Marie Hewartson pot

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Marie Hewartson pot

Post by Grant Bowie »

Casuarina in the pot shown above.
IMG_7422.jpg
Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Depending on the actual species though, but generally I do love a good lean for my Casuarinas. Is this the final angle of the trunk? I like it.
A long way to go on the branches, but a nice start.

Perhaps not one, but a few suckers at base will be a perfect replica of them in the wild too, embodying all the straggly awesomeness. I love the look of the off shoots that sucker up from the exposed roots too.

I'm curious. Do you pluck the growth to promote ramification more on this, as I presume you are happy with the branch placements and trunk size. Or do you simply grow and then cut back the branches hard to promote the ramification more. ie. Once you are happy with the branch size/thickness relative to the other branches of course, what is your preferred method of growth. Is this cunninghamiana? The absence of aged bark down low makes it an interesting ID. Hard to see so far out, but the trunk doesn't resemble short needled equisetifolia, but your needles look like it or you are a growth plucker.

Is it in full sun? Looks healthy.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

The history of this species or selection goes back a bit.

It allegedly involved smuggling into Australia from Hawaii. In Hawaii Casuarina was introduced from Australai as a windbreak for pineapple plantations because it could withstand salty wind.

It was in Australia for a number of years before I was given a cutting and I propagated it and passed some onto Ray Nesci and sold a few here and there myself. Even in Sydney it was a slow grower so I assumed it was a dwarf selection of C eqesitfolia; but now I am not sure as it grows much quicker in Qld.

It has a smooth bark, it fattens quickly In Sydney and further south but in Qld it stretched and grew much quicker. It buds back freely all over, especially after damaging or dry out.

It can be touchy and a number of people have lost or damaged them for a variety of reasons.

Tess Simpson did all the training on the tree that is evident. I had intended to style it in a Bunjini , twin trunk style but accidentally snapped off the second trunk at ground level. A bud emerged and I will let that grow for a few years.

I have plucked off a little growth under the branches only.

Grant
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

At first look I though it was Gynostoma australianum (common name Daintree Pine). Very similar growth pattern and bark. Gynostoma is a monotypic genius from the Casuaraceae family and no more a pine than She Oaks are Oaks.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Grant Bowie wrote:It was in Australia for a number of years before I was given a cutting and I propagated it and passed some onto Ray Nesci and sold a few here and there myself. Even in Sydney it was a slow grower so I assumed it was a dwarf selection of C eqesitfolia; but now I am not sure as it grows much quicker in Qld.

It has a smooth bark, it fattens quickly In Sydney and further south but in Qld it stretched and grew much quicker. It buds back freely all over, especially after damaging or dry out.

It can be touchy and a number of people have lost or damaged them for a variety of reasons.
Ahh yes, I know the stock you are talking about Grant. I have purchased a few of them myself from Ray - he hasn't got any stock left - but will be propagating again in Spring if anyone is interested. Not sure if he meant still growing, or will start in Spring, but for those interested just call Ray. It is a very nice Cas and makes for a great stock, with minimal pinching required.

Yes, it is definitely a casuarina, produces beautiful short needles making it easy to keep compact, and mine shoot all over as well. I purchased 4 from Ray, but lost the first 2 over a year ago. I think I overwatered them and didn't give them enough sun, but I hopefully learnt from the first 2 deaths. The remaining 2, I repotted them and stripped the old very heavy soil off and they have been okay for a year so far in the sunniest spots we have.

Mine are slow to grow too, it rivals cas distyla for its slow growth. I have noticed they really do love their sun, and really don't do well when shaded.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”