DEVELOPING FIGS-TRUNKS AND BASES

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
dyson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: DEVELOPING FIGS-TRUNKS AND BASES

Post by dyson »

Hi everyone,

Dave said that "Because Figs shoot back on old wood, you should always have an abundant choice for future branching in the later development of the tree"..does anyone know if the same thing would apply to a buxus box (boxwood) seedling?
-This is my first attempt at bonsai and I started with a small seedling..I wish I had read this earlier as I already cut off one of the lower branches which I should have left and used as a sacrifice branch. My bonsai is still very young, however the trunk is very straight..what is the best way to add some shape/taper to the tree? ..should I hope that more lower branches come out which I can later use as a 'leader'? thus adding shape to the trunk

Thanks guys
Yoda- "Size matters not"
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Dyson, Buxus are famous for shooting back thats why they are such popular hedging plants. The downside is that they are very slow to develop thick trunks, and the wood is extremely hard.If your tree is very young you could wire the trunk for movement otherwise you would have to cut and regrow. My feeling with box is if you find a good one to collect well and good but to grow one from scratch would be a very long process.
Craigw
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

hi mate,

couple of things I have learnt about buxus, a small pot and they are slow... very slow. second they shoot all over the joint and you wont have an issue getting a new sacrifice. leave it be for some time and watch it become a bush.
in the ground is best but if you cant a grow box will be fine. the more feeder roots you can develop the more shoots you can develop and you will get the tree to thicken. low sacrifices and lots of them is the key, they heal over fine so dont worry bout scars.

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
dyson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by dyson »

Thanks guys,
Thats good news, however my buxus box is currently in a tiny pot! might have to think about moving it into a large pot. Just a couple of questions..if I put it in a larger pot is normal standard soil fine to use? also..will this still be fine for growing a shohin? ie. if it grows quite tall, can I cut it right down to a small size?
Yoda- "Size matters not"
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Can I like them all?
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by Jiro »

DOOT

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”