Bonsai pot vendor in melbourne

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Bonsai pot vendor in melbourne

Post by KIRKY »

I'm not sure about why the question?
You would have to ask your local potter eg Marg if she is willing to make you a one of. Size wise it will depend on the size of the Kiln. Some potters have small kilns and may not be able to accommodate. Or your requested pot would be the only thing they can put in the kiln. Therefore the potter would/should charge more for the pot to recover costs incurred etc...
You wont know till you ask your local potter.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

Hi , I am on the wiki thingy as a potter , but can't get my details to show . Have never had anyone contact me through the wiki . Maybe it needs upgrading ?
Cheers
Graham
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

regwac wrote:Hi , I am on the wiki thingy as a potter , but can't get my details to show . Have never had anyone contact me through the wiki . Maybe it needs upgrading ?
Cheers
Graham
You are correct Graham.

I have tried to update it in the past but all I get is this error:

Your edit has been rejected because your client mangled the punctuation characters in the edit token. The edit has been rejected to prevent corruption of the page text. This sometimes happens when you are using a buggy web-based anonymous proxy service.

Perhaps a MOD can explain what the problem is, as I've tried 3 different browsers from different locations in the last 6 months and always get the same error.
Marie Hewartson from QLD wanted to be added as well, and as Graham says he has only got his website in there.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I can see regwac on the wiki page
New South Wales
Janet Selby, http://www.janetselby.com.au/index.php?id=48&gid=2
Pat Kennedy, "Mirkwood Forest", 10 Tumut Street, Adelong, NSW, 2729, phone 02 6946 2956
Penny Davis "Mudlark Pottery", http://www.bonsaipotsau.blogspot.com , Blackalls Park – Newcastle, NSW, email mudlarkpottery@bigpond.com , Phone 02 4959 4482
Graham ( Regwac ) http://www.bonsaipots-g.com/
Charliegreen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Charliegreen »

Aus Bonsai Community

I can see yall have had a great time flaming my original post.
Purposefully provocative it has brought out all the old back slappers that seem to dominate Bonsai discussion on this Forum.
FYI not even close to 60, still have a mind willing to innovate and push the boundaries of what can be achieved in the Bonsai Vacuum of Aus.

One of the key tenants of this Site is to further the Art form of Bonsai.
Congratulating each other with gold stars and pats on the back for mediocre quality workmanship seems to be a theme here and moreover this Country.
The quality of Australian Bonsai, including mine is almost uniformly laughable in comparison to abroad and telling each other how great we do it is just not helpful.
Take a look at the advancements going on in the USA from the likes of Ryan Neil , Bjorn and Artisans Cup . Aim higher people.

Re Pots. Why do local potters try to reinvent the wheel when their skill level with clay is clearly amateur????
Get creative but stick to the basic masculine/feminine design base that Asia has refined over hundreds of years.

So passionate about making better trees and the hardware to display but get that feeling of depression when I visit busiest Bonsai forum in Aus and can see no one else gives a F!

Big tip here, if you havent been to Japan and you luuuve Bonsai. Do it, open your eyes, soak it up . Australia is a 2/10. we can do alot better. :aussie:
Charliegreen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Charliegreen »

PS

See Below: This is a bloody awesome idea.
I want to buy from Aus Potters and I'm sure there someone out there thats willing to make it for me. Just dont have the connections

"Can you imagine if this site actually started up a section for doing the same for our Australian potters that can put up a showcase of their own pots with a minimum order amount per potter and with prices that they are happy to replicate. Then once they get an order they can replicate the pot on request and ship to the buyers address. But that is entirely up to each potter and whether or not Steven and the mods are interested in that idea. So Ausbonsai displays a showcase for each potter and the pots they are happy to reproduce. It has the contact details for each potter and the pricing they would like for each pot."
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Charliegreen wrote:Get creative but stick to the basic masculine/feminine design base that Asia has refined over hundreds of years.
Why would you want pot styles that are centuries out of date and have been copied to death :palm:

I'd much prefer a one-off, good quality, hand-made original :aussie: :flag: or elsewhere

Just like the rest of bonsai artistry, it's all about personal preference

FYI some of OUR :flag: potters get orders from all over the world BECAUSE of their high quality, unique approach and attention to detail :aussie:
Last edited by cre8ivbonsai on September 7th, 2016, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Advancements going on in the US. Seriously? Have you looked at the age of the Yamadori being collected and worked on in the US? We don't have the same stock here, that has any kind of age on it compared to places like the US, Japan or Europe for that matter. As for the Artisans Cup there were complaints about the judging due to the high number of collected Yamadori material being judged against trees that were grown and nurtured for Bonsai.
Countrysides are being pillaged of hundreds of year old trees. How can you possibly compare our Bonsai to theirs?
I dare you to go bush and find 500+ year old Junipers, Pines, Hemlock etc... And then go through the paper work to legally remove them. :o Only then can you compare our Bonsai.
As for Get creative "BUT" stick to basic design????? :lost: If you want basic design it can be found everywhere.
Creative? New? Different? Innovative? "BUT".... stick to the basics! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Kirky
Charliegreen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Charliegreen »

Two typical responces from people who wont acheive anything in this artform.

"Oh they get to collect yamadori" Find urban yamadori in hedge rows that fits the bill??
Grow your plants harder, IE in the ground, experiment w growth media & fertilizer.

Re modification of a exisitng pottery design. Its called breaking the rules gracefully.
Standing on the shoulders of giants. ect Its a base principle of design.

Close minded individuals is why the standard of Bonsai in Aus is stagnating.
The other reason is that its a hobby populated by morons.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Charliegreen wrote:Two typical responces from people who wont acheive anything in this artform.

"Oh they get to collect yamadori" Find urban yamadori in hedge rows that fits the bill??
Grow your plants harder, IE in the ground, experiment w growth media & fertilizer.

Re modification of a exisitng pottery design. Its called breaking the rules gracefully.
Standing on the shoulders of giants. ect Its a base principle of design.

Close minded individuals is why the standard of Bonsai in Aus is stagnating.
The other reason is that its a hobby populated by morons.
If you want to convey an opinion I would suggest toning down the insults and suggest a positive approach.

No-one is born a bonsai master and we all have to learn somewhere.
What you are missing in your rather blunt statement is that bonsai is more than just displaying high quality trees:
It is about :
Meeting new people and making friends
Going for digs, and bus trips with other like minded enthusiasts
Showing children that it isn't about who has the best bonsai or can talk the loudest
Letting everyone have a go and having a hobby that does not have to judge you
Learning horticulture and having a very intimate relationship with nature
Learning patience, acceptance and understanding for all the facets
Understanding that nearly all bonsai can be improved
And most importantly : being a community member and bringing everyone together.

Dismissing a novices attempt at bonsai or telling them their efforts are below standard is very different from showing someone how to improve their tree or skills. All the more experienced members of clubs will usually always give advice on how to improve a tree. :)
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

Charliegreen wrote:Aus Bonsai Community

I can see yall have had a great time flaming my original post....
:clap: ..respect for speaking your mind Charlie! I don't exactly agree with everything you said(a lot I do), but I'm not insecure enough to be offended by someone willing to state their own opinions.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

You wont get far clubing at people to get your point across.
You want to aspire to the heights of Ryan Neil, Bjorn. They generously share their knowledge, humbly suggest change and state clearly that what they are doing isn't right or wrong it works for them. It is the JOY of Bonsai for them. They don't need a club to beat people about the head. Polite suggestions are heard louder and go further than name calling.
If you read through your posts, perhaps slowly. You will see? that being brash has not got your point across the way you might like.
Cheers
Kirky
evan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything Shohin
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society, The School of Bonsai

Post by evan »

And do remember that Ryan Neil and Bjorn are professionals who make a living out of Bonsai. Most of the people on ausbonsai are just doing it as a hobby for fun.

They also need to make advancements to be able to support themselves financially. Without events like the US National Exhibition or the artisans cup, they wouldn't have any business as professional Bonsai artists.

If you really want to make a change for Bonsai in Aus Charliegreen, ask yourself whether you'd be able to commit yourself for 5-7 years as an apprentice.
Last edited by evan on September 8th, 2016, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

Well said Rory....but at the same time I too must admit to enjoying Charliegreen's input. As with Jase, I don't agree with everything he(?) says, but I do like the fact that the pot is being stirred. I'm referring to pots here, not trees.
Innovation in any craft (artform?) is imperative...if you don't go forward, you slip backwards, and CG's suggestion of standing on the Masters shoulders and peering outwards is great....but that doesn't mean that throwing bits of clay together and calling it 'art' is the answer. Little steps, sometimes forward, sometimes back.
I would suggest that any potter would get much from Wildenhain's, Pottery: Form and Expression.

Cheers,
Pat
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Squatty
Bonsai Age: 26

Post by Firecat »

Charliegreen wrote:Massive lack of qual Aus made and JP pots in Australia. Get use to it.
Getting large pots, 50cm and over is a massive struggle.

Aus Potters are now in the vast majority unskilled 60 women who make spoons and clay faces and call them art.

I would pay big dollars for consistent, original pieces of a decent size. But alas were are a population of un-dedicated fat losers. :aussie:
Gee wizz.. had to have a second take on this.. I think most would know where I coming from..'Slagging' ain't a good look here.
Edited as as a member search of 47 posts since 2015 confirm the above.
(but opinions are what Australia in based on)

Steve.
Last edited by Firecat on September 8th, 2016, 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”