Istari
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japenese Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Queensland Bottle Tree

Post by Istari »

Hi Guys & Gals,

Was just wondering if anyone had ever done one of these? what the results were? any tips or tricks that could be passed on? I've loved the full grown trees that ive seen so decided to give it a go, have just tonight purchased some seeds online. So we'll see how it goes, Just thought id put the question out there?

Cheers,
Istari.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: Queensland Bottle Tree

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Istari, I had one of these for years when I lived in inner Melbourne, it flourished and flowered heavily every second year. It really objected to the move to a cooler climate so I gave it to a friend. You would need to grow a fairly large tree as the leaf size doesn't reduce drastically and do the root work during the warm season. Really they can be treated just like any other native tree.
Craigw
Istari
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japenese Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Istari »

thanks for the tips craig :)
closetbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: leptospermum laevigatum
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by closetbonsai »

Hi Istari, i have grown one up from a seedling. It had a big tap root like a carrot which i chopped off completely to try and get some decent roots. It came back and is flourishing but it seems as if the trunk is enlarging beneath the soil rather than where you want it for bonsai and it may have developed some big chunky roots. Like craig said it would need to be a large bonsai to look effective as the leaves are on long stalks.
Rainbow Fig
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Rainbow Fig »

I have this tree grown from seed 1985, struggled for many years to get more than one leading branch, but did succeed in a litorati style, I have since lost all but one major leading branch, but fraught with problems, would love a nice fat round thing as in nature, but always a project for later.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Brachychiton”