Conifer Cleanup

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Conifer Cleanup

Post by TimS »

Given it was 30+ degrees in Melbourne today and i didn't feel much like getting stuck into the gardneing, i decided that i would catch up on some bonsai work that's due (or past due). It basically ended up being a clean up of most of my conifers to varying degrees. So now i'll kick back with a scotch and soda and post the updates. I'll get onto the deciduous and big trees tomorrow

Ezo Spruce #1 was first up. No before photo but it was just getting quite over grown. Thinned it out and cut back the strong shoots with the future plan to get a bit more definition and sight lines through the tree. I need to properly restyle this one but one thing at a time
After photo
Ezo1.jpg

Ezo Spruce #2. I quite like the rough look of this one, but it doesn't have much future direction as the branches are all over the shop. I don't want to completely sterilise it, but it only made sense if i turned it into a twin trunk with the lowest flat branch

Before:
Ezo2a.jpg
Ezo2b.jpg
After:
Ezo2c.jpg
Ezo2d.jpg

Hinoki Cypress. This has just been in a big nursery pot growing on, but time to cut it back a bit to let light back inside to inner foliage and start a new leader for better taper. Just an informal upright type thing going on.

Before:
hinokia.jpg
After
hinokib.jpg
i disturbed a visitor too, released safely outside of course
hinokif.jpg

Finally a dwarf Ginkgo, just a cut back and removed a few big leaves
Before
ginkgoa.jpg
after
ginkgob.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Conifer Cleanup

Post by GavinG »

For me, there's enough movement in the trunks of the second Ezo to make a good tree one day. Just as matter of tactics, because they are very slow growing, you might consider putting it into a large growing-on pot for a few years, to get thickness in the trunks and complexity in the branches. For me, a bonsai pot is the last thing that happens in the process.

Good luck, they all look promising.

Gavin
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

GavinG wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:03 am For me, there's enough movement in the trunks of the second Ezo to make a good tree one day. Just as matter of tactics, because they are very slow growing, you might consider putting it into a large growing-on pot for a few years, to get thickness in the trunks and complexity in the branches. For me, a bonsai pot is the last thing that happens in the process.

Good luck, they all look promising.

Gavin
I agree it should be in a plastic nursery pot, but i only have ones that are either too small or way too big, so for now it can be in that one until i happen upon a better option for it.

I agree it has a good future with the movement in the trunks, as you say they are very slow growing so it won't be any time in the near future.

Annoyingly the conifers i do like (ezo, hinoki, ginkgo) are all quite slow growers so it becomes very important to select good stock to start with.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

you sneaky thing! I didn't think you owned any conifers... :P
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:34 am you sneaky thing! I didn't think you owned any conifers... :P
Only non-spikey ones (ezo needles are very soft). The pines and needle junipers give me mad rashes on my arms touching them so i don't grow them but i love hinoki especially

Return to “Pines and Junipers”