[Bougy Fan] Ficus benjamina

A continuation of entries in the 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 competition. To take your existing shohin and refine them further over 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is only open to previous entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progression Competitions from 2011-2012 and 2013-2014. You will not be able to post a new topic or enter unless you were in the last competition. Please use the CREATE category for new entries.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: [Bougy Fan] Ficus benjamina

Post by Neli »

But as luck will have it or maybe over torture our trees for the competition my ficus B Natasha has not grown at all.
I think the difference is that the first one was planted in sand and soil while the second FBN just sand. It was fertilized well but it just did not grow. When I tried to repot it...it had no roots almost.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well it's that time again - still continue to be disappointed with this tree. I have been a bit slack with care lately and I am sure it's position hasn't helped
10th update benji1 resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This is the final submission
Benji 11th update 1.jpg
Benji 11th update 2.jpg
I am not sure this species is suitable for use as a shohin - but I will persist with it. As with some of my other trees I believe the mix has been detrimental to the trees progression. Ironically the newer entries to the create section are doing better due to the coarser mix I have used in them. This will be repotted soon now the comp is finished and hopefully it will thrive. Due to the leggy nature of the tree I think it will be suited to a larger style tree but time will tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

OK so the proof of life post :whistle: This has just sat and hasn't had any attention :palm: Current height is 500mm
AB2016Benji1X.jpg
AB2016Benji2X.jpg
Last edited by Bougy Fan on May 22nd, 2016, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot height - DOH !
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This tree is slowing going the way I want. I have been trying to feed it some more and cut back the branching to get some ramification closer to the trunk. Even though the growth slows down being in a bonsai pot I believe it gives me more control. More food and water :tu2:
AB2016 Benji3.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well here we are again. Nothing to write home about - this has been away at the back not getting enough sun or water. Work keeps getting in the way of things :palm: Please ignore the poor photo - too lazy to reshoot :whistle:
AB2016 Benji4.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

OK well it is still alive - starting to think a benji is not suited to a shohin. It has been very hot here in Brisbane so at least it is still alive :?
AB2017 Benji.jpg
At least the photos are better :whistle:
Regards Tony

Jag001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Jag001 »

Bougy fan,

In my humble opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with Baby Ben figs for Shohin material. I would have thought in Brissy they would be powering along.
Great part about Baby Ben's is that when in good health they will sprout back new shoots from the trunk.

The one I have attached here suffered badly with Frost Bight and I lost every leaf on the tree. Many of the branches died back so I simply removed all the dead leaves, cut off the branches that died back. Put him out in full sun and he has shot back new shoots everywhere!

I am currently letting them grow untrimmed to allow him to regain full strength.

Cheers,
Jeff
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi Jeff I agree that a Baby Ben - which is a variety with smaller leaves would make a great shohin canditate. I however have used the "ordinary" cultivar who's leaves are probably twice as big and I don't think they are as vigorous. Brisbane has been so hot and dry these past few months - it has been a battle to keep everything alive. And that is the whole point of having the comp - to learn more about this wonderful art :tu2:
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This has made a bit more progress - probably should have put it back into a nursery pot. Nothing clever to say on a Friday night after a long week at work :palm:
AB2017 Benji May.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

So I have been a bit more dilligent with this one - keeping up the water and Rooster Booster.
DSC_3580.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

So this is the final post for the comp - I need more time !!!!!
DSC_5088.jpg
DSC_5089.jpg
I had to cut this back quite heavily to make the height - it has finally put on a bit of growth but all on the top unfortunately. This tree also needs repotting and some TLC, but I am finally starting to think this has some potential. It may be suited to a slighyly larger size, but we will see how it goes. I have rotated it from the original front, I like this view better. It has been tucked away since I was on holidays so hasn't got as much sun or water as it needs. Again a reminder that small trees need more care not less.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on November 29th, 2017, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Tony

Return to “Category 1. REFINE”