Thuja chop choices

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Re: Thuja chop choices

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:The only thing that's really happened is that I forgot I was going to straighten the trunk :palm:.
Well, it's getting straightened now (too ugly for pictures). Joe Morgan Payler is visiting this weekend and I'm booked in for a session with him so will be taking it along
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

So, just a little while later. Joe suggested certain branch shortenings, which aligned with my philosophies (if not my actions :palm: )

The tree has continued to move around in the pot (hopefully lots of root growth) and the latest trimming before/after are below. Again, a number of sub branches went to tighten up and refine the tree. A little bit of wire was added to get the secondary and tertiary branches where I want them.

At least there's something that is starting to look like ramification happening on most branches. And the crown looks less like a bunch of sticks.
2020-04-10-thuja_pre.jpg
2020-04-10-thuja_post_3.jpg
The eagle eyed will note that I'd not trimmed off the stumps before that "after" photo. But that was a very good piece of advice from a visiting tutor: don't bother cutting back to the trunk/mainbranch as you shape. Instead leave a little stump and, once you're done, run around with the knob cutters and the cut paste. So much better than cut paste on the fly, which inevitably means getting covered in the stuff. (The split is back)

There's also a bit of "fluff" which is me leaving some bits I want to grow on a bit longer than they need to be. If this was a pre-show trim, one would trim all that back. Likewise, I've put the brace back on: the trunk isn't quiet straight enough. In another year or three....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thank you for the update. This has been an interesting progression. It is interesting to me that in the north american continent they use Thuja extensively (and call it White Cedar, and of course it is not a Cedar at all) but in Australia it is rarely used. You have shown that we should all reconsider and use it more widely.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Interesting this topic has just popped up Watty just started a stick from garden nursery centre stock, Nigel Saunders on youtube has very good take on individuals and forrests in this material
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Thanks folks. I'll certainly check out the videos: when I started the stock for this one youtube was still a twinkle in someone's eye.

The positive aspect is that they are tough as old boots and will survive drying out. The negative is that I struggle to get the foliage looking good due to the growth habit. (Did I mention I'll check out the videos?) The foliage also means that these are probably best for larger specimens (this one's about 3/4 or 4/5ths of a metre tall).

I'm sure someone who's actually caring properly (vs abandoning the tree for months on end) would get a result much faster than I have.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Must have had a rush of blood to the head: three posts in the one year!
No work done as life has been too chaotic but a few-months-post-prune shot
thuja.2020.07.01.jpg
Some wiring to be done to get the second right hand growth right but I think I'm finally happy with the structure (eight yeras on!)

Now, to get the foliage pads sorted!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

It was getting a little hairy so out with the snips.

I'm starting to get twigs but I'm also shortening the branches wherever I can to get some taper - Th. will shoot back from the base of almost every cut branch.

A few bits out of place in the "after" where I want to get more growth.

A lesson-learnt is that leaving green bits will result in more growth in that area. In this case near the bases of both (viewer's) right hand branches.
2021-01_thuja_pre.sm.jpg
2021-01.thuja_post.sm.jpg
I'm thinking I'll repot the first coolish week in March: there won't be much root removal but it's well past time I sorted out the orientation.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the update. Progression is slowly coming together.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Watto wrote: April 12th, 2020, 8:20 am Thank you for the update. This has been an interesting progression. It is interesting to me that in the north american continent they use Thuja extensively (and call it White Cedar, and of course it is not a Cedar at all) but in Australia it is rarely used. You have shown that we should all reconsider and use it more widely.
I've recently worked out that it's probably actually Thuja orientalis, which is now called "Platycladus orientalis"

More confused than ever :cry:

Practically, the key take-away over the last decade is that the trunk has not thickened one iota. So you need to treat it a bit like an olive - build the trunk in the ground or big pot, via lots of foliage. Watch for bar branches too!
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Repotted. It's always interesting how the photo doesn't match one's expectations.
Looking back over the last decade (scary but true) there's improvement but I think I need to pull down the first left and second right (viewers) branches. And the top is a bit of a mess. But better than a few years ago
2021-06-01.sm.jpg
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Another wiring session looks like it will be needed?
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Watto wrote: June 13th, 2021, 6:29 am Another wiring session looks like it will be needed?
Yes, it's interesting. It looks somehow wrong in the photo, in a way it doesn't in the flesh (ok bark). The pads are pointing up, particularly the three middle ones, which you don't read standing next to the tree.

Going to re-adjust the wiring and take lots more photos and see what I can work out :lost:
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote: June 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm Going to re-adjust the wiring and take lots more photos and see what I can work out :lost:
A few hours of wiring later (sorry about the shadows). I'll have to take it all off again in a month or two (once the spring growth arrives) but I believe it's a step in the right direction.
thujua_2021-10-03.sm.jpg
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Really enjoying the updates on this one. Love the minimal branching and that stark look. Have one myself , quite boring compared to this one.
Cheers John.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Here's the tree with a little more growth, as usual a bit shaggy at the base to counter the apical dominance.
2021-12-16_thuja.JPG
While it needs a tidy up I'm finally starting to feel happy with this on.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”