[A Forest Tale] Matt S – Callitris Canyon

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: [A Forest Tale] Matt S – Callitris Canyon

Post by Matt S »

Well this didn't go according to plan.

In the weeks that followed the initial planting I lost four of the trees, and a fifth is only just hanging on. I'm guessing it was due to me being too rough with the roots plus a timing issue, but whatever the reason I now have a slightly smaller forest. The remaining trees are now showing new growth with lots of shoots lower down the trunks, so that's a plus.
canyon 25Jul20.jpg

I left the dead trees in place and just broke them off above ground level, and I had a single leftover tree that I had planted in a small pot so that went in today to replace those that have gone top meet their makers. I may hunt down some more seeds <cough terryb> and plant a few more replacements directly into this forest, but we'll see how the trees look after some growth.
canyon 25Jul20 cleanup.jpg

The moss has grown well, so that's another plus. I'll start fertilising now but I won't even think of pruning until these survivors are growing strongly. My plan is to let the two main primary trees grow unheeded and lightly trim the others to keep them more restrained.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Matt S wrote: July 25th, 2020, 5:08 pm ...I may hunt down some more seeds <cough terryb> and plant a few more replacements directly into this forest, but we'll see how the trees look after some growth.
That's a pretty cool concept, and probably something you wouldn't really consider unless you lost a few so sometimes interesting ideas come from unexpected events. Nice.
I'm sure terryb is up for it! ;)
:beer:
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Interesting that the dead ones are on the edges. Did you have to remove more roots on these to get them into those locations? I have a couple that need to be repotted this year, so I'm going to be learning how much I can take off as well.
Ryceman3 wrote: July 25th, 2020, 5:15 pm
Matt S wrote: July 25th, 2020, 5:08 pm ...I may hunt down some more seeds <cough terryb> and plant a few more replacements directly into this forest, but we'll see how the trees look after some growth.
That's a pretty cool concept, and probably something you wouldn't really consider unless you lost a few so sometimes interesting ideas come from unexpected events. Nice.
Might have to bring one of mine around for comparison. If they look the same, getting some more seed should be no problem.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

Interesting that the dead ones are on the edges. Did you have to remove more roots on these to get them into those locations?
That’s probably what happened. Squeezing them into the back corner meant more roots were removed.

I’m also thinking that having a few dead branches or some foliage on the ground makes sense, but I’m not sure how to do it without making it look like a model railway, if you know what I mean.

Matt.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[A Forest Tale] Matt S – Callitris Canyon

Post by matlea »

So far with my limited experience is repotting gets easier once they develop a lot more fibrous roots. My early trials of lifting from the ground after ground growing or growing in a seed tray with roots escaping were a bit hit and miss.... more miss than hit. So far I have had better success growing in pots in a pumice and bark mix right from the start... more fibrous roots.

One thing that was interesting was a seedling I have going ( about 2cm high) that had its base eaten by a slug essentially cutting it at the soil level. With nothing to lose I stuck it back into the soil and it continues to grow even though it was cut in half. I assume this is a bit like the method of chopping black pine seedlings for better roots.
I haven’t tried to repeat this process but will do so when I plant some more seeds this year. I have been repotting after summer / early autumn when the plants have another push of growth and the temperatures are not too hot. I haven’t had good results with summer repotting as it appears they cannot get enough water to the foliage and the foliage dries out...or maybe that’s just me?!

Good luck with the forest!
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

Thanks for your thoughts matlea. Not keeping the water up for the first few weeks may have been the issue. I’m still in the mindset of repotting exotics where I keep trees on the slightly drier side afterwards to encourage root growth.

Matt.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

No probs. I've got a small one I've still got to lift from the ground so I'm going to try this in a couple of weeks and but it in a makeshift green house...plastic bag to keep humidity up. See how I go.
Keep the updates coming as I'm sure we are all keen to learn from your experiences.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by terryb »

matlea wrote: July 26th, 2020, 3:43 pm So far with my limited experience is repotting gets easier once they develop a lot more fibrous roots. My early trials of lifting from the ground after ground growing or growing in a seed tray with roots escaping were a bit hit and miss.... more miss than hit. Image So far I have had better success growing in pots in a pumice and bark mix right from the start... more fibrous roots.
Hey Matlea or MattS, do you normally remove much foliage when repotting to balance the root removal?
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Matt ,bad luck about loosing some trees ,i can relate to this as one of my forests is now a small stand. :palm: Looks like you have plenty of branches to work with . Nice bonus . Cheers John.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Hi terryb,
The most recent repots were a couple of groups grown in pots- pumice mix. These are about 80cm high with the aim to keep growing on to thicken trunks and then chop them back.

I repotted these in mid March and didn't remove foliage but did remove about 1/4 to a 1/3 of roots. These were all the roots at the bottom of the pot. Didn't trim any of the upper roots. Trees are still alive.

All of the Callitris I have are grown from seed and still in development. Hopefully repotting gets easier in time for these!

I have tried removing foliage when lifting the ones from the ground but have had mixed results. These typically had fewer roots, particularly fewer fine feeder roots.

The next one I'm going to lift from the ground I will try chopping some foliage and put in a 'greenhouse' fingers crossed.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Thanks for the update Matt and sorry to hear you’ve lost a few trees. That said, I am enjoying the conversation that has ensued and I reckon that is part of the value of these comps - the group learning that takes place.
I am appreciating all the input, advice and ideas. Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote: July 25th, 2020, 5:15 pm
Hey Matt S, got you a present.
20200913_190451.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

I’m guessing they’re not fruchocs?
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by terryb »

Matt S wrote: September 13th, 2020, 9:02 pm I’m guessing they’re not fruchocs?
No chance of getting them if they were ;)
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

This competition continues to be instructive .... With a bit of googling - I just found out what FruChocs are! Perhaps they are a dessert to another south Australian delicacy, the pie floater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Current Contest”