Getting a good price?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Re: Getting a good price?

Post by Bush bunny »

It's a bit difficult not knowing the size and genus of the tree. I can get bonsai pots for less than $30, and they are quite big ones. And starter bonsai for as little as $4.00. (Less than 6 inches high). I usually take them out of their bonsai pots, and but them in a plastic pot until they grow and I have something to work on. Not that I am very experienced.
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Ent »

Looks like a Ficus Benjamina to me.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Bush bunny wrote:It's a bit difficult not knowing the size and genus of the tree. I can get bonsai pots for less than $30, and they are quite big ones. And starter bonsai for as little as $4.00. (Less than 6 inches high). I usually take them out of their bonsai pots, and but them in a plastic pot until they grow and I have something to work on. Not that I am very experienced.
I'd say its a ficus also, and about two and half bricks tall :P haha
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

I would want to know first what species and genus it is. And its size. We all appreciate some genus is more expensive than others. And some are slow or fast growers. Come on guys, we should all take that in account when pricing a specimen.
gerald randall
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, Ficus
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Cape

Post by gerald randall »

I notice two conversations here. One which hints towards a price if this tree was grown from nursery stock and another around the price if it was bought as it is in the photo.

The tree was bought as it appears in the photo, as a bonsai. Once considered a bonsai, the price is always higher than if we created it ourselves. I can buy a bag ficus for $10 and that pot for $15. If I bought it at the same nursery, but as a potted bonsai, the price goes to $40-50 minimum.

I am amazed that some comments are $70-100. In my opinion that is high. I am converting currency, but what I can buy for the equivalent $100, some may be very shocked at. We get great raw stock here.

I know this tree is not raw stock, so I stick to my $40-50 estimate.

It would be great to know what the price actually was???????
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Post by wattynine »

I throw in my estimate here around the same as the others, about $50, in saying that, Benjamin's grow up here like weeds and I would not have purchased one as a bonsai, just go and pull one out of a gutter, or growing in another tree, or in a crack in a rock wall, like I said, up here they grow like weeds.
This is a nice tree with some movement in the trunk as it has been said but this could be replicated in about two years in a big pot with seedling stock.
Just my two cents.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

When buying any potential bonsai, like I have from a garden centre, like a white pine in plant pot, I usually pay $AU40. You add the cost of the pot, say $15. I really don't know but if you liked it buy it. I like the trunk shape.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Seeing some of the answers here, at Bunnings, any tree in a bonsai pot, that has been worked on, you are looking at 80-200 dollars. Usually the dearer solitary trees, have a year when started on them. There was one deciduous Chinese elm started in 1996, for $168. Another elm, with thick trunk, heavily pruned 1999. For $148. Needless to say at last look, neither had come back into leaf. I bought a 2010 azalea, for Rhododendron obstusim, saolome azalea for $8.14. In a small plant pot.
It's very small though, about 6-7 with no trunk showing. But it is throwing out new leaves. Another in a double bonsai pots, for $13.00. Much smaller and tiny. It wasn't doing too well, and I found the inner pot had no drainage hole. They explained that it was a promotion. They gave me a full rebate, and threw away the pots. (I still see some still in double pots for sale). Even after I explained in strong words, it was a no no. Stick a cutting in a double pot and call it a bonsai is subterfuge.

This one had a Azalea written in black ink, but instructions about Serissa care. Confusion reigned but it has been re-potted and throwing out some new leaves, after nearly dieing.

So the bonsai pot does make a difference as Gerald points out. :aussie: And if it looks as if it has been trained? I am not sure if it is a ficus, guys.? :lost:
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Dear Bushbunny, if that's not a ficus benjamina then my name is Michael Jackson, and I have a hat and a little white glove.

For me now, when I look at the value of a tree I look at the tree and what's gone into it's creation. This is a ficus that appears to have been grown through a lattice to get some movement. It's had no real training as a bonsai other than being put into a pot. It is grown ina style that in my mind is not really 'right' for a fig (like deciduous trees grown as pines etc), so it's styling is somehow just wrong for me. I'd not pay much for this particular tree. In fact, I'd not buy it at all. But, that's my opinion based on what I like, and if someone else likes the tree's style and look, then big up to them! Then to them it has value, and they are welcome to pay whatever they feel it's worth. In my mind, this tree is worth the value of the pot, and the value of a ficus pot plant which has not received bonsai training.

I see some trees advertised on Gumtree locally, and it does not matter what you say, but they are poor bonsai. The owner then goes on to say that they are 27 years old (pick a number) as a bonsai, and then asks a high price for the tree as if 27 years of training somehow justifies a high price. I can nip, nip, nip, and nip any tree to look like a poodle, but it does not make it a good bonsai. Three years of training by a competent grower is in my mind worth FAR more! Then again, if someone is wiling to hoof out a fortune for them, so be it.

Cheerio.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

I paid $40 for this [before styling]:

I'd like to here how much you paid for your stock, Ive heard some outlandish prices for 'bonsai' but anything over 20 for that is ridiculous, unless there's a scarcity of Benji's in W.a?
sekans
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by sekans »

Sorry for the late reply!

Firstly this is most certainly a Ficus benjamina. It was purchased from a nursery (not exclusively a bonsai nursery, however they do have quite a large selection), I paid just under $20 for this tree in the pot as photographed.
lolofied
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by lolofied »

Andrew F wrote:I paid $40 for this [before styling]:

I'd like to here how much you paid for your stock, Ive heard some outlandish prices for 'bonsai' but anything over 20 for that is ridiculous, unless there's a scarcity of Benji's in W.a?
1. What tree is that?

2. I'll be flying over tomorrow.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

1. Ficus Benjamina.

2. Good luck getting it back into W.a.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

The issue was never 'what species is this', as that was a no brainer. Ficus benjamina is one of the most recognizable trees you can use because of their lovely distinct foliage. We have quite a few of them as house plants because they grow so well indoors. They also grow very well as bonsai, just like most figs. 'Shorty' is the particular variety you want to use.

If you like the stock, then one is to be happy with what they pay. I am a sucker for the certain species I like. But someone else with a grounded mind would pay based off the styling, whereas I am youngish and foolish, so I get excited about the age and stock of a particular species first.

Bush Bunny.... Just to show you. This is a picture of a Ficus Benjamina, so you can see for yourself they are the same. :)

Last edited by Rory on September 6th, 2014, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
lolofied
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by lolofied »

Andrew F wrote:1. Ficus Benjamina.

2. Good luck getting it back into W.a.
Im from Vic haha

Return to “Tropical”