MOSS REMOVAL - Time Lapse

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

MOSS REMOVAL - Time Lapse

Post by Rory »

This is a time lapse sequence to show you my attempts to remove Moss that is growing on 2 of the trunks of my trees.
There have been a few threads lately where people have asked about removal of moss, so I thought I would let actual photos do the additional talking.

Moss may eventually rot and destroy the fragile and aged bark on your trees trunks. Its not wise to allow it to grow on many types of trees. And due to the recent torrential rain and damp conditions Australia has been subjected to, a lot of growers may now be experiencing significant moss build up.
yates.jpg

I initially used Yates Anti Rot spray many years ago, so I just forgot that I had to use a fairly stronger concentration and wait a few days for the results to really knock it on the head. I think by memory it took about 2 weeks to a month to effectively eradicate the moss. So it will be interesting if it successfully works.

But like all chemicals, I would suggest starting with a lower concentration and building up slowly to make sure there are no ill side effects from your tree. (I'd start at 10mL per litre, and move upwards).

The first example, is with an Allocasuarina torulosa showing the front and back
Tree1 SideB.jpg
Tree1 SideA.jpg

I have included shots from Day 0 and Day 7. This has very fragile and deeply fissured bark. So this makes it almost impossible to safely remove the buildup of moss simply by using tweezers or 'scraping' if off, because it usually has a firm hold on the bark.
(Just for relevance though, the dark black section was from my attempts at burning it off many years ago. And on top of that, there is also a very slow fungus that grows and eventually covers the entire trunk in a thick black covering if it is allowed to grow)

So I will be using nothing but Yates Anti Rot on this time lapse. Initially I used it at 12mL per 1000mL of water on Day 0. (12 mL per 1 litre in other words).
This was not very effective, but you have to wait about 2-3 days to see the effect, as it slowly weakens the moss. On day 4, I increased the concentration to 25mL per 1 litre of water, as this is about closer to what I was using many moons ago in my early success of moss eradication.
I sprayed the trunk every second day.

I will continue to use a concentration of about 20 mL per 1 litre of water in future.
I sprayed many Melaleucas and Leptos to see if there were any ill effects from this on the foliage or roots of these species too, as they would probably be my most sensitive material to sprays. There have been no visual reduction in the health on any of the material I have heavily sprayed after 2 weeks of testing them.

The second example is Banksia integrifolia with Day 0 and Day 7.
Tree2.jpg

Now with most of my trees that don't have fragile bark I simply scrape off the moss when i notice it developing (a course brush or sharp blade). But with this tree, I will use this as another test case and not scrape anything off.
I sprayed it initially with 12mL per 1000mL of water as well, then realized it takes too long at that rate, so I also increased the concentration to 25mL per litre of water.
I sprayed the trunk every second day.

For both trees now I will also continue to use approximately 20-25mL of Anti Rot concentrate per 1 litre of water for the future updates on this thread.

And a side note, I have not scrapped off ANY of the moss. This is simply spraying with the Yates Anti-Rot product and leaving it be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: MOSS REMOVAL - Time Lapse

Post by Rory »

Day14-a.jpg
Day14-b.jpg
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Looks good Rory. I tried iron sulphate which worked but stains black. I'm going to try the anti rot. :beer:
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

treeman wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:56 pm Looks good Rory. I tried iron sulphate which worked but stains black. I'm going to try the anti rot. :beer:
Yeah its my go-to. After initially using a flame thrower, it was the most effective, but unfortunately I had die back from some branches as I obviously killed the circumference of the cambium from being too close on some material with the fire. Although the after effect is really cool, as it depicts a bush fire survivor. But I'd prefer not to risk it with fire again.

But whatever species you're spraying on, just build it up slowly just to be on the safe side. I have not seen any die-back or decline in health from any of the lepto or Mels that I sprayed, but its better to be safe than sorry.
I noticed that optimal death to the moss appears to be about 25 mL per litre. You generally see the effect about 36 hours after spraying each time. Maybe even 30mL per litre would be faster at killing it.

But bare in mind, I have continually been spraying the trunks every 2nd day.

I'd just make sure its on spray mode, and only use a hand spray so that you're mainly targeting the moss and not the soil. Although I have used it many times on root-rot, and its extremely effective at stopping root rot too.

Its also incredibly effective at eradicating fungus.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Stuartxt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Stuartxt »

Have you tried 50% water & 50% vinegar. One spray, and a week later the moss is almost completely dead.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Stuartxt wrote: August 8th, 2022, 8:13 am Have you tried 50% water & 50% vinegar. One spray, and a week later the moss is almost completely dead.
I haven't tried it no. I prefer the benefits of Anti Rot. Also, if its that powerful as you say, I am wondering what it might be doing to the roots.

Google 'vinegar and tree roots'.... you can keep that. I'd rather not take any risk.

Yates Anti Rot is not as strong if that is the case, but it is very beneficial to the tree as it is a systemic fungicide.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Google says
From an American gardening site

Trees aren't as susceptible to vinegar damage as grass is. If the tree is several years old and well-established, spraying nearby weeds with vinegar shouldn't affect the tree at all, even if overspray drifts to the tree. Pouring vinegar over individual weeds under the tree also is unlikely to be a problem.28 Nov 2018
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Elmer wrote: August 8th, 2022, 4:59 pm Google says
From an American gardening site

Trees aren't as susceptible to vinegar damage as grass is. If the tree is several years old and well-established, spraying nearby weeds with vinegar shouldn't affect the tree at all, even if overspray drifts to the tree. Pouring vinegar over individual weeds under the tree also is unlikely to be a problem.28 Nov 2018
Every single site I visited with 'vinegar tree roots' says its an effective solution for killing roots.
That says enough for me.

Remember, a well established tree has roots spreading down to China. A bonsai has all its fresh roots right there in a tiny container for you to cover with vinegar.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Stuartxt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Stuartxt »

Thanks Rory, I will take your advice on that.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I just checked some sources on the active ingredient of Anti Rot - mono and di potassium phosphonate.
One source says:
While perfectly capable to supply potassium to the plant, the phosphorus in phosphite form is unavailable to plants, and may even inhibit the uptake of the normal phosphate form if used in excess.

Given Rory is using this at around 3-5 times recommended rates I wonder if that would constitute 'excess'?

Safety directions are given on all fungicides containing phosphorus acid:
SAFETY DIRECTIONS May irritate eyes and skin. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Do not inhale spray mist. When preparing spray and using the prepared spray, wear cotton overalls buttoned to the neck and wrist, washable hat, elbow-length PVC gloves, goggles and disposable face mask. If clothing becomes contaminated with product or wet with spray, remove clothing immediately. If product on skin, immediately wash area with soap and water. If product in eyes, wash it out immediately with water. After use and before eating, drinking or smoking, wash hands, arms and face thoroughly with soap and water. After each day’s use, wash gloves, goggles and contaminated clothing. Wash hands after use.

I haven't noticed any similar warnings on vinegar??

Each to their own though and anyone is welcome to use Anti Rot for moss control if they want to. I've been very impressed with the vinegar solution and have not seen any problems so I'll keep using it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Here is a link for the material safety data sheet.

https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9624 ... 3f454f.pdf
--
No idea what I am doing…
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

I use a paint brush dipped in 100% vinegar . It works well . I wouldn’t spray it on , partly because I would be worried it could affect the roots or change the ph . But the main reason is I grow moss as a ground cover in my pots for looks and for frost protection .If you paint it on the trunks it doesn’t harm the moss in the pots .
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

shibui wrote: August 8th, 2022, 5:57 pm I just checked some sources on the active ingredient of Anti Rot - mono and di potassium phosphonate.
One source says:
While perfectly capable to supply potassium to the plant, the phosphorus in phosphite form is unavailable to plants, and may even inhibit the uptake of the normal phosphate form if used in excess.

Given Rory is using this at around 3-5 times recommended rates I wonder if that would constitute 'excess'?

Safety directions are given on all fungicides containing phosphorus acid:
SAFETY DIRECTIONS May irritate eyes and skin. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Do not inhale spray mist. When preparing spray and using the prepared spray, wear cotton overalls buttoned to the neck and wrist, washable hat, elbow-length PVC gloves, goggles and disposable face mask. If clothing becomes contaminated with product or wet with spray, remove clothing immediately. If product on skin, immediately wash area with soap and water. If product in eyes, wash it out immediately with water. After use and before eating, drinking or smoking, wash hands, arms and face thoroughly with soap and water. After each day’s use, wash gloves, goggles and contaminated clothing. Wash hands after use.

I haven't noticed any similar warnings on vinegar??

Each to their own though and anyone is welcome to use Anti Rot for moss control if they want to. I've been very impressed with the vinegar solution and have not seen any problems so I'll keep using it.
Recommended dose is:

Mature citrus (except container grown Mandarin trees)
Disease:Phytophthora Root Rot, Collar Rot
Rate:100 - 160ml in 12L water per tree

------------------------------------

So Yates Anti Rot is recommended at on average 13ml per 12L of water, which equates to about 11mL per litre of water.

I'm using roughly 20-25 mL per litre, so its only about twice the recommended dose :)

You can happily use it at 11mL per litre, it just takes a bit longer to kill the moss, so no dramas.

Generally, with recommended doses like fertilizer as well, most bonsai growers use the amount recommended for trees, and not the younger material dosage recommendations. But like most new liquids, it is always best to start low and build up.

I agree with Shibui though to use whatever works for the person.
Shibui, I hope you weren't personally taking issue with me saying Anti-Rot works for me and that you should stop using vinegar, it was just an added recommendation that I was very happy with. :beer:

I've spilt it undiluted all over myself plenty of times, and never felt anything. Felt no different to spilling water on me, but I wouldn't recommend bathing in it, haha.
shibui wrote: August 8th, 2022, 5:57 pm "Do not inhale spray mist. When preparing spray and using the prepared spray, wear cotton overalls buttoned to the neck and wrist, washable hat, elbow-length PVC gloves, goggles and disposable face mask."
That warning is ... overkill.
shibui wrote: August 8th, 2022, 5:57 pm I haven't noticed any similar warnings on vinegar??
Thats because you're not a tree root Shibui. :lol: .. I immediately regret that joke.
Last edited by Rory on August 8th, 2022, 8:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Reading the MSDS it seems the risk is more about getting it in your eyes.

A reminder that you probably should wear eye protection.
--
No idea what I am doing…
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Having no need for either, but basically having moved to vinegar for nearly all my cleaning needs in order to reduce costs and need for harsh chemicals (it is particularly good at killing mould spores) my uninformed vote is for it!
--
No idea what I am doing…

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”