willow myrtle

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

willow myrtle

Post by nozila »

Hi all,
There is an opportunity for me to collect a willow myrtle. I just want to know if anyone has any experience in either air layer them or digging them out? And do they make good bonsai's?
Thanks,
Duc
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: willow myrtle

Post by shibui »

Common names are sometimes misleading. Same plant can be called different names in different places.
Assuming willow myrtle is Agonis flexuosa.
They do make good bonsai. One has just won the NBPCA prize for native bonsai.
They are generally root pruned in spring or early summer. Many natives do not recover well in cold weather. If you are in a warmer area it might be OK to dig now but in cooler areas I would wait if possible.

The world is a big place with lots of different climates. A location in your profile would really help to get advice suited to your specific location.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nozila »

Hi Shibui,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, its the Agonis flexuosa. I might tell the owner if I can dig it out come spring - she isnt in a rush to get rid of it. There is two and one is ridiculously old so I wonder if air layer would work.
Profile has also been edited.
Thanks again,
Duc
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Adelaide is a touch warmer so you can probably get away with transplant a bit earlier than over here.

There are 3 threads in the agonis section here but unfortunately no real helpful hints on timing or growing. I think they sprout buds on bare wood but to be safe I would start by pruning back to leaves where possible.

These grow pretty easy as cuttings so layering should be pretty straight forward.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

From my experience they definitly do bud on bare wood. I would maybe give it a month or two after potting before doing any major work, though, as I've noticed they tend to sulk for a little while after rootwork. Apart from that, they seem really hardy and good to work with. In Adelaide they are one of the most common street trees around and you can see how amazing the bark on the old ones can look. Good luck with it, would love to see some pics once you get it :)
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nozila »

Thanks for the advice all. I will get some pics of the two trees on offer. She a lemon tree and an apricot (which Im trying to convince her to let me have) and a few others which I might see if you guys can identify. But Im just figuring out how I am going to dig them out atm as its rather big.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”