Jade bonsai (fight me)

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
jehsiboi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Jade bonsai (fight me)

Post by jehsiboi »

So I bought this a year ago off a lady who was selling it cause the pot was broken. Cost me $50, and I'm pretty sure a slipped disk getting it in the car. I cut it right back probably got rid of 80% of the massive bush that it was. I took this photo cause I think its actually starting to take shape. A long time to go yet but not a bad start.

Jesse
large jade summer2019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Jade bonsai (fight me)

Post by Watto »

I don't know much about jade but that looks like it has some potential. Should grow strongly in your area so good luck with the future development.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg F
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine & juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Greg F »

Hi Jesse,
Ive been working with a few Jade for a couple years and find they need less water that all my other plants and hate frost (lost my best one to frost).
They are also fragile so care must be taked when wiring and pruning. As Watto said it should do well in your area as they like humidity.
Jade is pretty fast growing so results can be quicker than most other types.
Good luck.

Greg
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Jesse,

I don't know how well they grow in high humidity but being a South African plant they grow like the clappers in the hot dry climate we have here. Greg is right in they don't need much water but I've found that once they have a decent root system (like yours does) then keeping the soil damp over summer like your other bonsai will encourage strong growth. I haven't seen any advantage in keeping them on the dry side but that might differ with your humidity.

I do the repotting and hard pruning of Jades in summer when growth is strongest. Today is ridiculously hot so now would be a good time except the shed is too hot and there's no way I'm leaving the house until watering time.

As for your tree I'd look at cutting back those long straight sections, and I'd be doing it now (see pic). Just my opinion but in the long term it's better to remove straight taper-less sections and grow new branches with some movement, and with Jades it doesn't take long to regrow branches. Once your main branches are in place you can either grow the leaves in an open airy structure or you can constantly trim and have tight foliage pads, the choice is yours.
large jade summer2019.jpg

And if anyone wants a Jade fight, I'm up for it!

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Jade is a bush, and therefore easily a legitimate bonsai...we had two on display at the November show for Redlands, and they were very popular. (as were the cuttings for sale in the sales area!)

They're all pretty easy in Brisbane's climate, so yeah, you should do well with it.
jehsiboi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jehsiboi »

Just dropping an update on this tree. Seems to be doing fine in the new pot an is looking better. Carved the tree to make the taper a little better but not sure if that was the right thing to do? Hopefully the discoloration goes away.
jade001227.jpg
Jehsi
jehsiboi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jehsiboi »

So Ive cut the apex off this morning because the straight line of the trunk was bugging me. Then looking at it afterwards Im thinking it would improve the tree to remove the entire right branch.
20200814_101836.jpg
Inked20200814_101836_LI.jpg
Jesse
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I have a few jades, all grown from cuttings when I reduced a couple of big straggly pot plants. The original two trunks were returned to ordinary pots after root pruning. They do like to be kept moist, even though they are a succulent, but can survive with very little water if they have to. When they are deprived of water the leaves lose their plump look and shine and become slightly wrinkled with a pale green colour. Just add water and they bounce back to a healthy looking plant.
I think you've done the right thing in cutting it back hard. They back bud well and are very resilient. Once you have a good spread of secondary branches established keep pinching new growth back to a couple of leaves to make it ramify. That way you get nice dense foliage pads.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

If you take off the main branch you'll be left with a big smooth scar that will be hard to hide. But if you leave the branch then at the current angle the other main branch becomes the apex, which would look odd because thicker branches should have more foliage (that's why they become thicker).

I'd be looking at tilting the tree the other way so that the thickest branch is the leader:
jade drawing.jpg

Matt.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Matt S wrote: August 14th, 2020, 7:39 pm I'd be looking at tilting the tree the other way so that the thickest branch is the leader
That's perfect; looking back at the photos the tree looks off-balance now that I've seen this sketch.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Just looking a5t this and was about to post to tilt to the left and user the right brach as the main trunk then sa matt's image
Do that :-) use the taper in there for your trunkline

Wire the remaining branches out and good a gold for a nice tree :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

jehsiboi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jehsiboi »

SO... firstly thanks for all your comments. It hadn't occurred to me that the main branch could become the trunk for some reason. Hopefully now my eyes have been opened to similar possibilities on future trees. I put this tree on some blocks to see if I liked the new orientation, I left it like that until tonight making sure to come and look at it often to get a feel for it. I just didn't like that the movement of the trunk was one steady curve it bugged me. It looked like the letter 'C' so for better or worse I made some changes. Hopefully I can get the branch to root and then Ill have another jade bonsai.
20200815_095435.jpg
Jesse
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Getting a jade branch to strike roots is a long and complicated process:- Stick it in a pot with your favourite potting mix and water it regularly. :D
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Jades are forgiving and you have a well shaped trunk there. Suggest you smooth the edges of the cut a bit so it calluses into a hollow rather than a jutting stump. Also suggest you cut out the protruding root mass and try to develop a flat good nebari. Just remember to to water too much and you will have a number of jades to experiment on...

Return to “Evergreen”