsai.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I grow Bonsai because it is a great Teacher. It teaches us Art, Science History and Philosophy.
It also teaches us that mans ability and being is fragile. If he has to resort to Sarcasm.
All men have EGOS some need there's stroked more than others.
Red necks can rule the world two have done so in the last century Father and Son. :)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Pup..surely you are not talking about those two humanitarian BUSHY things......are you.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"

Return to “The Menu”