Collected Radiata Pine

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Collected Radiata Pine

Post by Mitch_28 »

I collected this pine a couple of weeks or so ago and some needles are yellowing. I expect some die back I guess due to not getting whole root system but can I do something to help it hopefully survive? More water, less water, sun, shade? Any suggestions? Cheers Mitch, Wollongong Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Collected Radiata Pine

Post by juan73870 »

Did you take a good amount of remaining soil with it? Or did you wash all the soil off the roots and repot it in fresh stuff?
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Mitch,

I’ve collected a couple of radiatas and the success rate was better with those that had a decent amount of rootball collected with the tree. Also, trees collected from dry hard soil had a higher mortality rate.
I’d be keeping your tree out of the wind and not too much direct sun other than in the morning. Wind dries out trees really quickly even when it’s not hot. Regular misting helps too, a clue of times a day if you can. Seasol will help stimulate the roots.
Like you said, you’d expect to lose some needles, especially older ones so don’t panic yet. Good luck!

Matt.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mitch,
I've collected several pinus radiata over the last 4 years and they have all lived and are doing well. Some didn't have many roots because the main root went straight down and I had to cut that to collect the tree.
2017.06.01 03e.JPG
I don't know what you have planned for your pine, but I would advise to do a big chop, leaving only the lowest branch. I've done that to a couple of mine and they put on a lot of growth and actually back-budded on the bare trunk below that and have better taper, maybe because it was still such a young tree.
2017.06.01 03e.JPG
They are very flexible in the first few years and even the thicker trunks can be persuaded to bend with a clamp. I pinch out the extra buds when they start to get a bit larger to have only one branch growing from each node. Mine still have long needles because they are still in the developing stage, but I've noticed that when I've cut a candle to get a shorter internode the needles are shorter also, very similar to a JBP.
Good luck with yours,
Frank.
p.s. sorry, one of the pics doubled up. :lost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitch_28 »

Good Intel @Raging Bull thanks,
Would you recommend hard cutting now then so the root mass doesn't have as much growth to sustain? I don't have a real direction for it yet, just want it to survive. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it makes it.

Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitch_28 »

@juan73870 I managed to get and keep a little bit but not heaps. I collected after heaps of rain but it was growing in really poor soil and on rocks. Hopefully it's enough.

Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitch_28 »

Matt S wrote:Hi Mitch,

I’ve collected a couple of radiatas and the success rate was better with those that had a decent amount of rootball collected with the tree. Also, trees collected from dry hard soil had a higher mortality rate.
I’d be keeping your tree out of the wind and not too much direct sun other than in the morning. Wind dries out trees really quickly even when it’s not hot. Regular misting helps too, a clue of times a day if you can. Seasol will help stimulate the roots.
Like you said, you’d expect to lose some needles, especially older ones so don’t panic yet. Good luck!

Matt.
Thanks Matt, the soil was poor and not a lot of root mass collected but hoping it will scrape through. I'll keep up the misting and seasol and hope for the best. Image

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mitch, if it was my tree I would cut it back to the first branch. As you said, that would be less foliage to support for the remaining roots. If you have a trunk bending clamp you could put that on as well as you have a long straight trunk.Here's a pic of the above chopped tree 7 months later.
2018.11.06 e.JPG
And another of the same tree a year later with some bends and more growth.
2019.09.15 01e.JPG
Keep it well watered in a free draining mix and in full sun with slow release Osmocote pellets as well as a regular dose of Powerfeed or similar and it should do well, There is still some mild weather now for you in the 'Gong before winter reduces the growth rate.
Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitch_28 »

Thanks for the info and pics Frank!
Awesome, I'm thinking it's about to get the chop

treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

If you want to turn this into a bonsai, consider layering under the main whorl of strong branches next year after it is well established to make a multi trucked tree. Other than that.....
Mike
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitch_28 »

treeman wrote:If you want to turn this into a bonsai, consider layering under the main whorl of strong branches next year after it is well established to make a multi trucked tree. Other than that.....
Hi treeman, can you explain this to me, as a novice to horticulture I'm not sure what you mean. Is this after I've cut down to the first branch now and left it for a year to strengthen?

treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Mitch_28 wrote: March 24th, 2020, 1:26 pm
treeman wrote:If you want to turn this into a bonsai, consider layering under the main whorl of strong branches next year after it is well established to make a multi trucked tree. Other than that.....
Hi treeman, can you explain this to me, as a novice to horticulture I'm not sure what you mean. Is this after I've cut down to the first branch now and left it for a year to strengthen?

What I man is, after it's established for a year, you can aerial layer it under the group of branches just above the yellow needles. Wrap a tight wire a few mm below where the branches meet and wrap it in moss and plastic. It should put out roots quite easily. Then you can cut it off and pot the clump up and train it as a unique multi trunk style tree. It takes time but the result would be interesting. If you want it to develop quickly, wire some shape into the trunks then plant it in the ground for a few years cutting the roots every year or two. This way you can have trunks up to 30 -50 mm after maybe 5 years or so. If you really want to fancy, you might be able to graft black pine branches onto it. (I'm not sure if they are compatible with radiata though) You can still use the lower part if there is a branch to cut to. There is plenty of info on layering on this forum.
Mike
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitch_28 »

Thanks @treeman
Sounds like another good option, can this be done with most species of plants?
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitch_28 »

So this one didn't make it. Was dug in march. Didn't initially get a heap of root mass. Was out of the wind and kept moist. Misted needle's often but not every day.
Would now be a better time to dig pines? My thinking being coming into growing season they would be more inclined to throw out roots than in Autumn.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks for the update Mitch, just as important to hear about failure as success I reckon.
As for your question in relation to the timing of collection for Radiata, I've never done it so I have nothing to add/suggest really sorry ... but would be interested to hear from those that have too.
:beer:

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”