Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

Re: [Kerry 1] Ash eWorkshop

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant,

Have carried out the additional pruning as per your suggestions by taking out the longer of the top branchlets and the larger of the two branches lower down.
Sorry I have not had a chance to photograph the result but will do this tomorrow and post a pic.

If there is anything else you think I need to do just let me know but I am guessing that we will now be waiting for the spring growth.

Thanks for your help so far it has been most appreciated and a very enjoyable exercise.

Bst Rgds Kerry
けり
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Kerry wrote:Hi Grant,

Have carried out the additional pruning as per your suggestions by taking out the longer of the top branchlets and the larger of the two branches lower down.
Sorry I have not had a chance to photograph the result but will do this tomorrow and post a pic.

If there is anything else you think I need to do just let me know but I am guessing that we will now be waiting for the spring growth.

Thanks for your help so far it has been most appreciated and a very enjoyable exercise.

Bst Rgds Kerry
Good work.

Yes we wait for spring now. By wiring the branches down it will stimulate the buds further back up the branch, and all the work should encourage some new buds on the trunk and apex; as long as the tree is in good condition.

Once the strongest growth elongates we trim that back hard while leaving the slower growth alone for a while longer. This balances the vigour and continues to encourage back budding. We then defoliate which does it all over again.

Grant
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant,
Sorry for the delay, the pictures show the last two actions taken
1: To remove the back RH branchlet at the apex
2: Remove the larger of the two branches on the RH top from the front

After looking at the pic from the front I think I need to bend part of the back branch 3rd up RH side front view so that the movement is more sympathetic with the 2 lower branches.
Strange that it seems OK from the back view. Will take a closer look tomorrow.

I am wondering on the timing of the next phase, will you make contact when you consider there should be enough growth or will we contact you.
Bst Rgds Kerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
けり
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Kerry wrote:Hi Grant,
Sorry for the delay, the pictures show the last two actions taken
1: To remove the back RH branchlet at the apex
2: Remove the larger of the two branches on the RH top from the front

After looking at the pic from the front I think I need to bend part of the back branch 3rd up RH side front view so that the movement is more sympathetic with the 2 lower branches.
Strange that it seems OK from the back view. Will take a closer look tomorrow.

I am wondering on the timing of the next phase, will you make contact when you consider there should be enough growth or will we contact you.
Bst Rgds Kerry
With most trees the back is a possible alternate front.

In spring cut back the strongest growth and once the cut back parts have resprouted and caught up we should do a trim and defoliation.

We can do additional wiring if necessary etc.

Do the first trim yourself and let me know when you think it is time to defoliate. A week or two late won't matter greatly but might affect how many times we can defoliate in a season.

Cheers,

Grant
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant,
Thanks for the forewarning of the actions we need to take in the coming season.
Looking forward to the growth starting so we can move on to the next phase.

I am presuming that next year we will probably want to repot this tree and I would appreciate if you could give me some advice re what style, dimensions and color range of pots to look out for.
The tree is currently 410 mm high x 300 mm wide x 260 mm deep.
The trunk is approx 50 to 55 mm diameter.
We will be removing some of the surface roots however there is a solid mass that extends back from 150 mm from the trunk centre.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts

Rgds Kerry
けり
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

The current pot looks fine. It looks like a good quality Japanese production pot(not hand made).

The style of tree is reasonably elegant and slender rather than chunky, so I don't think a deeper pot is necessary. Pot colour is OK as well I feel.

Once the surface roots are tidied up it will look better and it could be lowered slightly in the pot after a good bottom root prune.
Very flat root system.JPG
They can be root pruned fairly hard as you can see.

grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Thanks Grant for your comments about a pot for the Ash tree.

You are correct in saying that the current pot is Japanese and as I recall it was not very cheap so we could assume reasonable quality.
I think I bought it about 30 years ago from Koreshoff's nursery in Sydney when I had a number of trees.
Unfortunately my work took me overseas for long periods so it was not practical to continue with Bonsai as a hobby. Having said that I did retain a few pots.

Now that I am retired I am getting lots of enjoyment from starting with Bonsai again, it is very much a learning experience all over again after 25 years or so away but it is good fun.
Look forward to the day I have the nerve to root prune as hard as the example you have shown.

Many thanks for your advice
Rgds Kerry
けり
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant, Have been watching the site for developments and note that there has been a start on defoliation.
I have attached a front and back view of my tree as it is now.
Have been keeping new growth trimmed hence the smaller leaf size not sure if I have overdone this or not.
Also have left some unchecked growth at the bottom which is growing from where a branch has been removed in the hope that it will assist with faster healing of the scar.
Would appreciate if you could let me know if you think that it would be OK to defoliate now and any other comments you may have.
Bst Rgds Kerry
けり
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Yes,

Defoliate now. Make sure you pinch out all the tips of the branches(except the super weakest internal branches) and remove all the leaves entirely(once again except the super weakest internal branches).

Grant
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Thanks Grant,
Will do today,
Rgds Kerry
けり
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant, Attached photo of the defoliated tree.
Would appreciate any comments and also advice on after care for the tree after this defoliation process.
EG: should I keep it in the shade for a while and advice on when to fertilize.
Thanks for your help Rgds Kerry
けり
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi,

We expect to defoliate multiples time in a year so we are not looking at leaf reduction but more for back budding and ramification. Keep up the fertiliser all through the growing season; keep in full sun and water well once it starts leafing out. Back off watering immediately after defoliation but do not let dry out of course. No need to hide the tree in shade; even in January, after defoliation.

With an established and ramified tree you could stop fertilising just before the defoliation and keep out in full sun to keep leaf size small but we are not at this stage yet.

Grant
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Thanks for the advice Grant, most appreciated.

After defoliating the tree and looking more closely at the structure I am inclined to think that the bottom RH branch is a bit to long, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this point.

Bst Rgds Kerry
けり
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Long low branches can be cut back later. Best to keep them longer now and encourage as much back budding as possible to give us multiple cut back points.

The growth naturally goes higher up the tree so keep what you can down low for now.

Grant
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Thanks Grant will do as advised, it is really a very interesting phase of the workshop now that we have had the initial spring growth and are starting the defoliating process to encourage back budding. Will be good to observe what actually develops.
Rgds Kerry
けり

Return to “Ash eWorkshop”