Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: [Josh] Ash eWorkshop

Post by Grant Bowie »

Thanks for the work you have done.

The clean up has made the root system clearer. Some remedial work can be done over the following years to shorten the heavy roots and encourage a more even root system.

The photo from the possible front has also made the choices clearer and you could go a number of ways; the double trunk you have virted or a hollow trunk broomish style; or even a multi trunked base deciduous style.

Any preferences?

Grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Grant Bowie wrote:Thanks for the work you have done.

The clean up has made the root system clearer. Some remedial work can be done over the following years to shorten the heavy roots and encourage a more even root system.

The photo from the possible front has also made the choices clearer and you could go a number of ways; the double trunk you have virted or a hollow trunk broomish style; or even a multi trunked base deciduous style.

Any preferences?

Grant
The twin trunk I think could be done to look quite convincing. Not sure exactly what you mean by hollow trunk broom? or Multi trunk, multi trunk would usually have all trunks starting right at the base so not so what you mean here. Could you possibly draw a basic design of what you are thinking with those two ideas?? Thanks

Josh
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Josh wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote:Thanks for the work you have done.

Any preferences?

Grant
The twin trunk I think could be done to look quite convincing. Not sure exactly what you mean by hollow trunk broom? or Multi trunk, multi trunk would usually have all trunks starting right at the base so not so what you mean here. Could you possibly draw a basic design of what you are thinking with those two ideas?? Thanks

Josh
Yes, I will do some sketches.

grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Ash Josh Sketch.jpeg
For a broom style all branches will go up and out.

For a multi(high) trunk use same base but all branches are wired down first.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Thanks Grant, have printed your virt and will sit in front of the tree and see which way it leads me. Personally learning towards the twin trunk but will see if the tree speaks to me. Thanks for doing that.

Josh
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Go with your heart. First instincts are often good.

grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Grant Bowie wrote:Go with your heart. First instincts are often good.

grant
Your right there Grant. Thanks, I would like to go with the twin trunk. Let me know where to go from here.

Josh
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Josh wrote:

grant
Your right there Grant. Thanks, I would like to go with the twin trunk. Let me know where to go from here.

Josh
The carving is first off the rank. Do you have die grinders, arbortec, dremels etc and bits?

Carve down close to the ground but not too close. lowest opoint would be just to the right of the very heavy root. Let the root feed the left hand trunk and the trunk feed the root etc.

Grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Grant Bowie wrote:
Josh wrote:

grant

Josh
The carving is first off the rank. Do you have die grinders, arbortec, dremels etc and bits?

Carve down close to the ground but not too close. lowest opoint would be just to the right of the very heavy root. Let the root feed the left hand trunk and the trunk feed the root etc.

Grant
I have a basic die grinder although this might be an excuse to go buy one :fc: . I also have a dremel. I have a terrier bit from Kaizen UK and also a smaller bit from them. I have a couple of other simple bits.
split trunk.JPG
I will warn you my carving skills are basic but willing to have a go. Let know your thought on carving and where I go with it.

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

The two trunks should be different heights and be of appropriate thickness to their height; taller and fatter; shorter and thinner.

Try and sculpt rather than just straight up and down. Think like a Termite! Follow any grain etc

Don't go down as close to the ground as you have shown and don't turn them into two separate trees.

The Die Grinder does the major wood shifting work and the Dremel tidies up and puts lines and character in to the final result
Grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Hi Grant, So I had an attempt at carving today. I say attempt cause it's not good. Let me know what you think. If you need more/better photos I will do.
z12.JPG
z13.JPG
z14.JPG
z15.JPG
z16.JPG
z17.JPG
z18.JPG
The trunk to the right is smaller/thinner than the left one and would be reduced in height to make that trunk shorter/side of the tree smaller. I think it would look ok.
Let me know your thoughts :palm:

Josh
Last edited by Josh on July 28th, 2013, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi,

You could extend down with safety to the round scar an inch or two lower. If you choose to do this then leave the healing parts at the side and bottom and cut down into the top portion of the scar only.

There is no risk of it dying down into the roots as long as you allow it to drain; ie no holes into the trunk below the healed portion of scar tissue.

You can do that or not; your choice.

I would then seal the cuts and carving with cut paste; not putty; and then wire.

Don't carve too close to any existing branches that you will wire; doing that plus sealing will ensure no die back.

What will you do do you think?

Grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Grant Bowie wrote:Hi,

You could extend down with safety to the round scar an inch or two lower. If you choose to do this then leave the healing parts at the side and bottom and cut down into the top portion of the scar only.

There is no risk of it dying down into the roots as long as you allow it to drain; ie no holes into the trunk below the healed portion of scar tissue.

You can do that or not; your choice.

I would then seal the cuts and carving with cut paste; not putty; and then wire.

Don't carve too close to any existing branches that you will wire; doing that plus sealing will ensure no die back.

What will you do do you think?

Grant
Yeah I had wondered about doing that, bringing the carving down to meet the existing scare. Think it will blend it better. I will do and repost photos. When you say seal the cuts and carving with cut paste, are you meaning to cover the entire carved area with paste????

Thanks for your help.
Josh
Last edited by Josh on July 28th, 2013, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

The carving tool you used has left a rough appearance and will need to be further worked in a year or two. You can take time and look around for the right tool; no hurry.

In the mean time we want the new branches and trunks to thicken up and not accidentally dry out; so best ; as a minimum; to put paste all around the area where the cambium is now exposed but I think you might as well do the lot just to be sure.

I carved an English elm a few years ago and one branch close to the carving went OK for a year and then failed; may have dried out so I am now a bit more cautious.

Grant
;
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Hoping this is what you meant Grant :fc:
106.JPG
107.JPG
108.JPG
109.JPG
110.JPG
112.JPG
I have to wire the branches now. Should they be angled down, level or slightly up?? Anything else you think should be done now??

Thanks
Josh

Return to “Ash eWorkshop”