Seedlings 2021

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Seedlings 2021

Post by shibui »

As seed is hard to come by now I planted a Japanese black pine in the paddock as a seed tree. Last autumn I harvested a few cones and extracted some seed.
Sowed the seed in winter and left the tray out in the open through winter.
Seedlings emerged a bit later than expected but germination rates are OK.
IMGP5414.JPG
IMGP5415.JPG
IMGP5416.JPG
Last week I pricked some out into individual pots. Everyone will have their own 'best' way to do this but I get good results with this method.

Lift the seedlings out gently.
IMGP5417.JPG
Some already have lateral roots starting to grow
IMGP5418.JPG
IMGP5420.JPG
I cut the main root just below the best cluster of laterals so the plant puts all its energy into those side roots and into growing a few more that will form a good nebari in future.
IMGP5419.JPG
IMGP5421.JPG
Some don't have any sign of lateral roots yet so I just cut the main root anywhere.
IMGP5422.JPG
IMGP5423.JPG
Young seedlings can very quickly grow replacement roots. Chopping like this usually causes lots of lateral roots to form just above the cut.

Due to limited time and space I just potted 30 of the seedlings in that session. Still plenty more left.
IMGP5424.JPG
Timing is not critical for pricking out seedlings. I'll do more when I can make some space.

Also a tray of Japanese maple seedlings.
IMGP5425.JPG
These are from seed selected from the smaller growing cultivars in our garden and from some with smaller leaves to see if I can get some better forms for smaller bonsai.
I probably won't bother pricking these out into individual pots this season unless I spot some with special characteristics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Seedlings 2021

Post by Pearcy001 »

Looking good Neil, although you may need even more bench space soon haha.
Do you usually liquid fertilize young seedlings soon after potting them up, or do you find the slow release is sufficient? I recently potted up a bunch of Ilex Serrata this Spring into 55mm pots, and now I'm thinking I should have gone larger, what size pots have you put the pine into?

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

All my seedlings for bonsai go straight into 11 cm squat pots that they will grow in for at least the first year. 55mm is OK for a start, provided you can manage watering adequately, but they will probably need to be potted on again before the end of the season.
These seedlings will get additional liquid feed whenever the rest of the plants get it - so every 2-4 weeks.
Miikeboyle
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: PJ Fig
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Miikeboyle »

In late autumn I found a few Trident Maple trees in a local park covered in seed. I collected some seed and stratified it in the fridge over winter. Germination was way better than I thought and I ended up with 3 pots jam packed with seedlings. I'll just grow them for a year and then decide what to do next when they are dormant. I really enjoy playing with Tridents after playing around with the seedlings I purchased from you a few years back.
IMG20211025142838_copy_2000x1500.jpg
IMG20211025142807_copy_1500x2000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

That is a LOT of tridents. Germination from fresh seed is usually really good whether you stratify or not.
Crowding will reduce growth but on the plus side they should all have shorter internodes on the trunks so potential to develop better trees or smaller trees from them.
If you do want to let some grow faster and bigger you can prick out a few as I showed for the pines. Tridents transplant really easy. Roots can be cut hard and they will respond with lots of laterals that will give better nebari in future.

Whatever you do there will be lots of seedlings to trade/ sell/ give to friends next winter - spring.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

shibui wrote:All my seedlings for bonsai go straight into 11 cm squat pots that they will grow in for at least the first year. 55mm is OK for a start, provided you can manage watering adequately, but they will probably need to be potted on again before the end of the season.
These seedlings will get additional liquid feed whenever the rest of the plants get it - so every 2-4 weeks.
Thanks Neil, I'm new to the seed game.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

Really appreciate the information and pictures. The internet is full of tips for advanced tree refinement; advice around development of early stock and seedling management is harder to come by but no less valuable. Cheers!

Andy
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”