[Bougy Fan] Bougainvillea

A continuation of entries in the 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 competition. To take your existing shohin and refine them further over 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is only open to previous entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progression Competitions from 2011-2012 and 2013-2014. You will not be able to post a new topic or enter unless you were in the last competition. Please use the CREATE category for new entries.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: [Bougy Fan] Bougainvillea

Post by Bougy Fan »

Considering I have had this on a shelf up the back not getting much sun I am pleased with the progress. Think I will wire up the top branch to continue the trunk up but I may end up with the tree being too high - again :palm:
Bougy 2nd Update.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

I wired up that branch but still have to get the rule out to check the height. I am not happy with the mix this tree is in - will repot soon. I am pleased with the roots - starting to come up nicely.
Bougy 3rd Update.jpg
Bougy 3rd Update roots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

I haven't repotted this yet - it is going OK. I am pleased with the nebari on this one but not the growth in particular the branching.
8th Update 2.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well I have this in a bonsai pot now - I felt it would need time to settle in. Also will help with leaf reduction too. Not happy with the location and number of branches but you get that
9TH Update Bougy 1.jpg
9th Update Bougy 2.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Update time - this has had slow progress. I am happy with the way the base and trunk are progressing - but have to concentrate on building some branching
10th update bougy1 resize.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This is the final submission
Bougy 11th update 1.jpg
Bougy 11th update 2.jpg
I am very unhappy with this tree - it has just not flourished as it should have, It is very leggy and the branching is very poor. The mix may be too fine and holding too much water - I will repot it shortly and upon inspection of the current mix will decide on the make up of the new mix. This species does well as a shohin so I will endeavour to continue to improve the tree. I am learning that shohin trees are very touchy when it comes to the mix and even though the post are smaller they still need to drain well. Quite a few more years of development for this tree to make it acceptable.
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

New post for the comp. Current height is 300mm.
AB2016Bougy1X.jpg
AB2016Bougy2X.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

OK so I repotted this and it obviously needed it - also put it in a deeper pot which it seems to like.. This tree is progressing so much better now - hoping to be able to select some better branches. Bonsai is definitely a patience game :whistle:
AB2016 Bougy 3.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well it's that time again - haven't been doing much with this except watering. I had it in the shade thus the large leaves. Apologies for the crap photo.
AB2016 Bougy 4.jpg
Regards Tony

kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Bougy Fan wrote: Apologies for the crap photo.]
No excuse when you have the camera you do :-) :lol: :lol:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well I learnt the neighbours Classic Cream Colourbond fence is NOT suitable as a backdrop in bright light :palm:
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well I have been busy with work and fighting the prolonged heat wave - at least I know it's healthy by flowering :tu:
AB2017 Bougy.jpg
It seems to like it's new pot and is growing on. Not happy with the branching but bougy's can be like that.
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

I am happy with the trunk and nebari - the rest needs some work done. More fertiliser and water required.
AB2017 Bougy May.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well this is proof there has been some form of winter up here in god's country. Bald but still alive :whistle:
DSC_3576.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

It is pouring here in Brissy so no work for Tony. Perfect time to finalise the comp entries :tu:
DSC_5090.jpg
DSC_5091.jpg
So I know this looks like a stick, but it is still alive. I had to trim it to make the height, and it is green underneath. This tree is suffering badly from neglect like all my comp entries. Future plans include sun and chook poo and water to bring it back to a healthy state. If I can get some budding and new branches I will remove some of the existing branches that I am not happy with. A repot into a different mix is also called for as the deco doesn't seem to be successful. Onwards and upwards !
Regards Tony

Return to “Category 1. REFINE”