New pots from a new potter. Comments wanted

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: New pots from a new potter. Comments wanted

Post by peterb »

Hi Josh
I like the crescent pots texture but would like it in a bit more traditional shape as i agree with a comment earlier about stability , it doesn't look stable but that could just be in the foto love to see it in hand . The other 2 look fantastic but agree that would look good if was a little more matt in finish , i'm a bit of a fan of abstract things so these appeal to me. Good to see more aussie potters coming through so that we can support local :aussie:
regards
peterb
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Ok so caught up with the potter today, the pots look better in person than in the photos. I've taken some better photos (hopefully :palm: ) the glaze does have a slight shine but not enough to be an issue, nothing like the first photos showed.
6.JPG
7.JPG
After seeing these she then pulls out two my OMG pots.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG
Interested in comments on the above pots. She is making more and will hopefully have some for sale soon.

Josh

PS. These pots are now all in my collection :clap: :tu:

PPS. in response to Joann's post on pot quality, these pots are high fired and meet all the requirements for pots :tu: :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Josh on March 14th, 2015, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Love the first one but not so sure about the last one :lost:

Nice texture though

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

They look pretty good!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Wayne R »

I'm liking OMG#1; especially if the image colour is accurate. However, #2 doesn't do it for me. I have a feeling that the undercut on the pot would tend to make the tree/pot combo look unbalanced or unsteady.
Peace
Wayne
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Josh
Absolutely love the first pot, that finish is fantastic , also not so sure about the second, the base appears a bit to high making the actual pot a bit top heavy . the new fotos of the rock pots make a huge difference . I really like them :)
regards
peterb
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Post by hugh grant »

The 2 new pots posted here are fantastic, the colouring is amazing. I love them both. Im not sure why people are not liking the last one, its an interesting shape true, but that dosnt remove it from being a plausible pot. pots are not generic and can fit all trees, there are trees that would work in this pot and not work in this pot, just the same way there are trees that would not work and work in all the other pots.

Hugh
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Hi Josh
I like pretty much all the pot, why. Mainly different horses for different courses. Depending on the style of the tree/setting of what one is planning can help make the type of pot selection. To create a harmonious picture! Again I suppose it also comes down to personal chose? Really would I like to look at the range/price of the pots. Always looking for some different :tu2: ;)
Cheers Rod
ps. Sunday ramblerings :?: :?: :?:
Stroudy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Serissa Foetida & Ficus

Post by Stroudy »

Love the 2nd pot mate
Proud owner of 1 Serissa foetida, 1 Port Jackson Fig, and 1/2 a bottlebrush
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

kcpoole wrote:Love the first one but not so sure about the last one :lost:

Nice texture though

Ken
Hi Ken, these pots have great texture. The clay is not traditionally thrown on a wheel because of its rough texture, it's like running you hand over coarse sandpaper at high speed. Because of this reason she can only do one or two pots at a time.
Wayne R wrote:I'm liking OMG#1; especially if the image colour is accurate. However, #2 doesn't do it for me. I have a feeling that the undercut on the pot would tend to make the tree/pot combo look unbalanced or unsteady.
Hi Wayne, I took several photos until I got the colour match pretty good so yes it is pretty accurate. For some reason the photo of the second pot makes it look worse than it is. It was the second pot spun so her fingers were a bit tender on this one which may account for the slightly different shape. I'd still put a tree in it though :tu:
peterb wrote:Hi Josh
Absolutely love the first pot, that finish is fantastic , also not so sure about the second, the base appears a bit to high making the actual pot a bit top heavy . the new fotos of the rock pots make a huge difference . I really like them :)
regards
peterb
Thanks Peter. See my comment above on the second pot, the base is no higher than the first pot, for some reason the photo makes it appear really off. I was really impressed with the slab pots when I saw them. The glaze has a very slight sheen to it but not enough to distract you from the tree. Some of the glazes are her own blends.

hugh grant wrote:The 2 new pots posted here are fantastic, the colouring is amazing. I love them both. Im not sure why people are not liking the last one, its an interesting shape true, but that dosnt remove it from being a plausible pot. pots are not generic and can fit all trees, there are trees that would work in this pot and not work in this pot, just the same way there are trees that would not work and work in all the other pots.

Hugh
Thanks Hugh, appreciate your comments. I was amazed at the coloring in the pots when I saw them. Pretty good effort for her first go at bonsai pots I thought.

rodm wrote:Hi Josh
I like pretty much all the pot, why. Mainly different horses for different courses. Depending on the style of the tree/setting of what one is planning can help make the type of pot selection. To create a harmonious picture! Again I suppose it also comes down to personal chose? Really would I like to look at the range/price of the pots. Always looking for some different :tu2: ;)
Cheers Rod
ps. Sunday ramblerings :?: :?: :?:
Glad you like them Rod. We are still working out pricing but the indications are very reasonable :imo: I am getting more made and should have them within the next month. I will post them along with prices once we confirm everything. I'd be more than happy to post so keep an eye out for them. I also asked for some more traditional pots with blue and brown glazes (not standard though) which I'm itching to see. Lots of good things to come.
Stroudy wrote:Love the 2nd pot mate
CoGRedeMptioN wrote:They look pretty good!
Cheers
Elmar
Thanks for comments guys, really appreciate it. Glad to know we are on the right track with them. I've never looked at making pots and the potter has not done them before either so new territory for us but happy with it so far. Now to find a tree to put in them :whistle:

Josh.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

The first one is a nice looking pot.. Nice colour and texture. The base on the second one looks a bit deep, but this may just be the photo as you pointed out? Initial thought was an elm would go well in the second pot... good result for a first set of bonsai pots!
joannm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Saotome Azalea
Bonsai Age: 45
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by joannm »

Josh , the ladies work is really lovely.

as for my ask ?'s it was not directed at her or you . I got an email from someone who made this mistake and asked if I could clarify to all.

I see you mentioned she is finding it hard to work with rough clay on the wheel . She is welcome to contact me and come over to speak with me. I can tell her how she can remedy this problem, as well as any other questions about doing bonsai pots is concerned.
I am more than happy to help her , we need others as we have certainly lost a few in the past year or two.

joann :D
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

joannm wrote:Josh , the ladies work is really lovely.

as for my ask ?'s it was not directed at her or you . I got an email from someone who made this mistake and asked if I could clarify to all.

I see you mentioned she is finding it hard to work with rough clay on the wheel . She is welcome to contact me and come over to speak with me. I can tell her how she can remedy this problem, as well as any other questions about doing bonsai pots is concerned.
I am more than happy to help her , we need others as we have certainly lost a few in the past year or two.

joann :D

Hi Joann,
I didn't take it you were having a dig. I was quite glad you posted the comments you did. I would've hated to go to all this effort getting the pots right to find out they weren't any good for bonsai. Yes she certainly does nice work. Thanks for the offer on helping out. I'm planning on taking some tomorrow night to get some feedback so might have a chat with you there about them. Thanks Joann.

Josh.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Josh,
New photos breed new perspectives, the original pots look a lot nicer in the more recent shots, but honestly my interest is more in the 2 newer (omg) ones you posted.... yep, now we're getting somewhere! If I was walking past a market stall and saw those I would stop, consider, rub my chin, look at my wife shaking her head at me & then do my best to ignore her glares while I tell her "I'll just be a second", they got my attention! Nice... :tu:
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Ryceman3 wrote:Hi Josh,
New photos breed new perspectives, the original pots look a lot nicer in the more recent shots, but honestly my interest is more in the 2 newer (omg) ones you posted.... yep, now we're getting somewhere! If I was walking past a market stall and saw those I would stop, consider, rub my chin, look at my wife shaking her head at me & then do my best to ignore her glares while I tell her "I'll just be a second", they got my attention! Nice... :tu:
Hi Ryceman3. The 2 slab pots definitely look better than in the original photos that's for sure. I did discuss with the potter the fact the slab pots are more specific to a tree whereas the new rounds would be more popular to just buy ready for when a tree needed potting. I'm meeting with her in the next few days to discuss some finer details and then hopefully have some made for sale so stay tuned.

Josh.

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”