Leptospermum scoparium leafs drop

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Lazac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Gardenia jasminoides
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Leptospermum scoparium leafs drop

Post by Lazac »

greg27 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:26 pm Hi Lazac, it's always interesting to read about people growing Aussie natives overseas so please do keep us updated, even if your tree suffers rather than thrives. There's another member on here growing a casuarina in Sweden; those updates are always a good read.

We're still learning about the best way to grow our natives as bonsai so it's even better when people in other places are trying to learn about them too.
Hi Greg! :)
Thank you for the answer! :) I brought some update about the last 2 days. The foliage is still green, leafe dropping happens only if I touch the tree, and the fallen leafed are from the inside and lower level of the foliage. Maybe the light was not enough for her, because in the first 5-6 days I did not put it under the lamps, just at the window seal. :lost:

I made some photos about the tree and about the inner leafes. The soil is constantly moist now, I water it more frequently, and it really drinks incredible much water. 😨
And I see new buds at almost every branches.

I think I have felt in love with leptos, even if they are so fussy, so I just ordered another one from a nursery from Italy. 😄😬 its not a pre bonsai, just a nursery stock tree, but in other flower color variety than mine.😬

I attach some photos about the current status of my tree and also about the new one which will come.
1DED7808-6458-44E4-8E41-4AF75A3D9CAD.jpeg
8A9D26CE-43F1-4834-8DC5-6E6C0D3E12DE.jpeg
635CB689-0452-4057-B520-D8889CA30091.jpeg
E6AFBDB0-28C7-42D1-ADCC-2E9E5F5389E3.jpeg
E78C198C-C1A8-4D60-A320-71F5EE51D20D.jpeg
7BF2A90A-7A1A-405A-8184-7FB6DD189512.jpeg
5456AD5B-8120-487E-8D42-2B089F5226D4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Re humidity, Wiki says it grows in the drier, nutrient poor areas of eastern Australia but is widespread in New Zealand, So maybe keep humidity where it is.

I too love Leptospermum and am trialling many different types. Will start threads when appropriate.

I have about 12 types in the garden already.

Grant
Lazac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Lazac »

Grant Bowie wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:05 pm Re humidity, Wiki says it grows in the drier, nutrient poor areas of eastern Australia but is widespread in New Zealand, So maybe keep humidity where it is.

I too love Leptospermum and am trialling many different types. Will start threads when appropriate.

I have about 12 types in the garden already.

Grant
Yes i have checked about NZ humidity and as I saw it’s really not that humid area! The tree today:
682D9601-AD2A-47B7-ABFC-14FB3493B851.jpeg
68F8C7D3-BEB1-4BE6-9C20-DCCE175A57CB.jpeg
Still nice green! :fc: 😍

And now I have found a Leptospermum lanigerum in an online nursery in my country (Hungary)! Is it as difficult species like the scoparium?

And I have purchased a “waxflower” (chamelaucium) yesterday in a nursery at the “save me shelf”!😄 As I found out its also your native! 🙂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Leptospermum lanigerum can make good bonsai, and is a bit less sensitive than L. scoparium. If you are going to wire them, do it when they are young, as they get stiff very quickly. good luck!

Gavin
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

egészségedre, and good luck to you.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:08 am Leptospermum lanigerum can make good bonsai, and is a bit less sensitive than L. scoparium. If you are going to wire them, do it when they are young, as they get stiff very quickly. good luck!

Gavin
Yep, good advice. Leptospermum scoparium is a very, very difficult species to bonsai from advanced nursery stock. Its generally a 50/50 chance of survival, even if you are really cautious and don't remove much. Its better to start with younger material of this species.
I have never had an advanced Leptsopermum scoparium surivive long term. If they are bonsai'd from a young age its much easier to just reduce the rootball a little every 2 years.

But Leptospermum lanigerum is quite hardy and is great material to bonsai.

Also, Grant is spot on, if the conditions allow it, keep your tree outside.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Lazac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Lazac »

Grant Bowie wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 3:04 pm egészségedre, and good luck to you.
Woooow, köszönöm szépen! 😲😁😁
Lazac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Lazac »

GavinG wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:08 am Leptospermum lanigerum can make good bonsai, and is a bit less sensitive than L. scoparium. If you are going to wire them, do it when they are young, as they get stiff very quickly. good luck!

Gavin
Thank you Gavin! I will buy then that lanigerum! It’s in a 2 liters container so it’s pretty young! :)
Lazac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Lazac »

Rory wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:41 pm

Gavin
Yep, good advice. Leptospermum scoparium is a very, very difficult species to bonsai from advanced nursery stock. Its generally a 50/50 chance of survival, even if you are really cautious and don't remove much. Its better to start with younger material of this species.
I have never had an advanced Leptsopermum scoparium surivive long term. If they are bonsai'd from a young age its much easier to just reduce the rootball a little every 2 years.

But Leptospermum lanigerum is quite hardy and is great material to bonsai.

Also, Grant is spot on, if the conditions allow it, keep your tree outside.
Thank you Rory! I will try also with the lanigerum. It has the same water needs as the scoparium? By google I have found also that it likes to me moist all the time, but some pages write it likes to be dry out a little bit.

About my nursery stock scoparium which is on the way from Italy: should I just make the first styleing and branch selection first and reduce the rootball later, or they can be done at the same time, or first better just reduce the rootball a little bit without prune the foliage?
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

This is the best advice I have for Letpospermjm scopariums:

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=29439

Also, with any material for bonsai, you should never really leave them permanently wet. Don’t allow them to get bone-dry.
You simply water potted trees when they are getting on the drier side. Stick your finger into the mix, about halfway in, and if not too many specs of dirt stay on your finger, then it’s definitely time to re-water.

But if it’s going to be a hot and or windy day, and it might dry out halfway through the day, you should water it before you go to work.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Lazac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Lazac »

Hi Guys! :wave:

I came with some updates about my Lepto! It’s doing well, no leave (or leafe?🙈) dropping since that time, it’s pretty green and flower buds are growing. I water it daily.
DB92E690-2F18-442C-BEBD-0C5CEEAFAB52.jpeg
The other one I have ordered from Italy also arrived, I have just cut some lower branches, haven’t made any further yet, as I know it’s sensitive.😄
EB69D621-C22E-41C6-82C1-94BBC60C3209.jpeg
And the tiny Lanigerum also arrived. It’s really very young and tiny, so only wired the trunk and the branches, and I will let if grow in its original container. 🙂
4C32B0B6-5B01-4D05-ADD0-09C35D3381C3.jpeg
26E14E7B-74DE-4A9A-AD82-94967BB48468.jpeg
Lazac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Lazac »

greg27 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:26 pm Hi Lazac, it's always interesting to read about people growing Aussie natives overseas so please do keep us updated, even if your tree suffers rather than thrives. There's another member on here growing a casuarina in Sweden; those updates are always a good read.

We're still learning about the best way to grow our natives as bonsai so it's even better when people in other places are trying to learn about them too.
Hi Greg!
I came with update again, the lepto is doing well! 🙂 it’s one month with me, I see new root growing in the hole of the bottom of the pot, the first flower (at me) opened today, flower buds are growing, and also new leafes are coming! 🙂
3135CA39-0B7B-4B4E-B761-CF268292720A.jpeg
702CDCC6-673E-4679-B679-F13DAB7BD1E3.jpeg

Return to “Australian Native Species”