pyrus navalis (snow Pear) and Manchurian Pear

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

pyrus navalis (snow Pear) and Manchurian Pear

Post by PWC »

I have the opportunity to buy some advanced specimens at reduced prices of pyrus navalis (snow Pear) and Manchurian Pear. I have no experience with either and not sure if they are worth the time and effort.

Any advice or would be appreciated.
Peter.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: pyrus navalis (snow Pear) and Manchurian Pear

Post by Watto »

Manchurian pear can make good bonsai, but will depend on if they are grafted or not.
I don't know anything about snow pear.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

Thanks Watto, so avoid grafted stock in all cases?
Peter.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Here is what Pyrus nivalis looks like after a few years in the ground. It has a natural "candelabra broom" shape.
20190627_163400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Almost all commercial source pears will be grafted. Rootstock P. calleryana D6 is very widely used in Australia.

Grafts can stand out on the trunk of a bonsai. If rootstock has different bark from the top there may be 2 different colours or textures. Sometimes one part will thicken faster than the other leaving unsightly bulge. Initially there will often be an odd bend where stock and scion meet which may disappear over time or may bulge even more as it grows.
For all these reasons grafted trees are usually avoided but sometimes you can come across good grafted trees for bonsai. Make assessment on each individual case.

I find pears frustrating. Growth tends to be thick and long internodes which makes nice ramification difficult. I think Bodhidarma has posted some better pear bonsai though?
Manchurian pear has really small round fruit after flowering. They would suit bonsai very well if you could make a good tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

Thanks to Watto, Terry B and Shibui for your replies. After considering the graft issue I went back and had a look at the available stock. Both the pyrus navalis and manchurian pear had grafts that were not conducive to good bonsai, there was an ornamental pear that seemed to have a good transition so I purchased this one. The base is 6 cm, while it does not have a lot of taper I hope to trunk chop it and get the taper and movement with a new leader and repeat again after that.
IMG_1220.PNG
IMG_1221.PNG[/attachment I thought I could air layer the top as a potential raft style and use the base as well after the layer was removed. Hoping that it will layer easily :fc: [attachment=2]IMG_1222.PNG
]

I found that I could only load the pics after reducing the file size to less than 500 kb, at between 500 and 800 they would not give the option to place in line, only the delete option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Pears are good, except maybe the Manchurian. Nivalis has possibilities. I grafted some last year. The small leaved Korean pear (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pyrus+korean+ ... iax=images) should be even better. I grated a few of these too. I have mature nivalis and ''Korean sun'' in my garden and I graft onto their seedlings. Bark starts to appear after a few short years and they hold their small fruit well too.
Mike
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

I have made the first cut, there are a couple of options for a new leader. I left a shoot grow from below the graft and prefer the shape and autumn color to those of the graft. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should try to develop the tree from the root stock.
shibui wrote: June 28th, 2019, 1:37 am y shibui » June 28th, 2019, 1:37 am

Almost all commercial source pears will be grafted. Rootstock P. calleryana D6 is very widely used in Australia.

If the root stock is P. calleryana D6 would it be more suitable than the ornamental pear? I realize that neither are probably ideal.
IMG_1819 (Large).JPG
Peter.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I find that both are equally difficult to tame.
D6 develops spikes on the branches and can be more painful to work with.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Interesting thread...Is it right in say that any seed grown from a grafted plant will grow as per the root stock? If so I may be growing the D6 or similar as it does have spikes on it.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

The air layers failed, no big deal it was just a trial for experience.
IMG_2106 (Large).PNG
However I now have some roots from a major root prune over a month ago to play with. This was purely an accident, I had thrown the root mass into the compost and a month later noticed some shoots emerging.
IMG_2101 (Large).JPG
As they are larger than most of my sticks/twigs in pots I thought why not see what I can do with them. As Neil advised
shibui wrote: June 28th, 2019, 1:37 am Almost all commercial source pears will be grafted. Rootstock P. calleryana D6 is very widely used in Australia.
I don't expect much but nothing to lose. I liked the leaf shape and the autumn colour, Maybe some potential as broom style, the internode spacing could be a problem though.
Peter.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

matlea wrote: May 29th, 2020, 9:55 pm Interesting thread...Is it right in say that any seed grown from a grafted plant will grow as per the root stock? If so I may be growing the D6 or similar as it does have spikes on it.
No. The seed producing part will be the scion that is grafted to the rootstock. That said, the seed will not be the same genetically as the scion especially since I think most pears require cross pollination (from another tree). The only way to get an identical plant is by vegetative propagation (cuttings, layering, tissue culture). Your seedling will be unique.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Terryb, Thanks for the clarification.

PWC. Assuming I have an ornamental pear (grown from seed from a street tree in Melbourne) I’ve found these to be some of the easiest to grow from cuttings or root cuttings. Leaf colour is good, just have to work on the ramification which I’m only in the early stages of.

Good luck with yours and keep us all updated on the progress.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers

Post by robb63 »

I am growing one Manchurian pear in a bonsai pot in Sydney, so similar temps to yours.
They are difficult to tame and not easy to look after here.
A bit dry and the leaves blacken at edges, too wet they do the same.
A few hot days and if its not shaded heavily the leaves burn as well.
I have now found a corner where its constant shade from spring to autumn and its a "bit" happier.
Try to protect it from heat and direct sun then you get to enjoy good leaf colour late autumn/ winter.
good luck
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

Thanks, Matlea and Robb63 for your replies. Initially I picked up the tree to trial trunk chops on larger material to build taper, not to concerned about the overall result. It gives me a chance to see how trunk heals and transitions to the new leader. It's pretty much my crash test dummy.

I'm hoping the roots of the root stock may be less vigorous as I prefer the leaf than that of the grafted pear. The shoot from below the graft last year was not not as vigorous as those above. I't will be interesting to see how the root cuttings develop.
Peter.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”