crepe myrtle dig

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: crepe myrtle dig

Post by kcpoole »

nozila wrote: July 4th, 2020, 1:43 pm so I got the murrayas out. Also got 2 freebies - a crypt Myrtle (she actually did have one) and an apricot stump (would have been a tree but trunk was too long). any idea where I should cut the branches on the murrayas and could the apricot stump eventuate into a pre bonsai?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
re the Murrayas and where to cut, look where the straight sections are and branches.
Cut back to an existing Branch to achieve taper and movement in them as they take ages to put on girth so use what you can
The one on the left. keep the long large trunk, cut back to smaller branch so you get taper. Once it reshoots, build branching by wiring out from the trunk as they want to head upward.

The one on the right keep as a twin trunk with one trunk shorter than the other.
when you chop, Leave a little stump initailly longer, and then trim back flat and clean up after they reshoot.

they will readily shoot on old wood so you can get new branches and wire in the first year to set them in shape, once lignified they are hard as nails and you just cannot bend them.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by nozila »

kcpoole wrote:
nozila wrote: July 4th, 2020, 1:43 pm so I got the murrayas out. Also got 2 freebies - a crypt Myrtle (she actually did have one) and an apricot stump (would have been a tree but trunk was too long). any idea where I should cut the branches on the murrayas and could the apricot stump eventuate into a pre bonsai?

re the Murrayas and where to cut, look where the straight sections are and branches.
Cut back to an existing Branch to achieve taper and movement in them as they take ages to put on girth so use what you can
The one on the left. keep the long large trunk, cut back to smaller branch so you get taper. Once it reshoots, build branching by wiring out from the trunk as they want to head upward.

The one on the right keep as a twin trunk with one trunk shorter than the other.
when you chop, Leave a little stump initailly longer, and then trim back flat and clean up after they reshoot.

they will readily shoot on old wood so you can get new branches and wire in the first year to set them in shape, once lignified they are hard as nails and you just cannot bend them.

Ken
Thank you

BlamJams
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maleleuca

Post by BlamJams »

I'm not seeing a crepe myrtle in there. That tall skinny thing doesn't look like any CM that I've seen, but I could be mistaken. Looks like a seedling plum to me.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

BlamJams wrote: July 5th, 2020, 1:16 pm I'm not seeing a crepe myrtle in there. That tall skinny thing doesn't look like any CM that I've seen, but I could be mistaken. Looks like a seedling plum to me.
Yes I'm thinking prunus for that one, looks like the wrong colour and texture for crepe myrtle
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Are you sure that straight stick is a crepe myrtle? Bark looks wrong to be more plum or cherry but more plum I think.
Good luck with them.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nozila »

I could be wrong as well - the landscaper would help me did it out said it was. However crepe myrtle or not, how far back should I cut it? The guy chopped it there for me.Image

KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Personally I’d wait and see what you’ve got then decide where to cut and what style.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Not sure about that landscaper. Definitely not a plant person :roll:

It has plenty of nodes still visible on the trunk and that usually indicates ability to sprout new shoots.
I would cut at least half of the current height.
It is good to wait and see what shoots emerge but on longer trunks the shoots tend to sprout from the top 2/3 which will be of limited use for bonsai on such a tall trunk :imo:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nozila »

Lol same landscaper who told the seller the murraya was a Myrtle. Anyways, I agree. It so long and I think a chop clearly needs to be made just not sure if close to the base or a tad higher.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”