Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Rescued callistemon

Post by Ryszil »

Morning all,

I dug up this callistemon on site the other day. I realise it isn't the best time of year to dig but it would have been gone before the end of the day. Sadly I think a lot died before I got there. Hopefully this one will survive, I've been studying Pup's thread. It lost a few more roots than I wanted but I soaked it in seasol for around 2 days then potted up with quite a bit of well rotted compost mixed in. I'm pretty happy with the flare and flow of the trunk and I like how the leaves form. Still considering how to style but I can see several options. Any input here is welcome, at this stage should I give it a hard prune, just thin the top of leave it completely? The only thing I have done with the branches is take some for cuttings.
190310_1.jpeg
Definately too tall but I'm wondering if it's had enough punishment for one year. The thick bit where it branches off is pretty straight
190310_2.jpeg
190310_3.jpeg
The way the leaves bunch reminds me of how a JBP grows to a degree.

Gonna spend the rest of the day pondering this one while I knock of some chores around the house. Thanks guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Rescued callistemon

Post by Watto »

If it were mine I wouldn't touch it for 18 to 24 months. I would just let it grow, and even if it does shed for foliage I wouldn't do anything except water, and after 6 months for fertilizer.
That would be my method, however others may have other ideas.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Sorry Ryszil but I would never put a new collected tree into a small bonsai po5. Too much chance of it getting a bit dry one day. A larger pot will give a better chance :imo:
Otherwise leave it as Watto has advised and hope.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Maybe since it's in the small pot now you can sit it in a tray of water to make sure it doesn't dry out? Otherwise leave it be for a year or so
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryszil »

Thank you once again Shibui. The pot was just something I had on hand that had room for roots to grow, when I said it lost more roots than I would have liked I meant in the extraction of the tree, I didnt do it myself I asked a guy who was working as a spotter for an excavator if the tree was going. He had it dug out for me by the time I got my car down, I cut very little to get it into the pot, there is still room for it to grow but I must admit, I didn't think about the drying out factor.

A bit off topic but this guy below has is absolutely flourishing, in terms of pot size vs root area ratio I would say the callistemon has a lot more room. Sorry not trying to be argumentative I genuinely want to learn and for it to survive.
190310_1.jpeg
If it is ok to ask about this tree in this thread I will. I have no intention of doing anything with it for quite some time but I am worried about the jin. Should I protect it with something? I have started reading about jins but I REALLY REALLY dont want to get this one wrong.

* edit It might also be worth noting, or I could be clutching at straws, but the callistemon was not dug from the wild. It was taken from a retirement village where a carpark was being extended. I am fairly certain it is nursery stock that has been in the ground for a while. There was certainly no tap root or anything like that. Fingers crossed :fc: maybe it will be ok*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ryszil on March 10th, 2019, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryszil »

Sorry Mel, been meaning to say thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll give it a go or at least start looking for a tray that will fit the pot. So far so good, nothing has dried out and today was pretty warm.

Return to “Callistemon”