baby Jacaranda

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

baby Jacaranda

Post by paul smedley »

Hello.

i have grown 2 Jacaranda from seed this year. one is looking great with a lean (15cm from pot bottom to crown) and the second is growing straight (12cm). My question is to do with whether i should start to do something with them now (Winter/spring) or just leave them. I am inclined to put them into a training pot form a very early age when it is warmer to keep them wee or to pot them up into general pots and grow them. I think i want to keep them quite small ie Shohin size) or is that just silly?
jacaranda 3.jpeg
jacaranda 1.jpeg
Cheers P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: baby Jacaranda

Post by melbrackstone »

Put a bit of shape into them with wire now, and pot them up into a slightly bigger pot next Spring, I reckon. Even sit those pots onto the soil or other pots to let the roots escape and give you better growth. Once they're growing strongly, you can confidently cut them back each year to keep them shorter, but will be giving them a chance to grow thicker trunks.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by paul smedley »

melbrackstone wrote: May 20th, 2020, 1:51 pm Put a bit of shape into them with wire now, and pot them up into a slightly bigger pot next Spring, I reckon. Even sit those pots onto the soil or other pots to let the roots escape and give you better growth. Once they're growing strongly, you can confidently cut them back each year to keep them shorter, but will be giving them a chance to grow thicker trunks.
Thanks MBS
I didn't think of putting them on top of potting mix. They are currently still in the original seed raising mix so should i take them out of that or just plonk them on like they are? Will certainly think of training them now too.
Cheers P
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

The seed raising mix will be ok until you repot in Spring. Then I'd rearrange the roots to a more radial pattern, cut them shorter with very sharp implements, and put them into a mix with some inorganics in it. Stone, sand, pumice, zeolite, etc...so it drains well. I've found Jacaranda very tough, and able to cope with quite severe root pruning and top pruning, but would wait til it starts warming up again before doing anything. Just keep them warm and give them a bit of water over the Winter. They droop when they are too dry, so you can't miss when they're starting to dehydrate...

New shoots through the Summer tend to be very straight and long, and they grow fast, so any time you put wire on, check it weekly....I cut mine back a couple of times a year...
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by paul smedley »

melbrackstone wrote: May 20th, 2020, 2:27 pm The seed raising mix will be ok until you repot in Spring. Then I'd rearrange the roots to a more radial pattern, cut them shorter with very sharp implements, and put them into a mix with some inorganics in it. Stone, sand, pumice, zeolite, etc...so it drains well. I've found Jacaranda very tough, and able to cope with quite severe root pruning and top pruning, but would wait til it starts warming up again before doing anything. Just keep them warm and give them a bit of water over the Winter. They droop when they are too dry, so you can't miss when they're starting to dehydrate...

New shoots through the Summer tend to be very straight and long, and they grow fast, so any time you put wire on, check it weekly....I cut mine back a couple of times a year...
Awesome.
They will get some care tomorrow then and be up and ready for me in spring!
Thanks MBS. P
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Paul,
I had something similar a few years back - here’s the thread - and there are a few tips from others there too. Enjoy your jacarandas- I am finding mine fun.
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.out ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by paul smedley »

MJL wrote: May 20th, 2020, 4:32 pm Hey Paul,
I had something similar a few years back - here’s the thread - and there are a few tips from others there too. Enjoy your jacarandas- I am finding mine fun.
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.out ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks MJL.
Funnily enough i have already bookmarked that fo ruse when these little guys get bigger! I have wired and put them on another pot of mix and in the greenhouse. now just to keep them alive to be as big as yours.
IMG_2253.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”