Layering (Allo-)Casuarinas???

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Layering (Allo-)Casuarinas???

Post by FlyBri »

Gday Team Oz!

Has anybody had any luck layering any of the She-oaks (Casuarina, Allocasuarina, whatever...)? I've been assured by members of another International site that it is possible to strike quite large cuttings of the genus/genera, yet I've had no joy despite good signs initially. I tried one layer on an unconfirmed Allocasuarina, and over the few months that the medium was in place, the wound site appeared unaffected as did the upper growth. In the end I opted for the 'chop and take lots of cuttings' approach. Needles to say, the cuttings - from 6 to 20mm thick - all failed eventually. Admittedly, our recent weather - and my lack of access to a continuous, conscionable water supply has brought about the demise of most of my more 'marginal' material, struggling cuttings included.

The reason I ask is that I have a She-oak which has particularly nice bark that is deeply fissured, and seems to accentuate the taper of the trunk. The new growth of this specimen is quite vigorous, and the foliage (or the growth in between the foliage) is delightful. I once saw a Dr Seuss-like red pompom flower on it before I decided to chop. I need to further reduce the lower trunk, and I'd love it if there was a way to do that without simply throwing the upper potion into the compost bin.

I'll try to get photos tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Fly.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Layering (Allo-)Casuarinas???

Post by FlyBri »

FlyBri wrote:I'll try to get photos tomorrow.
As promised... Sorry about the dull images, but the sun isn't co-operating today.
She-oak_Feb_09_01.jpg
She-oak_Feb_09_02.jpg
She-oak_Feb_09_03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

You are a practical soul aren't you Fly. I think a punk would toss the top instead of wasting time air layering the top.
Hey how about try a cutting again but use Pup's Honey :ugeek:
Last edited by Bretts on February 21st, 2009, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FlyBri »

soltan wrote:You are a practical soul aren't you Fly. I think a punk would toss the top instead of wasting time air layering the top.
Hey how about try a cutting again but use Pup's Honey :ugeek:
Gday Brettles!

I had a spare minute or two on my hands yesterday afternoon, so I thought I'd finally bite the bullet and do something about this tree.

She-oak_Mar_09_01.jpg
She-oak_Mar_09_02.jpg
She-oak_Mar_09_03.jpg
She-oak_Mar_09_04.jpg
She-oak_Mar_09_05.jpg
She-oak_Mar_09_06.jpg
She-oak_Mar_09_07.jpg
Now it's time to wait for nature to run its course.

Thanks.

Fly.

PS: I'm no punk! I'm a Uke Folkie! :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

nice work fly i eagerly await the results. i too have a couple of contenders for this procedure. thanks for sharing. :D
Regards Antonio:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day Fly I'm a country Fan. Also a natives fan, I like what you have done and I will be watching with anticipation.
Like you I do hope it works as I have said a mate of mine did a Casuarina cunninghamii. Good luck :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FlyBri »

Thanks gents!
Pup wrote:Like you I do hope it works as I have said a mate of mine did a Casuarina cunninghamii.
When I bought the tree, the hand-written label said 'Casuarina cunninghamiana, River She-Oak'. I have neither confirmed nor disproved this ID.

Thanks again.

Fly.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

I have successfully dug up sheoaks that were flattened by bushbikes and the trunks had layered along the ground. When I rescued them there was little root development but they both survived. The trunks are approx 3-4cm dia. They are now being trained as a raft style.
Penny.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

:bump: Hi FlyBri, I am very interested as to how the layer using the skirt method turned out?
I noticed that you took off the outer bark as you figured it would come off anyway...have the roots started to form anymore fissured bark??
Was hoping you could update this thread when you get a chance.
Thanks, Dario. :)
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FlyBri »

Dario wrote::bump: Hi FlyBri, I am very interested as to how the layer using the skirt method turned out?
I noticed that you took off the outer bark as you figured it would come off anyway...have the roots started to form anymore fissured bark??
Was hoping you could update this thread when you get a chance.
Thanks, Dario. :)
Gday Dario!

I'm sorry to report that this particular experiment was a failure. From memory, the layering medium dried out, and I got tired of waiting, so I chopped the trunk much lower in order to concentrate on the tree below. I'd still be interested in knowing if it is possible to layer She-Oaks.

Thanks.

Fly.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I haven't tried layering these species (will have to try it on a couple of likely candidates once the sap starts to move, but that's another project), but re cuttings drying out, could I suggest that you try the "No fuss propegator"method that I use for cuttings (See past thread by that name, not sure if it is in this section or "Tips, techniques, etc").

Here's a pic of the soft drink bottle unit that I use, the water well in the bottom insures that the cuttings stay at optimum moisture level and never dry out. Watering the "pot" section at the top, tops up the level in the water well base and a hole poked in the side of the water well (above the level of the neck/cap area of the pot section) insures that any surplus can get away.
2009-05-15_Propagator.jpg
Hope this helps,

Jan
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Thanks for updating FlyBri, sorry to hear that the layer didn't happen for you :no:
I will try layering a casaurina in a couple of months and will post the outcome. Never done it before but seem to nb some members saying that they have had success layering this species :lost: All the info I have "READ" about them says that they strike from cuttings and layer too....just what I have read though.
Hi Jan, I read your "No fuss propegator" thread for the first time a couple of weeks ago and will be sure to try it as I think it could do well especially with certain natives like casaurina, so thanks for sharing the method you use!
Cheers, Dario. :D

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”