She-Oak, Australian Pine
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Cas - can you see the tree?

Post by anthonyW »

Collected Casuarina Cunninghamia?....there is at least one very doable nice tree in there and I dare say many more...have ago and show me your tree...don t waste it, nature gave to us, use it, have some fun....look for the tree!

Horticulture/care is a must...but vision/direction, design picked up early will help you greatly...enjoy

Might of got lucky it looks like it is coming back from the dead ...phew :beer:
phpsMVmo1PM.jpg
phpMJ1DFBPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by anthonyW on January 10th, 2019, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Cas - can you see the tree?

Post by MJL »

Hi AnthonyW,

I think you are asking for thoughts on what future styles and/or forms we can see in your collected stock. What opportunities we see. If I have mis-interpreted- forgive me!

I am sure you have a number of excellent ideas already and I certainly don’t have your skills or experience and ....I can’t draw for sh!te - so forgive this attempt! After a quick think over lunch here are two initial options both of which I probably don’t have the skills to apply myself but I propose them anyway. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Option B would give 2 trees - both of great potential I reckon - a triple truck form and a strong, interesting base to grow another tree too.
IMG_6214.jpg
Well done by the way - seems like a great find.

I’ll keep thinking and I look forward to seeing what other opportunities exist too. As you say, it’s a critical part of our art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Well done Mark, that is what it is completely about, ' seeing within'.

You see Mark you nailed it, forget the air layer...your top drawing was considered, but I found two of the branches a little bit thick (not much in it but a little to throw me) to start with if I cut back to your spot, but to be fair i have the luxury of the tree in front of me, if I went that way probably stagger the heights.

The other idea is getting close to where I m at, with the bones you have taken and left, you see you do have vision and some of us just need pushing and a little coaxing to get it out...well done.

You see my post is not about how good you can or cannot draw, vision can come from many forms..imagination, looking at individual trees in forests, your mates trees, forum trees and so on, I feel every body has it and really nothing to do with experience, you just have to know how to express it in some way so you can apply it to your trees, basic line drawings and photos just to name two.

Just putting horticulture a side, physiology then comes next...how it functions, works, meaning can I apply its growing traits to my ideas etc, thats where experience can greatly help to I feel.

But back to design...once again well done Mark, nothing wrong with your sketches, why, because I can understand them.

Sorry you will have wait little bit longer for my design buddy lol :)

cheers Anthony
Last edited by anthonyW on January 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

knowing what little I do about Casuarinas, and how they drop dead when I trunk chop them, I'd have to say go easy on how much you take off. The second view looks to have nice movement in it, even though the trunk to first branch is pretty long...but I'd take it easy on chopping too much off to start with! (maybe that's just me.)
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Since I had my pen out ...
I too like the trunk angle from the second pic so here was what hit me as a first thought, maybe a little obvious/generic but ...
Cas 01.jpg
Cas 02.jpg
... and how I imagine it would look about a week later ... :P
You may notice in my sketch that when I have no idea what I'm meant to be drawing I just chuck in a bit of scribble - don't judge me!
Thanks for a bit of fun Anthony. :yes:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

@R3 - give me break... 'don't judge me' you say - like you can't draw - fair dinkum, your drawing looks like a Disney animation. I was waiting for it to start moving and potentially get up and dance it's that good! You've been judged - bl@@dy good - OK, perhaps not up to AnthonyW's gallery style standards but nonetheless - add some colour and hang it on your wall. :D On a serious note - I get your drawing and see how you have kept enough of the existing branches to make the branch that I as suggesting as the new lead as the primary first branch instead. Good point.

@AnthonyW - thank you for your kind words and for starting this thread - excellent fun and a great way to use our imagination. Yes, my jesting above aside, I totally get that it is not about the drawing. :) Indeed, I am reminded of this article that was sent to me by a friend at the YVBS. https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

It contains this extract - which goes to your point Anthony

"…. the heart of the craft lies in the artisan’s ability to envision clearly what form he (she) would like the tree to take as a mature bonsai…. In order to realize the future tree thus imagined, the artisan nurtures and protects the tree from day to day. But it is the sense for form developed during the training phase that provides the model for the shape the tree will take eventually. ...The presence or absence of this creativity is what decides whether the grower has true talent in this art.”

Cheers again for the thread.

Mark.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:cool: I'll give it a go.... I can see this.
phpMJ1DFBPM.jpg
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks Mel all information is good information thanks you for sharing and your angle preference.

Mark a fantastic quote there, maybe this should be stapled to the Ausbonsai boards, very well spelled out. :yes:

R3 where have you been hiding this foresight, haha, Mark and I will be calling you out now, the go to guy now, well done to you and time spent there, explains the cuts well and direction, and the lines are simple which is what Aussie trees are about most times,,,and your design is very doable :yes:

KCR very nice, I m always suggesting to others have you thought about laying it down, yet I have missed the obvious in this design, thank you for refreshing me there as this definitely works ...cheers mate :yes:

Wow now you guys have chucked spanners in the works and that is a good thing... thankyou.

Hopefully I have showed you and other guys as you have showed me and other guys that vision/direction creation is in all of us that it is not so much relying on experience but more a confidence thing more you do it the better you get and not to forget the main object and people of same likes is of course the fun of the hobby it brings with it... :) Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Here we go some information on tree it was collected about 13mths to 16mths ago memory?...I like to sit on collected stuff of size at least 12 mths before working it, up to about good mth to 6 weeks ago it started to loose its foliage pretty quick over a few days.... I can only put it down to some deep waterings missed as it sits in the back blocks as I was on a few 12hr work shifts and I remember some very hot days then....so my reaction was to deep water very hard for week at the time and then ease back off to regular waterings,,, then luckily about a good week or so ago the tree popped,,,very lucky indeed so far :fc:

My thinking for this plan and just about start, now on hold is to remove the two thicker branch/trunks or jin them as the back one is more pliable for to adjust a slight bend per image, the first image is my preferred side with the little wiggle (change of direction I like) as marked and the main trunk from the ground has a handy little wobble and I can thank the vermin for the injury which I don t mind and with tlt of whole tree per drawing.,,,,The foliage and smaller trunks holding canopy per drawing....of course this is my direction if I get close a real bonus...

cheers Guys
phpo6OAYuAM.jpg
php9G4V3IAM.jpg
Last edited by anthonyW on January 10th, 2019, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I look forward to seeing it develop, Anthony! Good find. :)
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

cheers Mel...as you can see, just in this latest shot the growth has poured on from a few days ago from the other images, the growth is constantly being rubbed out on the other two to push to other parts and the main trunk.

cheers Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Here is another method in finding a design, I was lucky enough to find this sandpaper fig germinate in my yard, bring a piece in and this will pop up I was told, somewhat off species topic but design inspiration is our game.

So here is our piece, classic one trunk dividing to two with the standard V shape...lucky it popped, but looks pretty damn ordinary doesn t it?...or does it?

Okay looking..staring...looking......staring.......thinking.....no bloody is sketch working here :palm: lol..... okay lets change hats, images....bingo straight in front of me with the two main bones and little nebari sitting just under surface to suit, Mikes (Treemans Avatar on the forum) with its beautiful silhouette, now my little guy can hatch and go forward with inspiration from Mikes beauty.

One must really just look up :) ... another simple way for inspiration....there you go guys hope there was something for everybody in couple ways to find your little tree....cheers Anthony
phpcMDb9IPM.jpg
phppcntbfPM.jpg
phpNyQfJXPM.jpg
phpQtyhYpPM.jpg
Now ready to select our next branching..
Last edited by anthonyW on January 11th, 2019, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”