'Big Blue' Mirai video

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: 'Big Blue' Mirai video

Post by treeman »

nathan987 post_id=278210 time=1589548182 user_id=4831]

I think that it is easy to criticise and say that this tree is lazy and obvious and anyone could do it. If that was the case, we would all have award-winning, Instagram-worthy, internationally-celebrated trees (and I accept that many aren’t aiming for this, but you get the point).
You only get ''internationally celebrated trees'' by having an internationally celebrated reputation and exposure and it has nothing to do with quality. Who gets more instagram entries, Keith Jarret or Madonna? There are many trees in this country of that or better quality that no one would know or care about because they were not made by Ryan et al.
But, you don’t have to rubbish those for whom the current trends appeal in order to say ‘I have a different aesthetic’.
No one is rubbishing Ryan personally because he chose to style the tree like this. They are expressing their dislike for that style.
But if you are going to drivel on incessantly with pretentious crap, you're fair game I reckon. Especially in Australia were we tend to see through this kind of thing from a mile off.
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Mike, you are without a doubt Spock from Star Trek.
I adore your logic. :worship:

GavinG is definitely Bones McCoy. Self explanatory!

I think I’m Sulu

Boom64 is Scotty

And Neil would be Kirk.

...... and KIRKY, you’re Uhura. Which means at some point you got it on with Neil.... oooooo
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Rory wrote: May 16th, 2020, 12:42 pm Mike, you are without a doubt Spock from Star Trek.

I think I’m Sulu

Boom64 is Scotty

And Neil would be Kirk.

...... and KIRKY, you’re Uhura. Which means at some point you got it on with Neil.... oooooo
Set a course for the Mirai nebula. Shields up!
Mike
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

treeman wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:42 am You only get ''internationally celebrated trees'' by having an internationally celebrated reputation and exposure and it has nothing to do with quality.
It would be interesting to see a show of hands from those who openly criticize "the green helmet" form (less than 10 I count on this thread), how many have actually visited Japan to see the quality first-hand, before making judgement? :lost:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I have been to japan and seen the green helmets. They are pleasing enough sure, in fact there are many pines I actually quite like done in this style. Bjorn did one I’ll try to find a photo of that I very much liked the final product of.

What I object to is it being this styling ‘cure-all’ that every tree regardless of species gets styled with. Ryan also has a California Redwood stump done in this same style. Like anything; you see it once it’s amazing, you see it twice it’s cool, you see it 100 times and you’re ready for a change.

That’s where I’m coming from. The difference between dismissing the whole style, and questioning the need to use it so widely across virtually all species.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Ok WRCMAD, I take it you have been to Japan. What difference does it make to visit Japan to see the trees first hand? You have posted this question before, on similar discussions. I don’t need to go on a cruise to know I would hate every living second of it!..... even before covid19.
The discussion as I see it here is the bottom of the tree does NOT match the top. You have a rough, rugged beautiful weather beaten tree and you create a pretty manicured top for it. Do we have a yawn emoji? we should. Do I need to go to Japan and say it doesn’t go together? No I don’t, and neither does anyone else.
And yes I have.... So, been there, done that, still don’t like the green helmet trees. Going back to Japan to see the green helmets in person would be a waste of time. Just like this is a waste of ruggedly beautiful piece of material. :imo:
Love it or hate it, I personally really, really dislike it. :imo:
Perhaps in years to come if the tree starts shouting and stops talking, it will be treated differently. Or in the hands of someone with a bit of bold vision not guided by “ fashion” only time will tell.
Oh and I’ve been to Japan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

KIRKY wrote: May 16th, 2020, 4:25 pm You have posted this question before, on similar discussions.
Mate this whole topic has been done numerous times before.
KIRKY wrote: May 16th, 2020, 4:25 pm What difference does it make to visit Japan to see the trees first hand?
Just curious, that's all. ;)
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

As a general rule of thumb I don't get involved in these types of discussion, but I will slightly bend my golden rule.
In my opinion I think Ryan did some really good work on this tree. It is by no means a "finished product" but the bones are now set. I see the tree moving from left to right (with the wind if you like) and the foliage mass is less on the left and greater on the right. Not by much at this stage but I would envisage the right side mass would be lengthened over time. The dropping branch on the right "mirrors" the dead branch below it and adds to the directional dynamics of the tree. In a short period of time this will look not so manicured and although the foliage is quite sparce at the moment it will fill out soon. Yep, all in all not too bad.
As long as we keep these discussion civil there is room for many opinions.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

And just for some interest here is a video of Kimura's garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLLdiLweUc&t=182s
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

I watched the video.

Deep down I’m concerned he is having an affair with the tree -
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Rory wrote: May 16th, 2020, 12:42 pm Mike, you are without a doubt Spock from Star Trek.

I think I’m Sulu

Boom64 is Scotty

And Neil would be Kirk.

Chaq raD
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

by Watto » Today, 5:22 pm

As a general rule of thumb I don't get involved in these types of discussion, but I will slightly bend my golden rule.
In my opinion I think Ryan did some really good work on this tree. It is by no means a "finished product" but the bones are now set. I see the tree moving from left to right (with the wind if you like) and the foliage mass is less on the left and greater on the right. Not by much at this stage but I would envisage the right side mass would be lengthened over time. The dropping branch on the right "mirrors" the dead branch below it and adds to the directional dynamics of the tree. In a short period of time this will look not so manicured and although the foliage is quite sparce at the moment it will fill out soon. Yep, all in all not too bad.
Always good to see some good old common sense in a discussion like this. Thanks Watto.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

[Watto post_id=278239 time=1589613776 user_id=619]
It is by no means a "finished product" but the bones are now set.
Yes and it's all down hill from here.
I see the tree moving from left to right (with the wind if you like) and the foliage mass is less on the left and greater on the right
The tree (live part) is not moving from left to right. It is going straight up. (However the apex has a very slight movement to the left) Going by the dead branches, it should be moving to the left.
I would envisage the right side mass would be lengthened over time.
That would be a mistake IMO. It should be reduced to almost nothing and the left should be encouraged to grow in a manner which reflects the deadwood. Sweeping and drooping branches amongst twisted, tortured dead branches makes no sense. Look at the dead branches on the upper right.
Some are going up! What possible explanation would there be for branches on a tree to suddenly all start conforming to the ''graceful down-swept'' style?
Branches like that develop in an old tree due to their weight and the fact the tree is growing in a very protected area.
No, all in all, a very conventional, robotic, formulaic, unconsidered effort.
The whole trouble here is that we are telling the trees what they should be rather than considering what they COULD be. The tree may have spoken to Ryan but he didn't hear what it had to say.
Do I need to say it?....Ok ... :imo:
bigblue.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Watto wrote: May 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm As a general rule of thumb I don't get involved in these types of discussion, but I will slightly bend my golden rule.
Watto is clearly a Klingon. Target phasers. Fire!

Well said reply Mike..... or should I say .... you green blooded alien.

Please stop posting that tree Mike. It’s offensive to my eyes. :palm:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I don't understand what Rory is saying, maybe its because I watch Gardening Australia and not Dr Who?

Return to “Evergreen”