Online Workshops and Masterclasses run by leading bonsai artists
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Anyone tried Bjorn's Bonsai U?

Post by Pat3222 »

Howdy, has anyone tried the subscription? I've got Mirai and found it to be very helpful (especially during lockdown) and wonder how this might compare? Far as I can tell it only started in January this year so not sure how much of a library would be built up? Cheers
Beech92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: 7

Re: Anyone tried Bjorn's Bonsai U?

Post by Beech92 »

Hi, I have signed on to it, yes it is light on at the moment for content, however personally I prefer Bjrons approach
To sharing his information (more direct) than Ryan, so his videos are 30 to 40mins in length as apposed to 1hr 30mins.
I can see myself cancelling the subscription for Mirai in the future once the content has built up on bonsai u.
Oh other thing to note is that the mirai website is better set out at the moment as well as so far as finding what info you are searching for.
Regards Daniel.
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pat3222 »

Thanks for the share. I've enjoyed what I've seen of his on youtube but hesitant to shell out for a small library when mirai has such a big headstart. What species does he cover so far? That's my second hesitation, I don't have any pines and 2 junipers that are in the, really, really early stages of developing. One great thing about Mirai this year has been adding a guest like Hugh Grant to give us some Aussie native content.
Cheers
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Pat3222 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 10:10 am One great thing about Mirai this year has been adding a guest like Hugh Grant to give us some Aussie native content.
There is literally YEARS worth of Aussie native content on this site alone. If you can't find what your after here by searching specific topics, you can always ask direct questions 24/7 targeted to your topic of need.
The info here is FREE & provided by many experienced growers (or guest artists?).
Not sure why you would consider paying money for Aussie native content from either American sites.
:2c:
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pat3222 »

We all learn differently then I guess. I started wiring trees less than a month ago. Watching a high quality video with someone explaining every step taken and why is pretty handy. It doesn't replace what I see here, they compliment each other. I watch the videos from the Vic Native Bonsai Club of which I'm a member for the same reason. Ditto stuff on youtube, Facebook groups and instagram. Hopefully once lockdowns are over and our one year old is less demanding of my time I'll get to attend club meetings too. I don't take any one source as gospel so the more the merrier. Cheers
Beech92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Club: 7

Post by Beech92 »

I started my bonsai journey gathering knowledge from this site, it certainly helped to a point.
But to be honest you only have to cover a couple of different topics to see the multitude of different opinions on a subject which makes it easy to confuse a beginner (me at the time).
I loved the fact I could listen and actually see the techniques being put into practice which helped things make sense for me using the online platform wether it is bonsai u or Mirai.
It saved me time and helped me avoid costly/time consuming mistakes, especially when I got serious and started paying substantial amounts of money for stock.
Of course each to their own, my suggestion sign up to the monthly subscription and see if you like it, I signed up straight to the yearly one so please makes sure that you can cancel the subscription without any added cost before you proceed through.
Regards Daniel.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

I agree with Daniel.

I have had a look at Bonsai u and I can't recommend it highly enough. Bjorn is an excellent communicator. All of his lessons are well planned and presented in a clear, logical manner. I have no pines, junipers or maples, but that is not an issue as he explains how techniques and timing can be adapted for different types of trees and different locations. I like that he emphasises the long-term production of trees. He encourages the use of modest material and explains how the dedicated application of techniques (and a couple of decades) will create spectacular trees.

Many of the lessons in Bonsai U I kind of already know - defoliation, the Ebihara techniques, wound healing etc., however little details especially on the timing of these makes a spectacular difference. A simple tip like late season fertiliser not causing bud break in many deciduous trees has changed my world.

Ausbonsai is fantastic and great fun. You can't go past Shibui's generous horticultural advice, and if want to see what what is possible for native material make sure you click on every one of the posts by Boom64 (John) and PeterH. However once you get to the certain point it is really not efficient way to learn.

I don't know about Mirai as I'm still trying to figure out what a ''bone-sai'' is ;) .
Cheers,
Symon
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I haven't bothered signing up to either Mirai or Bonsai-U as in the grand scheme of things i'm happy enough with my basic skills enough to keep trees alive and progressing slowly, and aesthetically i'm not a fan of the highly manicured look they both produce. Add in that i have zero interest whatosoever in the pines and junipers that make up the majority of what they both do and i don't get a lot of applicable value from it.

I did sign up to a bonsai empire course with Bjorn as the host, and from the free youtube videos from both mirai and bjorn I will say i find Bjorn's teaching style eminently better for me personally, i grasp his concepts much faster than i do Ryan's, but ultimately i'm content doing my thing.

I guess i liken it to my feelings on cars; i love driving cars, but i have no interest in becoming a mechanic. I love noodling around with my trees and slowly improving them, but i have no interest in learning technical skills for wiring trees i don't grow in to designs i don't particularly like.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Pokitren
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Babingtonia Virgata
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Pokitren »

delisea wrote: September 11th, 2021, 12:57 pm I agree with Daniel.

I have had a look at Bonsai u and I can't recommend it highly enough. Bjorn is an excellent communicator. All of his lessons are well planned and presented in a clear, logical manner. I have no pines, junipers or maples, but that is not an issue as he explains how techniques and timing can be adapted for different types of trees and different locations. I like that he emphasises the long-term production of trees. He encourages the use of modest material and explains how the dedicated application of techniques (and a couple of decades) will create spectacular trees.

Many of the lessons in Bonsai U I kind of already know - defoliation, the Ebihara techniques, wound healing etc., however little details especially on the timing of these makes a spectacular difference. A simple tip like late season fertiliser not causing bud break in many deciduous trees has changed my world.

Ausbonsai is fantastic and great fun. You can't go past Shibui's generous horticultural advice, and if want to see what what is possible for native material make sure you click on every one of the posts by Boom64 (John) and PeterH. However once you get to the certain point it is really not efficient way to learn.

I don't know about Mirai as I'm still trying to figure out what a ''bone-sai'' is ;).
Cheers,
Symon
To be honest, personally, all the information on this forum is enough for me. And yet some details I picked up in Bonsai U. As you said - end of season fertilization - really impressed me.

As for training or courses, my personal opinion is very simple: why not get information on the subject from wherever you can get it? Only if a particular person's cup of knowledge is no longer so full that they won't accept new information.
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

Hey there,
I tried a membership for Mirai last year for a few months, but as my life gets hectic, I had to cancel it. I am currently trying Bjorn's Bonsai U at the moment. Whilst I like Ryan and, he is extremly talented, his love of the word "nuances" can be a little cringe for me.
Bjorn is a great communicator and puts things in a way that is easy to understand. Although, he can't seem to decide if its a plant or a tree? :lost:
He also loves the words "Finneagal" and "sloth" :D
Because Mirai Live has been going for a few years longer, there is alot more content, but Bonai U has over 100 videos now I think, so its almost worth hooking either one up for the 2 week trial period, to see what you like better?

Both Ryan & Bjorn like their pines, and they're approch is slightly different in the way of ballancing energy to each other, probably due to where they appenticed.
Fun fact, at the start of one of Bjorns videos, he says "We are going to take a look at my giant european pinus" but pronounces it.........differently

I like them both, but I do like Bjorn a bit more. Although, I used to watch all of his content he used to make with Owen when he was working for Fujikawa San.
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by one_bonsai »

As someone one said about Ryan Neil; "Why use ten words when you can use fifty!"

Return to “eWorkshops”